New Steering Wheel Wiring Question - 2022 w/ heating

Seaweed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TaV
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grabber Blue Mustang GT 401A
My new wheel came with heating element but no plug. It has a red, black, and 2 blue wires. I noticed the connector to existing heating element, and was going to cut and splice/solder the plug onto these wires. My only question is the 2 blue wires match up to two blue wires on existing, is there a right/wrong for which blue goes where? Like are these blue wires non polar so it does not matter maybe? Any help appreciated.
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Picture would help but from the sound of it I'd assume two wires of the same color non-terminated are not meant to be specific. I don't remember what was in there but if it's two small wires that go to the heating element I'd guess it is an OT sensor and not polarity specific.

OP
OP

Seaweed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TaV
Vehicle(s)
Picture would help but from the sound of it I'd assume two wires of the same color non-terminated are not meant to be specific. I don't remember what was in there but if it's two small wires that go to the heating element I'd guess it is an OT sensor and not polarity specific.
here is a photo of my wheel. In middle there is the 2 blue , 1 black and 1 red wire. Thank you for help.

IMG_6977.jpeg

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Odd that they are the same gauge wire. No instructions or documentation with the wheel I'm assuming?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Seaweed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TaV
Vehicle(s)
I guess I can try, whats the worse that can happen? I just wont have heated steering. Maybe not worth trying? I dont wanna blow something up lol.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
1710090098351.png

This jogged my memory, I think it is an OT sensor but it looks like it doesn't have polarity.

OP
OP

Seaweed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TaV
Vehicle(s)
1710090098351.png

This jogged my memory, I think it is an OT sensor but it looks like it doesn't have polarity.
Yeah I saw that online too. Thats the connector I will splice into when I remove my old wheel today.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Test continuity on it in the wheel. If it's a continuous circuit with no resistance then it's likely a switch with no polarity

OP
OP

Seaweed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TaV
Vehicle(s)
Test continuity on it in the wheel. If it's a continuous circuit with no resistance then it's likely a switch with no polarity
I am fairly new to this, so just test it on the two blue exposed wires on the new wheel?

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I am fairly new to this, so just test it on the two blue exposed wires on the new wheel?
Yes, there's not much else they can be but if you test resistance across the two blue wires coming out of the steering wheel I'd bet they are low/no resistance of a switch. Testing the red/black should yield a medium resistance of a heater element for comparison.

OP
OP

Seaweed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TaV
Vehicle(s)
Yes, there's not much else they can be but if you test resistance across the two blue wires coming out of the steering wheel I'd bet they are low/no resistance of a switch. Testing the red/black should yield a medium resistance of a heater element for comparison.
Awesome thank you. I will try this shortly, thank you for all the info.

jloshotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Yes, just read across the two blue wires with a meter set on continuity or ohms. If it rings (continuity) or gives you an ohm reading (anything other than ā€œOLā€ or open, then itā€™s either a sensor (assuming itā€™s a normally closed sensor) or the heating element itself (which is what Iā€™m thinking it is) and polarity wonā€™t matter šŸ‘šŸ»

jloshotz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Iā€™m thinking the red/black is just the power +/- Let us know what goes šŸ˜Ž

Dler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Did you happen to contact the place you bought it at and ask them? Or did you buy it from an individualā€¦ā€¦
Sponsored