Sponsored

New Pzero "PZ4" VS Michelin PS4S Review

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

Not sure if posted here but finally a decent tyres test that actually compares the new F1AS3, PS4S and Pzero "PZ4" directly against each other:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-performance-summer-tire-test-feature

Good to know Michelin are still leading by a considerable margin in pretty much every area. My Jaaag had the new PZ4 Pzero's fitted and though they were not as unpredictable or laughable in the cold wet as the older original Pzero was on my Mustang, I could definitely feel that the newer PZ4 still had that sudden grip loss at limits of traction, thankfully with an AWD the car does a much better job at keeping things tidy than the Mustang did in the wet.

But when I removed my near new (6-7mm tread remaining) PZ4 Pzero tyres from my SVR and fitted PS4S the grip in these Winter cold wet conditions was transformed, talking a good few mph faster through corners, roundabouts etc. but when finally at the grip limits and beyond the tyre was simply far better behaved and more predictable, whereas the PZ4 just let go more sudden. As such as many of us found by changing from Pzero to MPSS the car becomes more fun and confident inspiring to drive on the Michelin rubber.

Is the Pzero PZ4 a bad tyre? NO! It is actually a very good tyre, it beats a lot of other premium performance tyres and is vastly superior to a lot of the budget crap on the market, but there are definitely better tyres than the Pzero, considerably better in cold wet conditions, which face it the UK is generally cold and wet a lot of the time. I will always go for Michelin and generally always MPSS or PS4S for their outright performance, but also because I like the fact they seem to last more than double the distance of competing tyres and generally cost no extra. I am aware their are now continentals with similar performance, but from the people I know who have had them, are now back in Michelin camp simply due to longevity being much better on the Michelins for no additional cost.

What I would say on cars I've driven with both MPSS and PS4S, I actually prefer the subjective feel of MPSS, there is more feedback, dry performance seems identical but in the wet the PS4S do hold on better than MPSS, but on the flip side the MPSS inspire a touch more confidence. Either PS4S or MPSS both are a definite upgrade over old Pzero and newer PZ4 variant especially in typical UK driving conditions, WET and COLD!
Sponsored

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Would MPSS front and PS4S rears be a safe mix do you think?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Would MPSS front and PS4S rears be a safe mix do you think?
Safe yes, should you no.

Suspect it will be fine buddy absolute worse case in the wet it might be more prone to understeer due to better wet tyre on the back, never a bad handling balance for safety. :)
Sponsored