Sponsored

New Intake Cam set in development

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Hey all,

I just wanted to give a bit of a tip off about a new cam set that is currently in development. Most of you, at least those who have spent time in the Coyote world, have heard of Shaun at AED..one of the best in the business for tuning the Coyote family of motors.
He's been working with a cam company in designing a custom intake cam set for the 2011-2014 motors that has only gains over the stock cams and none of the power loss that is found with the Comp Stage 2/3 cams. Now it's not a huge gain, around 20-25 WHP at 4,000+, but it's there and they don't require phaser limiters, lockouts or aftermarket valve springs and the tuning is VERY straightforward.
He's currently working on the prototypes fo the 2015+ motors..if this sounds like something anyone is interested, might want to reach out to him at http://www.advancedenginedevelopment.com/
Sponsored

Last edited:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What's it cost to have cams changed usually? I can figure the associated tuning, but I mean the engine work. There was a time I could do this stuff myself, but that house with a garage and a lift is now owned by someone else and they paid way too much for it. ;)

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Would be interested in this as well, . . . . . . .

OP
OP

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
What's it cost to have cams changed usually? I can figure the associated tuning, but I mean the engine work. There was a time I could do this stuff myself, but that house with a garage and a lift is now owned by someone else and they paid way too much for it. ;)
IIRC...most shops charge 8 hours of labor for cam swaps on the Coyotes..

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Sub

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Is he testing with the stock GT intake or is he playing with the GT350 intake?

OP
OP

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Is he testing with the stock GT intake or is he playing with the GT350 intake?
It was tested on an Aluminator XS and showed a gain on that.

With a stock GT intake and cam...I'm not sure. Shaun's super friendly, shoot him an email.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
You select a cam based on your rpm range your looking to live in with the car

Stage 3 doesn't mean it's better than stage 1 or means it's for a higher rpm range

If there was a magic cam formula that made more power at 1500 and 8000 and had great drivability and idle characteristics. Don't you tino everyone would be offering them...the comps do what they ate intended to do. At the rpm range they are made for

Sponsored
OP
OP

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
You select a cam based on your rpm range your looking to live in with the car

Stage 3 doesn't mean it's better than stage 1 or means it's for a higher rpm range

If there was a magic cam formula that made more power at 1500 and 8000 and had great drivability and idle characteristics. Don't you tino everyone would be offering them...the comps do what they ate intended to do. At the rpm range they are made for
They're pretty clear that it was intended to keep stock power levels at the lower and mid RPM range and provide gains in the mid to upper RPM range. By keeping the exhaust cam as stock but changing the duration on the intake cam (and the stock 11mm lift) it'll provide gains without losing midrange. Will the gains be as great as the Comp Stage 3's? No..but per Shaun these will be dramatically easier to tune.

By everything I've seen they're a great option for someone who wants to run a cam on a stock head that'll help with top end without hurting bottom-middle drivability by messing with the exhaust cam.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Here is the before and after.

GT350 IM/TB/CAI and stock exhaust 413whp

Then added full Kooks Exhaust and these Intake Cams = 448whp
AED Intake Cams.jpg

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
They're pretty clear that it was intended to keep stock power levels at the lower and mid RPM range and provide gains in the mid to upper RPM range. By keeping the exhaust cam as stock but changing the duration on the intake cam (and the stock 11mm lift) it'll provide gains without losing midrange. Will the gains be as great as the Comp Stage 3's? No..but per Shaun these will be dramatically easier to tune.

By everything I've seen they're a great option for someone who wants to run a cam on a stock head that'll help with top end without hurting bottom-middle drivability by messing with the exhaust cam.
at 1070 wheel on e85 and 1200 on ftw, i haven't seen any drivabilty / tuning issues with the car.

options are always nice, but we've seen 0 issues with the comps on our car or any customers cars

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
So Ive spoken with Shaun, these cams are already available thru L&M engines. Problem is there is no true before after. He did full exhaust along with the intake cams and car went from 412whp to 448whp. Before was Gt350IM/TB/CAI, after is those mods plus full exhaust and cams.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the before and after.

GT350 IM/TB/CAI and stock exhaust 413whp

Then added full Kooks Exhaust and these Intake Cams = 448whp
So Ive spoken with Shaun, these cams are already available thru L&M engines. Problem is there is no true before after. He did full exhaust along with the intake cams and car went from 412whp to 448whp. Before was Gt350IM/TB/CAI, after is those mods plus full exhaust and cams.
Ha... we are pinging the heck out of this guy and picking up on the same thing. I asked him the same question. It would make it hard to distinguish the gain from the cam and the gain from the LT.

He went Kook comp headers so is it safe to say that it was 15rwhp for the headers and 20rwhp from the cam?
Sponsored