N-Gauge Center vent mount

EVIL-PUNKIN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT Premium
Just like the title suggests, I just finished mounting my n-gauge in the center vent. I love the way that it looks not having a giant mount hanging off the windshield in front of my face with a ugly ass wire running down to the plug, but I'm finding some drawbacks fast to the vent mount. The not being easily removed part is no big deal as I just hook the laptop up to the port on the face of the gauge but my HUGE problem is that it is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to see when the sun is up, after the sun goes down you can see if perfect but due to the vent being flat and the view from the drivers seat being at a 45 degree angle to the gauge you can't see Jack-Schmidt during daylight. Just wondering if anyone knows of any solution to this, whether it be in the mounting of the gauge or any other way, so I can use the dang thing and actually see what I'm monitoring. I definately don't want to go back to the windshield mount and probably will just have to live with it but I thought I'd ask anyway....can't hurt anything!!!
Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
One thing that helps is to configure the coloring of your text to white. Just touch whatever you are monitoring then select "display". Then touch "normal color" and choose white.

I have mine mounted in the center too. Contemplated on moving over 1 spot toward the driver. This would help too but I'm too anal to do it. I was actually thinking about a "visor" of some sort. Next time the sun pokes out I'm gonna use an index card and get a basic shape and transfer it to something more rigid.

OP
OP
EVIL-PUNKIN

EVIL-PUNKIN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
You know I actually had the same thought about moving it over but just like you said I can't bring myself to do it either! Haha I just know as soon as I do it I'll regret it every time I look at it because it's not in the center and even. Oh well, let me know how the visor deal works out man, you may be on to something with that! My text is already set to white also. Thanks for the help though man, I appreciate it!

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
I adjusted the color as mentioned above and it was bright enough.

If I had to do over again, I'm not sure I would.
I had two clips pop off, and of course they dropped in the back. Had to buy a pack of 4 tiny plastic clips. 16 bucks from ford!! :eyebulge: No auto stores carried them.

Mine is in the closest to the driver vent (pp) and the gauge was put in flat and and appears to face the passenger side ever so slightly. Drives me nutz. I have to now take the panel off again tilt it to face the driver more like the other gauges.

I might still just get a vent or window clip and put the ac back

Screwdgie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT 6M
EVIL-PUNKIN, slightly off topic, but I have the same catback as you and am considering long tubes. Are yours catted? I havent found too many decent videos that show how this setup sounds. Do you have any videos of yours?

I also have an NGauge with suction cup mount on the way. I will hold off on doing a vent mount till someone comes up with a decent solution to the sun glare issue

Sponsored

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Someone smart needs to come up with a mounting kit that will install this at a slight angle/tilt to the driver to help avoid that issue.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
im not giving up a vent for that, the windshield mount is perfect and i hid the wire so you cant see it, not to mention no issue seeking it in the daylight

OP
OP
EVIL-PUNKIN

EVIL-PUNKIN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I agree SR56, if you could just tilt it a litttttle bit toward the drivers side it would be perfect, I may attemp to make something one of these days when I get some free time.

MEAN427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium, 67 Fastback 427
Autometer makes angled bezels for 3" an 2 1/8" gauges. I've used them on my 67 mustang to get gauges pointed where I wanted. I think the ngauge is a 3" so you may want to check these bezels out...

OP
OP
EVIL-PUNKIN

EVIL-PUNKIN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
That is true the angled deals may be able to work, I'll look into that too! If the tweeters weren't on the lower part of the a-pillar I'd try to mold up a pod to mount there, maybe somebody will come up with a mounting solution one of these days that looks better than a big tacky gps suction cup mount! Lol

Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Bumping this because I have the same dilemma. Going to try and change the font color to white tomorrow but when the sun is out, the gauge is literally impossible to read.

I wonder if there's a film or something you could apply to the screen to prevent some glare. Or a hood like you guys mentioned already.

OP
OP
EVIL-PUNKIN

EVIL-PUNKIN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I had actually thought about some film thing but never followed through in trying to find anything. You would think they make some type of glare shield type screen protector or something that would work!

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
Bumping this because I have the same dilemma. Going to try and change the font color to white tomorrow but when the sun is out, the gauge is literally impossible to read.

I wonder if there's a film or something you could apply to the screen to prevent some glare. Or a hood like you guys mentioned already.
I'm 90% sure its the color, I found out by accident playing with the display setting. White works perfectly
Sponsored