petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
Yeah, I know there are tons of these, but I'm mainly comparing it to my current car... The Focus ST.

Today I got to drive a EB PP. My phone died (after 39 hours... love my new Xperia Z3!) so no pictures, but I suck at taking pictures anyways and there's really nothing that hasn't been documented.

So, onto the review... this is partially amending my last non-driving review and driving impressions.

Exterior
One thing I didn't see before was how TINY the side mirrors are. They look cool but functionality seems to be pretty limited by their size. I'm not sure I could ever trust BLIS, either... i think that might be a deal-killer for the 201A package. I love my spotter mirrors and definitely prefer them to a little light in the mirror. Oh, and Competition Orange looks MUCH better in sunlight. They also had one in Guard and it was absolutely stunning... Definitely my color. The EB PP wheels are much shinier in person and after seeing them in person I'm not really a fan anymore.

Interior
Damn are those Premier seats attractive and super comfy... Got to use the cooled seats and I'm not sure they're for me... it was like sitting down in cold, wet swim trunks. I wish the center gauges were at an angle because they're out of my line of sight and not too visible.

Driving Impressions
Alright, here's the thing... The ST is more fun than the Mustang, but the Mustang is more capable. Having said that, getting the rear out after a hairpin turn was a ton of fun. The Mustang is much more neutral and I felt a lot more confident driving enthusiastically. Steering feel is also much better; there's a lot more coming through the wheel. On-center feel and effort, however, goes easily to the ST. Even in Sport+, the assist was too light for me. I think (hope) better tires will help.

It drove like a much more substantial car. Not heavier, but it just seemed much more solid driving over imperfections. It's a very comfortable car and I could tell it would be a much better DD than the ST. It's a real cruiser when driving normally.

The powertrain... welp, here's the disappointment for me. It felt not only slower than the ST, but it had nowhere near the low-end torque and 5th/6th gear passing was not an option. Turbo lag was much more pronounced as well. It was smoother, sure, but it just wasn't exciting. I'm confident COBB and others can work their magic on it, but I'm just not impressed with stock power. I'm not knocking the overall power, because the dealer admitted that they filled it with 87. Low octane doesn't affect turbo lag, though.

The shifter was notchy but very solid... never missed a shift and I was pretty confident downshifting. Throws were much shorter than the ST and I liked the clutch a lot more too. It required a lot less effort and was easier to modulate. I highly doubt I'd do any shifter mods because it's pretty much perfect IMO.

Conclusion

If I had to rate the Mustang on a scale from 1-10, I'd probably say it's an 8.5, but probably a 9-9.5 when you consider the aftermarket possibilities. The power is disappointing but not a deal-breaker. I could tell the car has a ton of potential and believe me I'll take full advantage of it. I'd say a Mustang EB is definitely in my future, however I'm not sure if I'd get the PP or not... Honestly I'd probably end up changing the majority of the parts in the package so I'm not sure it's worth it. Those gauges and that dash sure are cool, though.

Window Sticker: http://www.cotus.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker?vin=1FA6P8TH6F5305400
Sponsored

OHV_44

!5 = 44
Threads
Reaction score
good review, thanks. :thumbsup:

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
Good review...you'd like the cooled seats much more on a hot summer day, and they can always be turned down or off if too cold.

CisternaChyli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX
Great review :). I wanna drive an Ecoboost with the PP next. I didn't feel like sport and sport plus had any turbo lag though. Normal mode definitely did though. It's funny cause normal mode on the BMW 328i is actually so good that when I drive it (my dad has one), i just leave it in that. I was surprised as to how lame the normal mode was on the Mustang..

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Great review :). I wanna drive an Ecoboost with the PP next. I didn't feel like sport and sport plus had any turbo lag though. Normal mode definitely did though. It's funny cause normal mode on the BMW 328i is actually so good that when I drive it (my dad has one), i just leave it in that. I was surprised as to how lame the normal mode was on the Mustang..
I am surprised there is not an "Eco" mode on the EcoBoost, something geared towards fuel economy. Maybe that's just what "Normal" mode is for? They need a green "Eco" button and a red "Boost" button, Jeckyl and Hyde Mustang, lol. I would be interested to see MPG comparisons between Normal and Sport+ under similar driving conditions, because everything I've read says that Sport+ mode is substantially more power than Normal.

Question to OP - Did you have it in Sport mode or Normal?

Sponsored

CisternaChyli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX
I am surprised there is not an "Eco" mode on the EcoBoost, something geared towards fuel economy. Maybe that's just what "Normal" mode is for? They need a green "Eco" button and a red "Boost" button, Jeckyl and Hyde Mustang, lol. I would be interested to see MPG comparisons between Normal and Sport+ under similar driving conditions, because everything I've read says that Sport+ mode is substantially more power than Normal.

I think normal is supposed to be the eco mode.. Because it was slow :(. Sport mode for the street and daily use is the way to go. Sport plus is too aggressive for normal driving. I'd start with Sport plus on the track cause I'm a novice.

OP
OP

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf

I put it in Sport+ but I didn't touch the steering settings (it automatically adjusts it with the different drive modes, right?). It had the S+ logo in the dash display so I know it was activated properly.

OP
OP

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
Should have mentioned... big thanks to Dan Reese at Donley Ford in Shelby (heh), OH!

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
I traded in my Focus ST for my Eco, and I agree with most of your review. A first as I underwhelmed about the power delivery, but after driving it a while, I can tell it's faster -- it just doesn't seem like it. There's no torque sensation fighting with the front wheels which to me made it seem slower. My last two DD's were FWD, and going back to RWD may have clouded my expectations.

I had the Eco in "Track" mode and hit a few corners, and the rear-end coming out really surprised me! I felt more confident in the ST's handling ability -- the car had excellently controllable lift-throttle oversteer and was very predictable. My "race" car ( Ford Probe -- 24 Hours of LeMons ) is FWD too, and also very predictable. The Eco just may take some getting used too...

Overall, I like the Mustang MUCH more.

OP
OP

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
A first as I underwhelmed about the power delivery, but after driving it a while, I can tell it's faster -- it just doesn't seem like it. There's no torque sensation fighting with the front wheels which to me made it seem slower.
Yeah, that could be part of it, but I think the turbo lag was a big part of it too. However, I also think there were too many variables against its favor... 87 in the tank, an engine that hasn't broken in yet and maybe I should have played around with the drive modes more... I'm not sure.

Judging solely by how it drives, I wouldn't say that I like the Mustang more. I wouldn't say that I like the ST more, either... I guess I'm still undecided. I do know, however, that I like the whole package more. I just think it's a much higher quality car, with lots of room for upgrades.

Sponsored

pepperglenn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I couldn't agree more.... I live in Texas so cooled seats, while not a requirement, are really nice on a 105 degree day. And I got an all black car too... Even nicer!

Good review too! Thanks for posting

Good review...you'd like the cooled seats much more on a hot summer day, and they can always be turned down or off if too cold.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The powertrain... welp, here's the disappointment for me. It felt not only slower than the ST, but it had nowhere near the low-end torque and 5th/6th gear passing was not an option. Turbo lag was much more pronounced as well. It was smoother, sure, but it just wasn't exciting. I'm confident COBB and others can work their magic on it, but I'm just not impressed with stock power. I'm not knocking the overall power, because the dealer admitted that they filled it with 87. Low octane doesn't affect turbo lag, though.

Window Sticker: http://www.cotus.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker?vin=1FA6P8TH6F5305400
It does affect HP/Torque...the Ford EB Mustang part of the website has a big asterick next to the hp/torque saying it requires 93 octane to get those #s, otherwise the HP/Torque suffer.

OP
OP

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
I wasn't talking about HP, I was talking about turbo lag... which octane might affect, depending on how the ECM handles it, but it seemed pretty substantial at low RPM. Not an issue when you're launching, but I'm going to miss doing 6th-gear overtakes on the highway.
Sponsored