Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Chevy SS (not camaro)

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
Good cars

The guys who buy them are people who need a 4 door car but cannot afford more than one car.

It is slower than a 6.4L Charger in a 1/4 mile, but it handles better on the curves.
Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
The guys who buy them are people who need a 4 door car but cannot afford more than one car.

It is slower than a 6.4L Charger in a 1/4 mile, but it handles better on the curves.
True and I love Mopar, but one thing about the LSx motors is the mods are endless and parts so interchangeable.

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
True and I love Mopar, but one thing about the LSx motors is the mods are endless and parts so interchangeable.
I finally drove a 5th Gen SS a few weeks ago.. I made a thread on the VS section here.

It def. felt heavy (3900 lb car) with some descent torque. I believe even the lighter 5th Gen 1LE ran a 12.9 so it def. has descent power.

I'll imagine the SS to be a tad bit slower than the 5th Gen SS.. Not a big fan of the body though.. Then again, I don't really like sedans as much as coupes.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
That was me exactly until the almost $400 in gas every month made me sell it for a Volt ... the Mustang is the occasional toy now.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
That was me exactly until the almost $400 in gas every month made me sell ...
Chevy SS = $1300 Gas Guzzler Tax

By comparison, as of now I'm averaging 21 mpg in my GT.

Driving ~1,000 miles/month = 48 gallons. On Reg gas @2.12/gallon, my monthly fuel cost is $102. :)

Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
So a buddy of mine just bought a chevy SS. Its a 4dr sedan with the LS3 engine in it. I think its like 413HP which you wouldnt expect from a first glance at it. Anyone have any match ups or experience with these. I didnt know a lot about them until he bought it.
I ran up against one. He was all amped up to race a mustang. Went from second to top of 3rd (in Mexico of course). I had 2 or so cars on him by the end. Would have had more but wheel spin in 2nd owned me. At that time I had headers, tune, intake and exhaust. I was pretty surprised for a minute but even stock I would have still pulled away in 3rd.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
My good friend ordered one with a 6-speed manual. He added the Holden bits to it. It gets a lot of "what is it" questions all the time.
Gotta say this is a prime example of how much a badge makes a difference. I've always found the Chevy badge to be rediculously ugly! looks much, much nicer with the Holden badge, even if it is a lil over the top.

Chevy's current badge just makes everything look cheaper. At least stop making it in gold. Seriously, a piece of gold up front in everyone's grille? :doh:

OP
OP
5starr0

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Haha that's awesome. My friend just blacked his out.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Gotta say this is a prime example of how much a badge makes a difference. I've always found the Chevy badge to be rediculously ugly! looks much, much nicer with the Holden badge, even if it is a lil over the top.

Chevy's current badge just makes everything look cheaper. At least stop making it in gold. Seriously, a piece of gold up front in everyone's grille? :doh:
Agreed. Blacking out the badges on my Camaro was step 1 in aesthetic mods. The gold looks awful on every color.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Its like a 5th gen camaro with an LS3 rather than the L99 crap that came with the auto Camaro SS.

The one I drove had decent low/mid torque and all come fully loaded with all the "bells and whistles". It felt a lot quicker/stronger than the 5th gen auto L99 camaro as does the 5.0. I thought it sounded a little better than the stang.
Crazy discounts out there going on right now. The dealer practically begged me to buy it. The dealer even lied and said it came with the new Camaro SS motor...
It was still out of my price range approaching 16' Camaro SS and Scatpack pricing (which I'd rather have either of); also boring looking imo.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I just removed the boe-tie completely on my old SS. The delete kit was sharp looking.
IMG_2399 (2).jpg

Last edited:

fdl2phx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Mustang Bullitt
Its like a 5th gen camaro with an LS3 rather than the L99 crap that came with the auto Camaro SS.

The one I drove had decent low/mid torque and all come fully loaded with all the "bells and whistles". It felt a lot quicker/stronger than the 5th gen auto L99 camaro as does the 5.0. I thought it sounded a little better than the stang.
Crazy discounts out there going on right now. The dealer practically begged me to buy it. The dealer even lied and said it came with the new Camaro SS motor...
It was still out of my price range approaching 16' Camaro SS and Scatpack pricing (which I'd rather have either of); also boring looking imo.
They can't sell them right now. All SS's are under a Stop Sell due to a seatbelt tensioner recall. I know this, because I was all set to trade in my GT for a 16 SS here in AZ while they are running the 20% off MSRP sale ($40k for a fully loaded and optioned SS = No brainer. Plus I need the 4 doors)

However, due to the Stop Sell, you can't actually take it off the lot. ETA on a fix is Sept/Oct, since GM had to design and manufacture a part. So you either pay now and leave it sit at dealer for 60 to 90 days and get your 20% off, or wait and buy it once the Stop Sell is off, at which point GM has already told dealers it will not honor the 20% off MSRP (which ended 8/1) and if the dealer chooses to honor it they basically eat the $11k.

Crazy situation, but I guess the stars aligned to keep me in my Stang. Which dollars to donuts is what I'd prefer, but suddenly having to be primary transportation daily for my 2 young sons is chafing a little w/ the 2 doors and baby/child seats.

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I just sold my 2014 Chevy SS, full bolts ons and tune (12.08@114) with street tires. I gained 80rwhp from just letting the motor breathe and tuning it. The LS3 is detuned significantly from the factory with a horrible transmission tune. Ford did a much better job on their tuning for the Auto than GM. They have way too much Torque management.

It was a great car and handled much smaller than it looks. Mine weighed in at 3860 with 1/3 tank of fuel last time i was at the track. No sunroof or spare.

I had a previous G8 GT, sold for a 2014 track pack which was sold for the Chevy SS...which was sold for the 16 GT. lol

Around we go.

Attached are some photos and a video. (not my best run but from the same night) MPSS tires.
Chevy SS Dyno Pat G.jpg
Race weight 2.jpg
Race weight 1.jpg
chevy ss RPR.jpg
RPR 04 Dec 1st run - Copy.jpg

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I just sold my 2014 Chevy SS, full bolts ons and tune (12.08@114) with street tires. I gained 80rwhp from just letting the motor breathe and tuning it. The LS3 is detuned significantly from the factory with a horrible transmission tune. Ford did a much better job on their tuning for the Auto than GM. They have way too much Torque management.

It was a great car and handled much smaller than it looks. Mine weighed in at 3860 with 1/3 tank of fuel last time i was at the track. No sunroof or spare.

I had a previous G8 GT, sold for a 2014 track pack which was sold for the Chevy SS...which was sold for the 16 GT. lol

Around we go.

Attached are some photos and a video. (not my best run but from the same night) MPSS tires.
Nobody cuts a 1.61 sixty foot on street tires. So I assume that drag radials were used in the video! Nice run none the less. Does full bolt-ons include a stall? 80 wheel horse power from a tune and intake????? Really??

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
Looking at the comments on the youtube channel, he has:

"Rotofab, LS7 MAF, Rick Crawford IM and TB, Stainless Work LT with 3" cats, Corsa exhaust and Pat G (Patrick Guerra) Tune."

So cold air intake, intake manifold, throttle body, headers, and full exhaust.

I was considering an SS before buying my car. i decided on the GT, first because I wanted a manual, and manual SSs are almost impossible to find. Additionally I figured I would pay close to MSRP if I did find a manual SS. Paying a bit over $30K for the mustang was preferable to paying close to $50k for the SS.
Sponsored