Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
SVO = Special Vehicle Operations

SVT = Special Vehicle Team

AVO = Advanced Vehicle Operations

Team RS = Team Rallye Sport

Ford have had a history of creating small "skunkworks" teams to produce sporting cars.

I guess, in terms of Mustang, Shelby was the first, albeit an external company. But their remit was the same.

Whilst it doesn't "make sense" for a Ford SVT product to be sold as a Shelby (it's SVT, after all, that do the development) marketing sells and the Shelby badge is known around the world, much more so than SVT.
Shelby is part of the heritage, an important one. Cobra, Daytona, gt40, gt350, gt500 - very significant race wins all in road courses. So I am happy to have the badge even if it just a badge, it is a tie to the history and heritage.
Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
I thought SVT was the same unit historically as SVO and was simply renamed sometime around the early 90s?

Personally I'm tiring of the Shelby named attached to car, especially since some bozos don't realize that the current version of the car is entirely Ford designed and built (SVT) and that they are just licensing the use of the Shelby name for historical purposes and to get a premium. I still see some ignorant morons posting on the comments that the GT500 isn't a Ford car but a tuner car from the aftermarket (like Saleen is or the 2011 GT350 was or the GT500 Shelby Supersnake is).

I'd like to go back to the regular SVT Cobra nameplate, but I think Ford will keep milking the Shelby name as long as they can.

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Shelby is part of the heritage, an important one. Cobra, Daytona, gt40, gt350, gt500 - very significant race wins all in road courses. So I am happy to have the badge even if it just a badge, it is a tie to the history and heritage.
1x10(10) sorry no subscript available. I like the Shelby badging on my SVT.

RWStang04-14

Always Believe n YOURSELF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reggie
Vehicle(s)
15 Oxford White/PP/Saddle Int/Nav
Not my cup of tea. The fog lights look funny

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' fusion 14 explorer sport
SVO = Special Vehicle Operations

SVT = Special Vehicle Team

AVO = Advanced Vehicle Operations

Team RS = Team Rallye Sport

Ford have had a history of creating small "skunkworks" teams to produce sporting cars.

I guess, in terms of Mustang, Shelby was the first, albeit an external company. But their remit was the same.

Whilst it doesn't "make sense" for a Ford SVT product to be sold as a Shelby (it's SVT, after all, that do the development) marketing sells and the Shelby badge is known around the world, much more so than SVT.
Most people I see, even at Mustang events, call the GT500 a cobra. We are talking probably a 1000 mile circle, and every one calls it a cobra. I think the GT500 fit well with the throwback Mustang, but the new one looks a lot more like the New Edge (99-04) and I think it would be fitting to bring the cobra back for this generation. Just MHO.

Oh and SVT is thrown around in this area almost as much as the name Mustang. Especially considering people call the Raptor a "SVT Raptor."

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
I hope the GT350 doesnt come with a massive diffuser. It may have limited functionality but it looks like its straight out of NASCAR.
Sponsored