Sponsored

MT '19 Car of the Year Nomination

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If they don’t get advertising then they don’t survive. If they don’t survive then you just get Billy Bob’s picks for car of the year. Unfortunately Billy Bob doesn’t have the cash or notoriety to travel the world testing cars. The current crop of car mags is as close to impartial as you will get. They have decades of reputation at stake and won’t sell that out. If the current Mustang does not make it this year it doesn’t mean the fix was in. But saying this on a Mustang fan website is not popular, but it is true.

Full disclosure, as I am also a journalist but that should not change the narrative of the argument one way or another.
If the Mustang isn't considered the car of the year that ain't no biggie but to say car magazines are fair and impartial is a big Fing lie or you have your head in the sand
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If the Mustang isn't considered the car of the year that ain't no biggie but to say car magazines are fair and impartial is a big Fing lie or you have your head in the sand

Sort of but not exactly...

When I was editor of my first small newspaper I had no advertising at all as I wanted to keep things influence free. Of course then you end up footing the entire bill yourself which at the time was an 11X17 offset print paper we collated by hand. That kind of operation eventually wears you out financially so we moved to a magazine format which is tolerable and still runs. That rag has been run by women editors after the first two years I believe (now 15 years old), just in case anyone was wondering.

Now as soon as you allow advertising they are going to influence content but not how you think. Ideally you want a mix of advertising so you don’t have one advertising company or brand that can shut you down. Could they buy car of the year? I would say no. Would you green light investigative journalism targeting corruption at your biggest advertising company and clients - probably not. You might give more coverage to companies that advertise in your publication but usually there is an intermediary and not let’s say the actual car company. So XYZ advertising buy tons of space in your magazine but does that point at one of their clients having direct influence? I’d say no.

Expect lots of advertising if you give one car the award and they will point to your magazine as they brag about the award so the bigger car companies may have a subtle advantage all things considered. So there is some influence but not some guy showing up at a publication with a briefcase full of cash.

Also - Journalists police themselves and sometimes too much. When I started out I was called a hack (true) and possible security threat (false) the RCMP should investigate by an award winning journalist in Australia. He has since recanted but I can’t see a fairer system than you have now. Perfect - no, but far from corrupt...

Last edited:

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
Sort of but not exactly...

When I was editor of my first small newspaper I had no advertising at all as I wanted to keep things influence free. Of course then you end up footing the entire bill yourself which at the time was an 11X17 offset print paper we collated by hand. That kind of operation eventually wears you out financially so we moved to a magazine format which is tolerable and still runs. That rag has been run by women editors after the first two years I believe (now 15 years old), just in case anyone was wondering.

Now as soon as you allow advertising they are going to influence content but not how you think. Ideally you want a mix of advertising so you don’t have one advertising company or brand that can shut you down. Could they buy car of the year? I would say no. Would you green light investigative journalism targeting corruption at your biggest advertising company and clients - probably not. You might give more coverage to companies that advertise in your publication but usually there is an intermediary and not let’s say the actual car company. So XYZ advertising buy tons of space in your magazine but does that point at one of their clients having direct influence? I’d say no.

Expect lots of advertising if you give one car the award and they will point to your magazine as they brag about the award so the bigger car companies may have a subtle advantage all things considered. So there is some influence but not some guy showing up at a publication with a briefcase full of cash.

Also - Journalists police themselves and sometimes too much. When I started out I was called a hack (true) and possible security threat (false) the RCMP should investigate by an award winning journalist in Australia. He has since recanted but I can’t see a fairer system than you have now. Perfect - no, but far from corrupt...
I don't trust MT bias towards the big spenders. With all the fake news flying around it is hard for me to swallow the "journalists police themselves argument.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't trust MT bias towards the big spenders. With all the fake news flying around it is hard for me to swallow the "journalists police themselves argument.
I'm not saying all but most will write what ever those who are paying them want them to write. Nothing like a paycheck for a incentive.

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

Trust me, if any journalist found out and could prove a big name publication could be bribed for the car of the year award he would make it as a recognized journalist. Why would any journalist sit around with that knowledge and not use it? Today especially, anyone can blow the whistle and you don’t need to be employed by some big news organization to do it.

Far more prevalent are small time journalists who have literally become shills for one car maker. So much so they seem to suspend belief in objectivity in the prattle that is lock and step with their preferred automaker. That is more prevalent today than big name publications going crooked.

They have something to lose (the big names) while the small timers don’t...

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Transformer.jpg

MT may like camaro but even the Transformers think there wrong. Must sting getting replaced by a old Volks Wagon Beetle.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
IMO Bolt doesn't "stand out the most". It's just another econo-box looking vehicle. But I understand what you are saying - General Motors Trend certainly wasn't using a criteria like most fun for the money, good interior, great styling, awesome performance etc. when they chose the Bolt. They were using some other oddball nonsensical criteria.
I haven't driven a Bolt yet, but having 200+ miles on an electric car for unter $40k seems like a great deal compared to other electric cars. The e-golf gives you about half the milage for the same price.

Actually just looking at the last few pages of the 2018 Mustang hate thread on C6G is all there is to see. You will just pretend is doesn’t exist. Looks really bad on your end.
So you get triggered by posts in another forum so you feel the need to bash to just be on M6G to bash other cars too? Both forums have trolls that are acting like they come right out of Kindergarten. "Oh on the other side some random guy posted something mean about my car, now I can to write in my forum how shitty their car is too"...
Just imagine that some people like more than just the one car they are driving :like:

MT may like camaro but even the Transformers think there wrong. Must sting getting replaced by a old Volks Wagon Beetle.
Do your research, Bumblee was orginally always a VW Beetle... :facepalm:

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I haven't driven a Bolt yet, but having 200+ miles on an electric car for unter $40k seems like a great deal compared to other electric cars. The e-golf gives you about half the milage for the same price.

So you get triggered by posts in another forum so you feel the need to bash to just be on M6G to bash other cars too? Both forums have trolls that are acting like they come right out of Kindergarten. "Oh on the other side some random guy posted something mean about my car, now I can to write in my forum how shitty their car is too"...
Just imagine that some people like more than just the one car they are driving :like:

What? You do realize that you are complaining about what ecovert said on here right? I bring up that forum because people like you pretend those posts don't exist and wonder why we don't like certain aspects of the Camaro community. The whole "both sides has bad apples" is the typical BS excuse I don't see you are Martin or anyone else calling out blaq for saying much worse on a daily basis.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a camaro fan boi I don't watch the new Transformers movie to see what the next camaro will look like. I have seen tv commercials for the new Transformer movie must have really shocked c6g. Transformer movies and camaro have something in common they both are about to be discontinued. :turkey:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I'm not a camaro fan boi I don't watch the new Transformers movie to see what the next camaro will look like. I have seen tv commercials for the new Transformer movie must have really shocked c6g. Transformer movies and camaro have something in common they both are about to be discontinued. :turkey:
As I said, get your facts straight. In the Transformers franchise Bumblebee was always a VW Beetle before Michael Bay movies - The franchise goes back to 1984. So if they make a movie about the origin of the characters it's awesome that they go for the original looks of every character. :like:
But the jokes on you, even on c6 people love the throwback to actual Transformers design and not the Micheal Bay bs - Most people even want GM to get off the TF franchise :clap:

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As I said, get your facts straight. In the Transformers franchise Bumblebee was always a VW Beetle before Michael Bay movies - The franchise goes back to 1984. So if they make a movie about the origin of the characters it's awesome that they go for the original looks of every character. :like:
But the jokes on you, even on c6 people love the throwback to actual Transformers design and not the Micheal Bay bs - Most people even want GM to get off the TF franchise :clap:
Man you really get tore up over stupid sh!t. It really brings out the c6g fan boi in you. :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/

Some kind words to be sure. Otherwise the article offers some fairly harsh commentary. Looks like they tested a convertable 5.0 and a Bullitt.

Some notable MT criticism:

"WE DON'T LIKE How it handles, price-value equation"

"On the winding track, the Mustangs fell apart with poor body control and a rear end that has a mind of its own."

Concerning the Bullitt:

"the ride on this car is just so awful," Christian Seabaugh said. "It's choppy and rough, even on perfectly smooth pavement."

What are your thoughts on some of their criticism?

I've heard elsewhere that magneride can make for a pretty smooth ride so I'm a bit surprised by the last comment. Of course I'm assuming they tested the Bullitt with that. I don't know for certain that this was the case.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/
What do they mean. “Collapsed into limp-home mode”. ? Not really enough info in the MT article to really understand what happened. Anyone have more info? I have read reports of the differential over heating on the track. Is this what they are talking about?

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
What do they mean. “Collapsed into limp-home mode”. ? Not really enough info in the MT article to really understand what happened. Anyone have more info? I have read reports of the differential over heating on the track. Is this what they are talking about?
As far as I understand it their car overheated in the second hot lap in a row and went into limp mode because of that

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Some kind words to be sure. Otherwise the article offers some fairly harsh commentary. Looks like they tested a convertable 5.0 and a Bullitt.

Some notable MT criticism:

"WE DON'T LIKE How it handles, price-value equation"

"On the winding track, the Mustangs fell apart with poor body control and a rear end that has a mind of its own."

Concerning the Bullitt:

"the ride on this car is just so awful," Christian Seabaugh said. "It's choppy and rough, even on perfectly smooth pavement."

What are your thoughts on some of their criticism?

I've heard elsewhere that magneride can make for a pretty smooth ride so I'm a bit surprised by the last comment. Of course I'm assuming they tested the Bullitt with that. I don't know for certain that this was the case.

Here’s my opinion: picking a single car for car-of-the-year is like picking a single knife for knife-of-the-year. Probably will end-up being a Swiss Army knife of some kind or another. However, a Swiss Army knife would not be my choice for job specific tasks. Cutting a hole in dry wall=key hole saw, cooking dinner = 8” chef knife, trekking thru the jungle = machete. The Mustang GT or Bullitt is an awesome car for most American roads, especially in dry conditions. For a sporty car that sounds great, fun to drive, puts a smile on your face, don’t have to be a 1%er to own one, hard to beat. Would it be my first choice for mountain roads in the rain, No. Taking my wife out for a evening of fine dinner and dancing, No. Going down-town to a construction site for a job inspection, No. For fun on the weekends and on the track, Yes. To set the club track record (road race), No. I’m lucky enough to have several vehicles for specific tasks. If I only could pick one, probably would have to sacrifice something or go with the Swiss Army knife. Now disclosure for all the Haters: The above post is my personal opinion “IMO” and was not posted to get anyone bent-out-of-shape.

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I understand it their car overheated in the second hot lap in a row and went into limp mode because of that
What over heated? Certainly not the engine....
Sponsored