Sponsored

MRT Hood Struts

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Wish I could see a video install like CJ Pony Parts did for the Redline struts. Curious where they mount without drilling into the battery cover.

These say no-drill and MRT has been around a long time it seems with these struts. I dont like the idea of punching a hole in my battery cover (water, dirt, etc) and well as seems awkward if you need to access the battery for say a jump and the cover is hanging by the strut

http://www.hypermotive.com/mrt-direct-no-drill-hood-struts-15-mustang/

This is the best image I could find on MRT's site, but it does look like no drilling into the battery cover. It also looks like it slants back with the hood vs forward toward the front of the battery cover like the Redline.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I'll second your request for better pictures.

Makes you think they are trying to hide something. More than likely the big bracket that attaches to the hood. If I do hood struts I like no drilling and this setup which should give far less hood flex than the Redline struts which some owners report.

More pics needed. :)

OP
OP

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'll second your request for better pictures.

Makes you think they are trying to hide something. More than likely the big bracket that attaches to the hood. If I do hood struts I like no drilling and this setup which should give far less hood flex than the Redline struts which some owners report.

More pics needed. :)
Check the link in the first post, there are definitely brackets on the hood. Always has been on MRT struts.

But I actually like the idea of 2 bolts securing it vs 1 on the redline. Maybe that is what reduces, or helps reduce, the hood flex.

I'm more intrigued by the no-drill than the brackets on the hood side which aren't in the way.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Check the link in the first post, there are definitely brackets on the hood. Always has been on MRT struts.

But I actually like the idea of 2 bolts securing it vs 1 on the redline. Maybe that is what reduces, or helps reduce, the hood flex.

I'm more intrigued by the no-drill than the brackets on the hood side which aren't in the way.
I'm sure it does. The bracket seems to be farther forward and distributes the forces better. Still like to see some more pictures. :)

OP
OP

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Same here.

I semi-refuse to drill into my battery cover (unless I'm missing something about the MRT that makes them not viable) as water/dust could get in. And more so it would be very awkward to access the battery for a jump etc as the plastic would be hanging by the strut instead of the cover coming off.

Sponsored

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
Mrt is a ex ford engineer

Redline is a current ford engineer.

Little behind the scene info for those that don't know. You'd think a current engineer had better access to the car a year ago.

Either work.

And there is literally ZERO chance of dirt or water getting to your battery where the hole is for the redline strut. It's a fender bolt your drilling over.

Fender bolt

Along the fender

Below the top of the battery

Fender bolt.

Redline Tuning

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redlinetuning.com
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
As there will always be other options other than our Hood QuickLIFT system, we want consumers to be informed before making a decision purchase. For such a simple product, we spent over a year with this design... final function (lifting and closing along with full-open force) are the keys to this system. For this particular system, mounting locations for a bolt-in system are extremely limited, thus the need for us to patent our design.

What you will see when our competition release their systems is that they will all rely on a lower pivot point that is much closer to the hood's hinge along with their extending bracket that runs up the hood from the hinge to a floating attachment. This method works well for packaging, but not for function. The gas springs have no leverage to lift and hold open the hood, so the force needs to rise high and the bad side effect being that the hood has no stay-open-force. It will fall with the lowest pull-down force. All of our competitors will rely on a lower lifting point that starts inches from the hood pivot location, resulting in nearly zero lifting force and major problem when full open, the slightest breeze will drop the hood. So, all of the being said, we looked long and hard at developing this system always with 'function' first and foremost - if they do not work, why put them on?

Customers will always have choices and an informed customer will make the best choice. We have been designing hood lift systems for over 13 years and stand behind our design and our products.

Last edited:

4cars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Thanks Redline, but could you post a close up picture of how the passenger side strut mounts near the battery cover .

Redline Tuning

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redlinetuning.com
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thanks Redline, but could you post a close up picture of how the passenger side strut mounts near the battery cover .
Here is the best picture I could find.

Last edited:

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Thanks for the comparison Redline. If you would have the elongated bracket that would help distribute the force on the hood upon closing I'd be sold. I am very concerned about the stress on the aluminum hood over time with the deflection/bending that has been reported by some owners. I wouldn't mind replacing a 100 strut kit but I'm hesitant at taking a risk to replaced a $1000 plus painted hood. Would be cool to see you have a kit in the future with a bracket similar to MRT. :)

Sponsored

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Did you guys edit this post to remove the diagram showing how the Redline set up compares to the competition regarding lift force? :shrug:

As there will always be other options other than our Hood QuickLIFT system, we want consumers to be informed before making a decision purchase. For such a simple product, we spent over a year with this design... final function (lifting and closing along with full-open force) are the keys to this system. For this particular system, mounting locations for a bolt-in system are extremely limited, thus the need for us to patent our design.

What you will see when our competition release their systems is that they will all rely on a lower pivot point that is much closer to the hood's hinge along with their extending bracket that runs up the hood from the hinge to a floating attachment. This method works well for packaging, but not for function. The gas springs have no leverage to lift and hold open the hood, so the force needs to rise high and the bad side effect being that the hood has no stay-open-force. It will fall with the lowest pull-down force. All of our competitors will rely on a lower lifting point that starts inches from the hood pivot location, resulting in nearly zero lifting force and major problem when full open, the slightest breeze will drop the hood. So, all of the being said, we looked long and hard at developing this system always with 'function' first and foremost - if they do not work, why put them on?

Customers will always have choices and an informed customer will make the best choice. We have been designing hood lift systems for over 13 years and stand behind our design and our products.

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
One thing I like about MRT's kit is that they offer the option of color matched mounting hardware. That makes it look more OEM. Andreas, to you or one of your third-party vendors offer a Redline kit with color matched mounting hardware but unpainted strut tubes?

Redline Tuning

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redlinetuning.com
First Name
Andreas
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Those look great.. wishing I had known I could get them painted. Might have to paint mine DIB before they go on the car (which is on order).
Sponsored