MotorWeek: Throwback Thursday | '84 Ford Mustang SVO

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
So cool. I remember seeing this model when it first came out. That's when Ford started to identify the various dipsticks and other lids yellow in color and that was a big deal. Thanks for the video!

volsfan0911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
:lol: that was awesome. I'd forgotten about the blow up hand pump. Sex doll not included :p And what's with the 55-0 braking test? LMAO, it wouldn't go any faster?

Diggitydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GHIG GT Vert
That is a sweet video! I love the cheezy pun's like gray mare and how the narrator shortened the name to "tang" like the kids drink. Also, Wow, vehicles have come so far in 30 years. Just wow.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I had an 85.5 SVO and it was a sweet car! Won many races on the street and when I ran some mountains in TN, it was C U LATER! The suspension on this car was amazing with the adjustable Koni's, etc.

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
I went to buy a new 85 GT but when I got to the dealer, they were out. The salesman wanted me to try out the SVO they had on the lot so I said why not. I was a young kid at the time. I drove out to the street, turned right and floored it in front of the ford dealership. It completely took me by surprise as it set me back in the seat. I was so surprised, it took a while for me to let off and get it out of first gear. I don't know how long it was at redline.
I went back to the dealership and ordered a GT. When I went back a week later to get the GT, the SVO was in the back torn apart. I asked the mechanic what was wrong and he said some kid came by for a joy ride and tore up the turbo. He said you have to let the turbo "warm up" and get oil to it before you stomp it.
It was a heck of a car, pretty much the same horsepower as a GT or Corvette of the day.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Great video and some hilarity in there as well.

1. The brake dive on that 55 - 0 test was EPIC!
2. WTF is with all the rust on the undercarriage in a new test car?!
3. Look how far we've come in 30 years. The same motor (updated), is now giving roughly the same MPG, but with far better performance. 0 - 60 was 7.9 then, now low 5's.

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
love how 0-60 of 7.9s is "more car than many people are drivers!"

Also, $16,000 in 1985 = $35,000 in today's dollars. Amazing how cars have become so much cheaper today!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The 85.5 (this was the fastest year of the SVO) that I had was 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and quarter mile in 15.1 seconds. Top speed of 140 and weighed 2992lbs :D.
Sponsored