Monkey motion steering...

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Monkey motion steering...I am not being critical here. I was looking at the still picture and realized that something had to move to make that work. I found this picture of the BMW which has the same geometry as the new Mustang the double lower ball joint. I read that because of this system there is some loss in self centering feel. I can also see where any mushiness in the rubber bushings would surely be noticeable. I have to wonder if these bushings are different on different cars the base car compared to the PP cars and the gt350?

Sponsored

SloS14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Coming from an FR-S, I noticed a huge lack of self-centering in the Mustang.

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Coming from an FR-S, I noticed a huge lack of self-centering in the Mustang.

Wider tires also tend to have less self centering force. On my 2010 I added stiffer bushings and more caster it had significantly more self centering. Not sure if that will work here. I don't see any adjustment for caster at the bottom where I adjusted it on my old car so it would have to be adjusted at the top at the strut mount. Actually after looking at the gif again the caster is changing as the tire moves that could be part of the problem.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The scrub radius changing could be another factor, might take some of the sharpness out of the steering feel.

Norm