Sponsored

Modifying your Mustang - Is it a "waste of money?"

6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Is it a waste of money for people who can't even tell the difference between a v6 & a v8?
yup.

Is modding a waste of money for me?
Hell no.

Did I know that I will not get a return on my investment?
Financially, I knew I would lose money on any (non collectible) car related investment. Emotionally, it's one of the best investments I've made. More "smiles per gallon."

Will I keep modding? Damn right I will.

:cheers:
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
To the true enthusiast it's not a waste of $.

I don't golf but have plenty of buddies that do as much as they can. To me that's a waste of $ but to them it's $ well spent. They admire the things I've done to my car, but I'm sure some feel as though it's a waste of $...got buddies that like fine brown liquor and expensive Cee-gars - waste of $ to me as you are literally pissing it away or smoking it away.

At the end of the day who gives a rat's ass??? Do what makes you happy, i.e. mod the stang as much as your disposable income will allow. :cheers:

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I am retired , all my life when I was working I made sure my kids and wife had what they wanted and needed, now that its just me and my wife I finally got to spend a little on me. I had the V6 Honda accord apart from the gas mileage it got I hated that car I heard more road noise in it than I do in my jeep wrangler. I got a V6 mustang convertible because that is what my wife wanted and I want to drive something that not everyone has so modding is the way to make this happen

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Sure, it's a classic "waste of money" by definition. Buying unessential items nearly always is, and it was a "waste of money" to get a Muatang GT when a Civic would technically perform the same tasks.

But it's also my money and I'll "waste" it all I'd like.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
People on the forums/youtube comments tell me all the time that I wasted my money on a V6....so I guess I wasted money on my V6.

Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All,

I would like your thoughts on this subject. I know a lot of people who aren't interested in the car modding world that say modding your car is a waste of money. They always say, "You'll never get that money back" or "Spend that money on a vacation instead" etc. I'm positive you all have heard those naysayers comments at least once.

What are your thoughts on modding your Mustang, or any other car for that matter? How do you justify your purchases on your car?
It really depends on what modifications you are doing. Some may add value to the car like leather upholstery. Some tasteless ricer style mods like super wide nail on body kits, will probably have the opposite effect..

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
It's all relative. Anything other than basic necessities can be considered a waste of money. I don't think it's a waste, it might not be the best monetary investment but that's only if you're looking at it from a financial standpoint. To me the fun of modding is the payoff, so it's a good investment in my opinion.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
i never spent anything on my cars..just servicing..total waste of money..
I suppose from the perspective of not ever wanting to spend anything extra on your cars, mods in general would be a waste of money.

But there's a flip side - having to suck it up and drive something that's anywhere from downright boring to less than what it could have been is a waste of your driving time. Works on either on an enjoyment level directly or at your hourly rate for what you could be doing and getting paid for instead, if you simply can't get away from the money side of car ownership.

Money can usually be replenished at least in part. I don't know of anybody who's been able to do that with time.

Norm

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I lolz at all the kids worried about the value of their very depreciatable asset, the Mustang. Cars are not an investment. A means of travel, yes. A hobby that can bring one great job, yes. I way to avoid your wife for weeks at a time cause you're "modding" in the garage, yes. An investment or waist of time, hell no. Enjoy. Later.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
This just in, these cars dont appreciate in value, so even if you dont mod you never get your money back. These Cars are a lose-lose situation where money is concerned. this is one of the reasons i do mod. Ive modded 4 mustangs and i couldnt tell you how much i spent over the years, but this is what i do. What price can you put on doing what you love. Its not about the money its about the experiences. And they are priceless! So long as i have the ability to do this i will, and i will be loving every minute of it!!

I have spoken!

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Most "investment" cars are poor investments. You've got a much better chance of a decent return if you study the market and make sound investments instead of plopping down 5k+ for a hemi Mopar or SCJ in the 60's. That being said, I've spent approximately the original purchase price in mods and labor because I wanted to. Not done yet with the "Science experiment"

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
This is my fourth Mustang, and the first one I have modded. I fully expect my car to depreciate. It's a hobby, not an investment.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
I also have a 21 foot Ranger bass boat and an incurable fishing habit which I refer to as a hole in the water I throw money in. If you don't have the money that's fine, but I've always felt sorry for folks who have it and are afraid to have a little fun. I work with senior citizens daily and a recurring theme of some conversations always begins with "I wish I would have done X when I had the chance."

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
I work too much, but I can afford some toys. I'd rather be in the garage fiddling with my toy, making her prettier and faster, handling like a 911, than watching a re run movie. How do you place a value on that?
Sponsored