Sponsored

Modified GT vs Stock-ish alternatives

Muztank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
My goal is to get into 911 Turbo S, I've all ways loved them but I cannot reenter the 911 fold at anything short of =>997 Turbo, and frankly that is not going to happen for the foreseeable future.
My interim goal is to have a car that under acceleration pins me back in my seat with near supercar ferocity, handles confidently at speed in corners on backroads, and holds its own on the occasion track/autocross day.

I figure for somewhere in the region of $13-$16k I could get shocks, springs, stop the hop bits, braces, bars, exhaust and a supercharger kit including fitting.

That would see my total spend on an auto GT premium plus mods in the region of $50k-$53k.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on phase 1, being koni shocks, eibach springs and the steeda 'stop the hop' package, but before I commit cash and start locking myself into this journey, I find myself wanting to answer 2 questions:

1. Is there an alternative car that could give me this, at the same price point, in a more stock-ish form, supercharger being pretty major modification in my book? Excluding Challengers and Camaros as they do not appeal to me and would likely need to be supercharged just the same.
I did my research before buying my GT and I really cant point to anything. The closest I came was a 996 Turbo S, but thats 50k for a 15 year old car that has known catastrophic IMS issues, and its 420hp although perfectly paired to the chassis it is probably not enough by todays standards to stop me from wanting more within a year.

2. Having only ever been in my own Mustang, which only has 1k miles on the clock, I'm having to guess that these things really do get that much better at handling? and that the ridiculous power figures attained by supercharging really are as impressive as they sound in real life? I mean 650 horse power should really feel even quicker than a Turbo S, but does it?
I'd very much love to hear some experienced owner opinions on the performance of their vehicles, particularly those of you that have supercharged and have experience driving in or being a passenger of more stockish supercar type vehicles outside of modified mustangs e.g. 911 Turbo, GTR, R8 v10 etc

thanks!
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The Turbos do not have the IMS issue in the 996/997.

Ever heard of Metzger? :)

After a few things are taken care of (coolant lines pinned, etc) the 996/997.1 turbos are VERY reliable cars, and their resale is a known quantity. You'll be losing 20-30k in 5 years on your mustang...

C6 Z06 can be had for 35-55k all day long, pick your year and price, and will do everything better than your future supercharged mustang. If its a touch slow stock, bolt ons get you easy power.

OP
OP

Muztank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
The Turbos do not have the IMS issue in the 996/997.

Ever heard of Metzger? :)

After a few things are taken care of (coolant lines pinned, etc) the 996/997.1 turbos are VERY reliable cars, and their resale is a known quantity. You'll be losing 20-30k in 5 years on your mustang...

C6 Z06 can be had for 35-55k all day long, pick your year and price, and will do everything better than your future supercharged mustang. If its a touch slow stock, bolt ons get you easy power.
Yeah i should really of wrapped more conditions around the car comparison part of the questions, apologies, I don't want a 2 seat vehicle, I like having the optional bench back seats, and a must for me in my DD is a modern, pleasant interior, this is part of what made the previous generation of mustang unappealing to me.

With regard to the 996 turbo, I wasn't aware they where not prone to IMS issues, seems you are correct after a quick search but it does surface a perception problem, many other folks on the net also believe the IMS issue to affect the turbo.... anyway the fried eggs aren't really that attractive either right :) which is why I could of afforded one, although without doubt they will eventually begin to appreciate like the other generations.

Have you supercharged yours?

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah i should really of wrapped more conditions around the car comparison part of the questions, apologies, I don't want a 2 seat vehicle, I like having the optional bench back seats, and a must for me in my DD is a modern, pleasant interior, this is part of what made the previous generation of mustang unappealing to me.

With regard to the 996 turbo, I wasn't aware they where not prone to IMS issues, seems you are correct after a quick search but it does surface a perception problem, many other folks on the net also believe the IMS issue to affect the turbo.... anyway the fried eggs aren't really that attractive either right :) which is why I could of afforded one, although without doubt they will eventually begin to appreciate like the other generations.

Have you supercharged yours?
I have not done anything to mine, but my buddy has a full procharged build, with everything you mentioned (viking rear shocks instead of koni all around). I rode in it, didn't drive it, and he went to the strip last week and put down a low 11 at 125ish mph.

The problem with the mustangs is the weight. Although now that you have a rear seat requirement, pretty much anything will be as heavy (GTR, etc) besides the 911TTs.

I have a buddy with a 2003 911 and has been trying to find the right 996TT for a while now (budget of about 35k). Some dip that low, but are 100k mile cars, and needing some love but 38-45 would get you a great 996TT. Add 20k to that and you're in the 997.1 territory.

Sounds like the new ZL1 might be what you're looking for.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Why spend 50+ on a GT? Just get a gt350.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Muztank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Why spend 50+ on a GT? Just get a gt350.
1. there are no GT350's for sale anywhere close to that in my area
2. if i was getting a gt350 I would need the tech pack which is an additional $7500 extra, msrp is $56,165 then add the dealers extra mark up
3. I want an auto

OP
OP

Muztank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I will say having aired the plan to you guys, I feel like, maybe I should just sort the suspension and call it good, until I can afford to change the car out to an even faster model. And if that is the case, maybe i just buy the FRPP and forget the more expensive koni's and the steeda 'stop the hop' pack. Kinda makes me sad, as I had aspirations of having a beast but maybe the more sensible choice is just basic PP upgrades, and save the extra cash to change out the car in a couple of years.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I dont think making threads asking other people what to do with your money is a good idea. Make up your own mind. Dont have others do it for you. My only advice is dont by cars to feel exclusive or for resale value. Buy because itll be fun or simply because you like it. Cars are not an investment

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
If I did all that, I would probably keep the car until it dies and then dies again.

OP
OP

Muztank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I dont think making threads asking other people what to do with your money is a good idea. Make up your own mind. Dont have others do it for you. My only advice is dont by cars to feel exclusive or for resale value. Buy because itll be fun or simply because you like it. Cars are not an investment
Which part of my thread directly asked people for advice on what I should do with my money? and, how would you prefer me ask members of the community with relevant experience for their subjective opinion on expensive items I am considering purchasing?

I started a conversation that was to ask people with experience of supercharged mustangs to provide their subjective opinion on how they felt their supercharged mustangs faired against stockish supercars, and whether there was much else out there with big performance, stockish, at a similar price point that made more sense.

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
1. there are no GT350's for sale anywhere close to that in my area
2. if i was getting a gt350 I would need the tech pack which is an additional $7500 extra, msrp is $56,165 then add the dealers extra mark up
3. I want an auto
Muztank, i am also following your thread. Last week i had a chance to sit new GTR , it belong to my friend in Seattle.

I want to take my car eventually to those levels.

Now for GT350 yes, in our zone the minimum price is 60k something . and it does not even has tech pack.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Which part of my thread directly asked people for advice on what I should do with my money? and, how would you prefer me ask members of the community with relevant experience for their subjective opinion on expensive items I am considering purchasing?

I started a conversation that was to ask people with experience of supercharged mustangs to provide their subjective opinion on how they felt their supercharged mustangs faired against stockish supercars, and whether there was much else out there with big performance, stockish, at a similar price point that made more sense.
Im aware. I read your post. Its still asking people to help decide. You could have searched to see how supercharged mustangs do. Also these threads usually end in each person pushing their brand as the best. My post was covering other peoples posts as well. Either way good look.

Sound_SS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Trailblazer SS
Muztank, i am also following your thread. Last week i had a chance to sit new GTR , it belong to my friend in Seattle.

I want to take my car eventually to those levels.

Now for GT350 yes, in our zone the minimum price is 60k something . and it does not even has tech pack.
are they selling for that? doesn't look like it to me. i know bickford ford has like 5 of them with some $15k-20k ADM bs but they are sitting there collecting dust......as they should be.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
are they selling for that? doesn't look like it to me. i know bickford ford has like 5 of them with some $15k-20k ADM bs but they are sitting there collecting dust......as they should be.
the most recent i saw was 2 weeks back and black one. it had 60k written on it. and btw now they have only 2 left in stock., 3 were sold recently.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
i bought my new GT from them only bikford ford wa
Sponsored