dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
So I was driving home last night at around 80mph and suddenly felt like I let off the gas (but didn't...). I started to slow down and move to the right lane and the steering wheel started shaking slightly. I downshifted 6th > 5th by blipping the throttle and it barely increased the RPMs at all (about 2300 > 2500 instead of normally I blip to 3200ish). Once I engaged the clutch again it started to vibrate and shudder again so I just disengaged clutch and coasted as much as I could. I was only 1.5 miles away from home and managed to coast for almost all of it. Idle sounds like an old cammed LS motor.

It's still under warranty, so I called the dealership and ford roadside and got it towed. Pulling out of the garage this morning was painful. It barely wanted to throttle in reverse and 1st to get it down the driveway for the tow truck.

Dealership got a preliminary check on it by checking compression and codes and confirmed it was a misfire on #5 or #6 with 14% compression, which all other cylinders were good. They suspect it's being caused by a valve issue (didn't elaborate more until they tear into it in the next few days).

I'll update this thread with more info.

I suspected it was the well known cracked intake manifold issue, and hoped for something simple like spark plugs. Turned out worse :doh:
29401840_1002747493206034_4513604989909729280_n.jpg
Sponsored

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
OP
OP
dogiebitt

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
25100 miles on car. Reading [MENTION=33633]17LightningGT[/MENTION] 's thread makes me want to :barf:
I really really hope it's not that bad. I should know more in a few days when they have a free bay to pull it into.

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
25100 miles on car. Reading [MENTION=33633]17LightningGT[/MENTION] 's thread makes me want to :barf:
I really really hope it's not that bad. I should know more in a few days when they have a free bay to pull it into.

:barf: would be putting it lightly. Hopefully it’s not as bad, but it sounds identical to what happened to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dogiebitt

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
:barf: would be putting it lightly. Hopefully it’s not as bad, but it sounds identical to what happened to me.
Yea, it does. Ugh.
The 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium loaner makes it hurt slightly less. Slightly.
29095910_196522727617696_1761540897553514496_n.jpg

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yea, it does. Ugh.
The 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium loaner makes it hurt slightly less. Slightly.
Lol, I didn't even take a loaner car. I dont daily drive my car, so when it was towed to the dealer(after hours) I just had a friend come and get me.

OP
OP
dogiebitt

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
So a few updates:
1. Dealership still doesn't have an empty bay to tear into my car to see what's actually wrong.
2. Florida Lemon Law only covers consumers for 24 months from date of purchase. This car was purchased August 2015, which means I don't have that bargaining chip to use to ensure proper repairs.

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
So a few updates:
1. Dealership still doesn't have an empty bay to tear into my car to see what's actually wrong.
2. Florida Lemon Law only covers consumers for 24 months from date of purchase. This car was purchased August 2015, which means I don't have that bargaining chip to use to ensure proper repairs.

That sucks man. Hopefully they can get it in some time soon to get the repairs going. I just got in touch with a ford customer service rep regarding mine. Not sure what all is going to happen, but I am now at 23 business days without a car, so my patience is growing thin. The dealer mine is at is good, but ford isnt helping them out in any way. Backordered cylinder head is keeping them from doing anything, so as far as I know, my car is sitting in a bay with no engine still. I told the ford CSR today that im not sure why they dont put a long block in it and stop monkeying around waiting on parts that they dont have available...

OP
OP
dogiebitt

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks man. Hopefully they can get it in some time soon to get the repairs going. I just got in touch with a ford customer service rep regarding mine. Not sure what all is going to happen, but I am now at 23 business days without a car, so my patience is growing thin. The dealer mine is at is good, but ford isnt helping them out in any way. Backordered cylinder head is keeping them from doing anything, so as far as I know, my car is sitting in a bay with no engine still. I told the ford CSR today that im not sure why they dont put a long block in it and stop monkeying around waiting on parts that they dont have available...
Yea, I saw your thread. The dealership mine is at seems to be pretty good too, though I haven't been there for anything major before this. They are one of the highest volume dealers in FL so hopefully they have some pull with Ford Corporate to do this the right way. If mine turns out to be similar to yours and has to have the short block replaced, I'm not sure what I can do to convince them otherwise.

Sponsored

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yea, I saw your thread. The dealership mine is at seems to be pretty good too, though I haven't been there for anything major before this. They are one of the highest volume dealers in FL so hopefully they have some pull with Ford Corporate to do this the right way. If mine turns out to be similar to yours and has to have the short block replaced, I'm not sure what I can do to convince them otherwise.
Honestly, if you are still within the 3/36k warranty, which it sounds like you are then I would think getting a hold of ford and starting a case wouldn't be a terrible idea.

OP
OP
dogiebitt

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Service tech called today and said that a spot opened up in the shop and they pulled my car in. Technician will be diagnosing it tomorrow and they will let me know what's up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dogiebitt

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Another update: they took it apart and found a broken valve spring on cylinder 3 on left side. Will order replacement and check for or further damage. Will check compression.
8ECAE022-481F-457C-8715-12BFEE058E96.jpeg
5DF6E7DF-660F-4FA2-B1A5-C535365FF440.jpeg

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Interesting. I would be worried about possible other damage as well... Wonder how long its going to take to get it repaired...

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Interesting. I would be worried about possible other damage as well... Wonder how long its going to take to get it repaired...
Depends on how bad the break is and how far the valve went down, it may have made contact with the piston.
Sponsored