Sponsored

Minor Shifter Mods

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
When you say you removed the flat part of the insert, I'm not sure what you mean. Is that like drilling the hole in the Steeda bushing insert?

Interesting. Seems like similar parts to the Steeda stuff I have. Glad to hear it worked for you!

I've read some good things about the FTBR bracket too. I had already grabbed the Steeda stuff with a gift card someone gave me, so I'm trying to decide whether it's worth swapping. I am a bit worried about the rattle, but I do have the billet reverse lockout that's supposed to help some.

I wish Blowfish was still around - I read great things about their parts. I think the FTBR bracket is similar-ish, which Is why I'm considering it. I'm just not sure which combo will provide an overall improvement with minimal nvh/noise.
BTW, if you happen to pick up a Blowfish bracket used, make sure it's a 2nd gen with rubber grommets on the 2 posts where it attaches to the shifter. The first gen ones had a lot of vibration.
Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Side by side factory & Energy Suspension's replacement part: Hyperflex Polyurethane

IMG_0187.jpeg
People would be shocked at how soft that factory bushing is on the back of their shifter. I know it's probably to absorb vibration, but the design simply allows too much movement for any spirted driving. It is definitely a low durometer compared to typical rubber bushings.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
People would be shocked at how soft that factory bushing is on the back of their shifter. I know it's probably to absorb vibration, but the design simply allows too much movement for any spirted driving. It is definitely a low durometer compared to typical rubber bushings.

Absolutely true, trying to think of something I could compare it with. All I can come up with is a marshmallow.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I tried drilling a hole in the transmission bushing insert, but the nvh was too much for me to handle for a daily driver, so I took the insert back out and completely removed the flat section at the bottom. The nvh was significantly better and I could still feel the positive results of stiffening up the trans bushing.
Any chance you know the torque of the 15mm (smaller) transmission mount bolts? The 18mm are 85 ft/lbs, obviously the 15mm bolts are less… I can’t find torque anywhere

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance you know the torque of the 15mm (smaller) transmission mount bolts? The 18mm are 85 ft/lbs, obviously the 15mm bolts are less… I can’t find torque anywhere

Here you go learn by doing, start with a calculator, find 15mm .

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 7.20.53 AM.png

looks like 1/2,

So 1/2 bolt torque, coarse thread 35, fine 40, easy as falling off a log. :champagne:

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Here you go learn by doing, start with a calculator, find 15mm .

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 7.20.53 AM.png

looks like 1/2,

So 1/2 bolt torque, coarse thread 35, fine 40, easy as falling off a log. :champagne:
I appreciate the response, but have no idea what that chart means, how to read it, or what 1/2 bolt torque means…

msmy300z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2019 Honda Ridgeline, 2010 Subaru XT
The 2018 and later have the mt82 d4. I have a 2019 and have both the Steeda rear shifter bushing and transmission mount insert. The rear shifter mount firmEd things up nicely and added almost no NVH. I had the transmission mount insert installed but noticed an increased rattle when I would engage or disengage the clutch. Are you own the 2018 and newer transmission there is a shift dampener that can clunk at times. The insert made this worse and I have not replaced it after troubleshooting. I remember liking the improvement with the insert but it’s honestly been a while since I’ve used it.

I believe the FTBR and blowfish brackets are either incompatible or harder to use on the D4 version of the transmission because of the shift dampener mentioned above. My understanding is there’s interference with these brackets and the dampener has to be removed. This is relatively difficult and a block off plate (from Calimer? Transmission) has to be used if it’s removed.

I would love to be proven wrong because it seems like the FTBR bracket might be the best balance between bushings and the full shifter replacement from MGW or Barton

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 2018 and later have the mt82 d4. I have a 2019 and have both the Steeda rear shifter bushing and transmission mount insert. The rear shifter mount firmEd things up nicely and added almost no NVH. I had the transmission mount insert installed but noticed an increased rattle when I would engage or disengage the clutch. Are you own the 2018 and newer transmission there is a shift dampener that can clunk at times. The insert made this worse and I have not replaced it after troubleshooting. I remember liking the improvement with the insert but it’s honestly been a while since I’ve used it.

I believe the FTBR and blowfish brackets are either incompatible or harder to use on the D4 version of the transmission because of the shift dampener mentioned above. My understanding is there’s interference with these brackets and the dampener has to be removed. This is relatively difficult and a block off plate (from Calimer? Transmission) has to be used if it’s removed.

I would love to be proven wrong because it seems like the FTBR bracket might be the best balance between bushings and the full shifter replacement from MGW or Barton
I just did this last Saturday, D4 version is a little bit confusing, I looked that thing over real good before diving in. The BF utube installation does not have that little goody.

2 outside bolts are removed, and that piece can be removed, and set aside.
The center bolt is NOT ...... The Center bolt is backed out just enough to allow BF keyhole to slip over and behind the bolt.

Then reinstall the damper & bolts, and 35lbs torque done.
The damper haveing long bolts, work those first, sung them up, then tight & torque the center bolt, following with the damper

Here is what it looks like, BTW that black bolt seen in the center is on the driveshaft.

IMG_0888 2.jpeg
Sponsored