Sponsored

Michelin PSC 2 Tires - What pressure for street/track

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Hey guys wondering if anyone especially R owners know the ideal street/track pressure recommended by Ford? I'm driving to the track and then plan on running all day on the MPSC2. Want to make sure I have the correct pressure for the street and wondering what I should drop down to in the morning prior to the track....
Sponsored

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Good question; I'll be running a set of these tires soon.

I've only ever seen the general 28 lbs psi recommendation in the supplement, with no distinction made between the MPSS or PSC (as far as I can recall).

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Tire pressure at a track should be considered primarily at temperature (hot). Obviously you have to start cold with some air, but depending on the track, tire, and your capability, you will increase the tire pressure after they warm up a lot (when using regular air, especially). If there is a recommendation for a 28 psi COLD air pressure, why not start there? Tracking is experimenting - you aren't racing. Starting at 28 psi means the air inside will probably heat up and increase pressure to between 34 and 36 psi, maybe up to 38 psi depending on tire compound and how aggressive you are capable of being.

Last edited:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
On the streets, just drive using recommended tire pressures... and then on the track after cooling off then you can drop them down to 28psi cold (which is the sstated the same for both GT350/R track specs recommendation sheet anyway) all around prior to your 1st session. Bring a good quality tire pressure gauge and an air inflator so you can measure & adjust... especially for your ride back home.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My question is - where do I get a GOOD QUALITY tire pressure gauge. I want a digital one. I have gone through a few and they are just junk poop.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so 28 psi all around cold (same as regular PSS). What about for the street? Right now it's at 36psi cold - good to drive 200 miles like that?

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My question is - where do I get a GOOD QUALITY tire pressure gauge. I want a digital one. I have gone through a few and they are just junk poop.
I got the old fashioned kind guage w/ hose - also we have integrated digital ones in our LCD apps..

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kind of pissed I didn't get 315 in the back - went with 305 all around. Not sure why people told me this was ideal - plenty of room left on that stock 11 inch wheel.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Kind of pissed I didn't get 315 in the back - went with 305 all around. Not sure why people told me this was ideal - plenty of room left on that stock 11 inch wheel.
Tire availability depending on what you're looking at. If you wanted PSC2's, well then yeah, that's no biggie.

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Ok so 28 psi all around cold (same as regular PSS). What about for the street? Right now it's at 36psi cold - good to drive 200 miles like that?
Yup... 35-36 psi dead cold is fine. You'll increase it ~3-4 ticks or so on the highway and it's not super hot & humid in FL right now anyway. On the track I say drop it to 29 or even 30 dead cold for your first session since the track & temps are cold & moist in the mornings anyway... since the conditions are not optimal yet you likely won't be pushing it very hard at every corner every single lap during the 1st session. I have seen more human error accidents in the 1st session than whatnot... cold track, cold tires, cold temps- hence more risk. As you progress through each session you can always decrease per single psi increments.

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I target 34-36psi hot (start 28psi cold) and don't like the tires getting much over 38psi hot.

For the street I typically run 36-38psi cold and maybe 40psi if I want a little better mpg.

Ohniner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
Track tire pressures will be different for each wheel and for every track and for each tire brand.
The proper way to dial in your track temperature is by developing
the optimum hot pressure. For track day enthusiasts a good starting point is to ask around and if available a tire shop supporting the event.
Once you have a hot pressure selected, your cold starting pressure is a one time guess. The key is to measure your hot pressure immediately after your track run. In pro racing the car would come into the pits in the middle of a practice session and a crew man would measure the tire pressure at each wheel and record it. He would then bleed down any tires that were above the desired hot pressure and note which tires would require an increase in the cold starting pressures. The tires that were bled down would not be touched for the rest of the day. It is quite common to wind up with four different cold pressures.
The goal is to have all four tires reach the desired hot pressure on the track.
There are techniques for developing the optimum hot pressures, taking the temperature across the face of the tire with a temp gauge is the best but using the triangular indicators on the side of the tire to determine tire roll works also. Stuff marks should just reach the tip of the triangular indicator.
In summary achieving the same hot temperature at each wheel will give the best tire performance and consequently lap times.
Sponsored