Sponsored

Major "thud" problems with the getrag MT?

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
hi european members. has anyone noticed any major "thud" problem with their MT. on the US site there are hundreds of people complaining about an annoying problem/ noise in shifting where they hear a thud after shifting into gear. many have changed over different components , transmission fluid, shifters, brackets, etc., with limited/ variable success. i am awaiting my 2015 fastback GT MT but can still modify my order to a AT if it really is a problems. thanks tom
Sponsored

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
This have also been reported on the German forum. But not as a problem....seems that its "normal".

Personally i have gone for an AT as i can not see the point of stiring the oil around myself when someone or something else can do it for me :D

Seriously though, i have driven auto' for over 20 years and would not go back! Hate the rentals where you get a manual.....pain in my knee after 10 min in town!

If you are worried, go for the AT.

tarnisil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 turbo
To me, AT is like being fed by someone else: you lose the satisfaction of cutting yourself the food and bringing it to the mouth...
Or, to use an astronomical metaphor, as having your computer pointing the telescope automatically to a celestial body: the thrill of the exploration is lost.
To be honest, I've never driven an AT car. I may change my mind...

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
You would if you drove a "proper" automatic!

My Audi has one "proper" auto....8 speeds, paddles, can handle the torque, quicker than any manual ever will be, takes less fuel than a manual (most automatics today) etc etc. You would be surprised what they can do nowadays.

Tbh, all future cars will be automatics anyway, once everything goes electric. Not a question of if, but when.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
hi european members. has anyone noticed any major "thud" problem with their MT. on the US site there are hundreds of people complaining about an annoying problem/ noise in shifting where they hear a thud after shifting into gear. many have changed over different components , transmission fluid, shifters, brackets, etc., with limited/ variable success. i am awaiting my 2015 fastback GT MT but can still modify my order to a AT if it really is a problems. thanks tom
I think mine thuds but I really could care less about it. Did you buy it to drive or to listen to it ? Auto ? Maybe when I'm 80.... Takes 50% of fun away.

Sponsored

stanglex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Change for auto. I've had 2005 GT with MT it was noisy and with thud. I don't expect that 2015 MT is much better.

MT is holdover. Just look at:
Ferrari, Lambo, GT-R

Last edited:

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Drove my car 2 times passed week and it's most amazing AT Ive ever driven! If could I would use an MT but I'm not in a position to do it due to a disability.
Anyway, compared to my BMW and other cars with AT's Ive driven this Pony's AT feels great, even the cruise control is pretty awesome.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
To me, AT is like being fed by someone else: you lose the satisfaction of cutting yourself the food and bringing it to the mouth...
Or, to use an astronomical metaphor, as having your computer pointing the telescope automatically to a celestial body: the thrill of the exploration is lost.
To be honest, I've never driven an AT car. I may change my mind...
I had to agree with tarnisil, even if it's the same 'war' like iOS vs. Android, Windows vs. Mac and so on..

In US auto transmission is very popular and only enthusiasts go for manual. Here in Italy, auto transmission is mainly for disabled people that have phisical damages and can't use clutch or the shifter. I bet that 99,9% of our cars are manual :)

So for us it's not even an option to go for automatic (though Ford has the option for 2,000 eur), moreover on a sport\muscle\pony car!

stanglex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had to agree with tarnisil, even if it's the same 'war' like iOS vs. Android, Windows vs. Mac and so on..

In US auto transmission is very popular and only enthusiasts go for manual. Here in Italy, auto transmission is mainly for disabled people that have phisical damages and can't use clutch or the shifter. I bet that 99,9% of our cars are manual :)

So for us it's not even an option to go for automatic (though Ford has the option for 2,000 eur), moreover on a sport\muscle\pony car!
What? GT-R is for disabled people only? Most Ferraris, Lambo, AMG Mercedes, M-Power BMW, Audi RS also?

Think about it again!

Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
here you don't want an auto transmission. Obviously you don't want to compare a mustang with a lamborghini, right? These you mention are extreme sport cars with extreme solutions. I bet the AT of a Ferrari is a bit different from the one in a BMW..

stanglex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It still doesn't make sense. Most premium cars in Europe (not only with big engine) are automatic. You can also buy most of small cars like VW Polo or Golf with dsg automatic, which has better fuel economy and performance then MT.

btw: GT-R, Audi RS, Porsche has the same type of transmission which VW Polo has. It is modern double clutch transmission.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Automatics have only become popular recently in the EU. They are relatively expensive compared to the price of a car considering that with an MT you can drive it just as well. Plus AT's used to have higher fuel consumption which means higher tax.

With the new AT's many cars have better fuel consumption giving them lower tax, net result the car is cheaper with AT than with an MT. While AT's used to be a luxury option for cars over here, atm its very common. Hell I have only been driving for 7 years and I am bored with shifting. AT's give more consistent acceleration, feeling of luxury and allows more focus for steering etc. And traffic is a pain with a stick.

This differs per car and per country.

In the Netherlands the EB becomes 22k more expensive when going for the AT. While the GT becomes 5k cheaper when going for the AT. Purely based on fuel consumption.

So with the EB the AT is a no go, and with the GT its a very good option.

PS: I will have to try both the MT and the AT, but 99% sure ill go for the AT. Also because of the many issues you hear about the MT.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Automatics have only become popular recently in the EU. They are relatively expensive compared to the price of a car considering that with an MT you can drive it just as well. Plus AT's used to have higher fuel consumption which means higher tax.

With the new AT's many cars have better fuel consumption giving them lower tax, net result the car is cheaper with AT than with an MT. While AT's used to be a luxury option for cars over here, atm its very common. Hell I have only been driving for 7 years and I am bored with shifting. AT's give more consistent acceleration, feeling of luxury and allows more focus for steering etc. And traffic is a pain with a stick.

This differs per car and per country.

In the Netherlands the EB becomes 22k more expensive when going for the AT. While the GT becomes 5k cheaper when going for the AT. Purely based on fuel consumption.

So with the EB the AT is a no go, and with the GT its a very good option.

PS: I will have to try both the MT and the AT, but 99% sure ill go for the AT. Also because of the many issues you hear about the MT.
In Belgium the EB AT is 2000€ more expensive and the tax as well due to the 225gr emission vs the 179gr of the MT. I wasn't aware it might get better fuel consumption that the MT though, normally AT drinks about 2L more.
On my drives this week it varied between 12,5L/100KM and 11,2L/100KM, both measured on 150KM highway trips

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
My other vehicle is a new Ford Ranger which also has the MT82 transmission. It makes some noises, but there are no issues, so I'd say it may just be a characteristic of this particular box.

I've gone manual for my order - there's no way I'd consider changing it.
Sponsored