Sponsored

Mach 1 Tremac lurching forward after recall update / Oil change / Failed Emissions test

OP
OP

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Update: EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!!!

I was going to send the car back to the dealer but during scheduling they just seemed clueless and the guy who handled the first case had quit or was fired.

The shifting issue was resolved after I replaced the cold air intake with the GT350 Ford Performance filter (should be the same just different colors?). I did this because I was at 10k miles, and I think they messed with it after it failed emissions, I had told them there was no carbon trap.

In addition I loaded up forscan and noticed my tire size modification was wiped back to OEM by the dealer. Likely this was wiped during the upgrade or the dealer was trying to wipe the DTC Code: P160A that came with the tire size modification, and set everything back to default

So I put my correct tire size back and then wiped any learning on the PCM/TCM. I did this 3 times back to back and then verified that the correct tire size was still there.

After I did this, the transmission and rev matching was IMMEDIATELY PERFECT. My guess is that whatever "learning" that people are attesting to does not do any gross adjustments, and is also highly sensitive to tire size. I am guessing all the information it uses is downstream to the tires and not engine information. I drove 1k+ miles with no improvement until I did this. What's interesting is that the tire size adjust was fairly small about 3%.

The comments I've seen about the M1 tremac, that it is what it is, or the behaviors people have experienced is "normal". I dont believe them to be true. I recommend anyone with shifting/rev match issues to make sure their air filter is fully secured on the bottom (potentially common for those who removed the trap), and to also hone in on the true tire size diameter that I described here, and then of course to start fresh on the PCM/TCM learning.

Since then, with no exaggeration, its almost as If I have an automatic transmission, it is butter smooth. It shifts better now than it ever did from factory even before the trap/tire modifications, and its been under 100 miles since the relearn. From factory, almost every shift, down and up came with a "bounce" from the mismatched speeds, incredibly embarrassing during city driving. It's so perfect now I want to cry haha, almost like I have a new car and my clutch is thankful lol. Also the dealer seemed completely clueless about what the fix was until I did this. At least 3 people kept telling me to keep driving it like that.

The next thing is to get that emissions fixed since they messed up the first time. I really only need it because I have tints, on a NJ registered vehicle. I have a texas home, and I'd rather have texas plates whenever I'm in a more restrictive state like NJ.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It shifts better now than it ever did from factory even before the trap/tire modifications, and its been under 100 miles since the relearn.
There is no relearn on manual trans.

That Ford's logic might depend on tire size instead of a revolution counter on the transmission just tells me Ford engineers are stupid, lazy and cheap. Imputed values are free, it's just software, but suffers from gigo.

Also why are you delegating a driver task to a clueless programmer ?

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
No computer learning on a manual transmission. I feel like something else was going on here.

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Just a thought, but there is a hill assist feature on manuals. It keeps the car from rolling backwards on an incline when letting out the clutch. Maybe it got screwed up when the computer was flashed.

OP
OP

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
No computer learning on a manual transmission. I feel like something else was going on here.
No, never had a issue with hill assist, the transmission acted up even at highway speeds. I think @shogun32 is right, and I wish I did the filter change independently to investigate the true source. The only thing there could be that there was a small leak or something which I doubt, but swapped anyways. But there is some credibility here because I can start in 2nd easier than i did before, I stalled out once which never happened to me before the upgrade.

but also after fixing the tire size what was happening made much more sense. The car was originally essentially behaving as if it didnt know how fast it was going. So yes while there is no "learning", the rev match was all screwed up with matching . for example kicking the RPMs 500+ upwards on upshifts was a common occurrence. Engine breaking was none existent because it would kick the revs significantly higher than what the transmission was spinning at and just launch me forward.

If I have time ill change the tire size back, reset PCM, and see if it matches like shit again, but that wont be for a few weeks. It could turn out to be a way that people "tune" their rev match. When mine was fucked up, it was like the car was always "on go", some people may want that lol.

Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
No, never had a issue with hill assist, the transmission acted up even at highway speeds. I think @shogun32 is right, and I wish I did the filter change independently to investigate the true source. The only thing there could be that there was a small leak or something which I doubt, but swapped anyways. But there is some credibility here because I can start in 2nd easier than i did before, I stalled out once which never happened to me before the upgrade.

but also after fixing the tire size what was happening made much more sense. The car was originally essentially behaving as if it didnt know how fast it was going. So yes while there is no "learning", the rev match was all screwed up with matching . for example kicking the RPMs 500+ upwards on upshifts was a common occurrence. Engine breaking was none existent because it would kick the revs significantly higher than what the transmission was spinning at and just launch me forward.

If I have time ill change the tire size back, reset PCM, and see if it matches like shit again, but that wont be for a few weeks. It could turn out to be a way that people "tune" their rev match. When mine was fucked up, it was like the car was always "on go", some people may want that lol.
That's super weird man. I have to wonder if the Air filter lip was rolled in underneath where you couldn't see it, and was causing a gap. It's really easy to do because the airbox is so tight fitting and you can't see all the way around the seal.

I had my computer reflashed to update the brake fluid warning recall. Now I'm wondering if it wiped out my forscan tire size that was changed for the HP wheels. Anyone here have that happen? 🤔

OP
OP

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
That's super weird man. I have to wonder if the Air filter lip was rolled in underneath where you couldn't see it, and was causing a gap. It's really easy to do because the airbox is so tight fitting and you can't see all the way around the seal.

I had my computer reflashed to update the brake fluid warning recall. Now I'm wondering if it wiped out my forscan tire size that was changed for the HP wheels. Anyone here have that happen? 🤔
can verify with with a GPS I guess. It is a possibility they just fcked my update and probably factory reset it. There's a DTC that gets thrown I think when you change the tiresize, non-issue, but it probably freaked my service tech out. May see If I can squeeze in trying to verify specifically what it was. I can see how running lean can impact my torque/HP and I guess the computer kicked the RPMs up more than needed to compensate? Not sure, could be both to be honest, im sure its pulling multple sensors.

OP
OP

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
There is no relearn on manual trans.

That Ford's logic might depend on tire size instead of a revolution counter on the transmission just tells me Ford engineers are stupid, lazy and cheap. Imputed values are free, it's just software, but suffers from gigo.

Also why are you delegating a driver task to a clueless programmer ?
I went out and tested this. I changed back to the OEM tire size and rev matching got slightly worse, reset PCM and it behaved the same way, slightly worse. Even kicked up RPMs on a upshift. Not as bad as before, so the air filter definitely had an impact, the biggest IMHO. It was probably loose at the bottom like @AZ_Ryan suggested. changed tire size back to my setup and got better rev matching. I'm not an expert and so I asked AI about this, why wheel speed would be used vs the transmission, and the AI said it was a more "holistic" approach 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored