Mach 1 - Fog light install

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
This is boss level work! You could travel the world and do this for Mach owners. LOL
Sponsored

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
17 F5 Cobra, 93 Fox race car, 21 Mach 1, 23 F150
Thanks to @Geofferstang 's work, I have acquired the Ford wiring pigtails for the BCM and will be adding this to my fog light mod soon. I still have the Ford headlight switch with the foglight function, so its just wiring.

I love it when great minds work together. :wink:

OP
OP
Geofferstang

Geofferstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach1 FJG
Thanks to @Geofferstang 's work, I have acquired the Ford wiring pigtails for the BCM and will be adding this to my fog light mod soon. I still have the Ford headlight switch with the foglight function, so its just wiring.

I love it when great minds work together. :wink:
Let me know if you have any issues and I'll try what I can for remote troubleshooting. If all goes well, would be great to see your install too...

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
17 F5 Cobra, 93 Fox race car, 21 Mach 1, 23 F150
Let me know if you have any issues and I'll try what I can for remote troubleshooting. If all goes well, would be great to see your install too...
Thanks Geoff. When I'm done, I think you and I will have the only 21-23 Mach 1's in the world with factory-like fog lights. 😎

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
This is a totally awesome conversion that many have wanted to bring Ford's feeble attempt into reality. Good for you Geoff!

I like your choice of LED's, given the options available on the market. I miss the full-diameter reflectorized bulbs (incandescent/halogen) appearance. That said, I like your light choice over the other LED options on the market..and your attention to detail to get the horizontal LED orientation perfected.

I would probably closely follow your install, and then apply a translucent smoke film to hide the individual LED modules when the lights are off. (The fog lights are mainly for improved appearance for me, and not for significant illumination).

Anyway, kudos to you Geoff. I'm impressed.

Sponsored

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
Truly an exceptional contribution on your part Geoff. I see the lights you are using are 42W. I am interested in more of a driving light as opposed to a fog light installation. Is there any chance that the circuit could handle 100W lights without doing damage or shutting down?

OP
OP
Geofferstang

Geofferstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach1 FJG
Truly an exceptional contribution on your part Geoff. I see the lights you are using are 42W. I am interested in more of a driving light as opposed to a fog light installation. Is there any chance that the circuit could handle 100W lights without doing damage or shutting down?
Thanks TrackMeisterWannabe,

I am not sure on the maximum amperage on the BCM output despite spending several hours searching so I really cannot comment with any degree of certainty on whether it'll work for you. In the service manual the wires at the BCM on plug 2280G are quoted as 20 guage for each front fog so assuming multicore then about 2-3 amps each output?

During my investigations I did note that Diode Dynamics sold an upgrade / sequential light for the 18+ GT and they quoted 1.5 amp for the foglight portion which is about 19W per light. When I measured the actual current draw on my "42" watt lights I was getting 0.56 amps per light per colour so well within the 1.5 amp the DD ones are advertised at so I was happy to directly wire (no way was I getting 42 watts from those lights at that draw so maybe 42 watt incandescent equivalent at best).

I guess it depends on how close to actually drawing 100W your lights are. If they are truely 100W each then that's around 8 amps for a light and I would not wire that in directly to the BCM so would look to utilise a relay. If they are 50 W each then you are looking at about 4 amps which MAY be ok for the wiring but you are at the top end at 20 AWG I think but it depends on the BCM internals. Personally I think that for anything over 1.5 amp actual draw I would use a relay.

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
Thanks TrackMeisterWannabe,

I am not sure on the maximum amperage on the BCM output despite spending several hours searching so I really cannot comment with any degree of certainty on whether it'll work for you. In the service manual the wires at the BCM on plug 2280G are quoted as 20 guage for each front fog so assuming multicore then about 2-3 amps each output?

During my investigations I did note that Diode Dynamics sold an upgrade / sequential light for the 18+ GT and they quoted 1.5 amp for the foglight portion which is about 19W per light. When I measured the actual current draw on my "42" watt lights I was getting 0.56 amps per light per colour so well within the 1.5 amp the DD ones are advertised at so I was happy to directly wire (no way was I getting 42 watts from those lights at that draw so maybe 42 watt incandescent equivalent at best).

I guess it depends on how close to actually drawing 100W your lights are. If they are truely 100W each then that's around 8 amps for a light and I would not wire that in directly to the BCM so would look to utilise a relay. If they are 50 W each then you are looking at about 4 amps which MAY be ok for the wiring but you are at the top end at 20 AWG I think but it depends on the BCM internals. Personally I think that for anything over 1.5 amp actual draw I would use a relay.
Your efforts are commendable and greatly appreciated. I was thinking the same thing as far as using the BCM circuit as a relay controller.

Thanks again for your assistance with this.
Sponsored