Sponsored

Lund Racing to announce their tune results today at noon!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
It is a marketing ploy by companies to change the scale for HP and Torque. It makes the peak numbers and curves "appear" closer. Ford did this when they originally released the "dyno graph" of the 5.2. At a glance and to most consumers it looks much better, but to those that understand it's smoke and mirrors.
Thanks for educating those of us who are of lesser knowledge. I love learning so thanks.
Sponsored

DWC_SmOziLLa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '05 Audi A4 3.0 V6 Quattro UltraSport 6 Spd.
All the proof that dyno numbers mean nothing. It's just all about the rate of change. The main thing to take away from this regardless of the numbers is that they made a 8.5% Increase in Horsepower and Torque and cleaned up the curves with just a tune and e85. Great Job guys!

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would like to see what the engine temps are on E85

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
Thanks for educating those of us who are of lesser knowledge. I love learning so thanks.
:thumbsup: You must know a little since you caught the discrepancy. It is one of those little pet peeves of mine. I guess I need to get a life since one of the problems I have is people scaling dyno numbers differently to falsely represent gains or numbers, real first world problems huh?:headbonk:

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
So, what's the downside of using E85, other than MPG will drop – and the fact that Ford says don't use it? Will fuel system components be at risk if there's a warranty claim?

Sponsored

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
So, what's the downside of using E85, other than MPG will drop – and the fact that Ford says don't use it? Will fuel system components be at risk if there's a warranty claim?
Warranty Claim? To run the E85 will require a tune so the warranty will be gone anyway.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150

Its not a flexfuel vehicle so the ECU cant adjust the tune parameters to account for e85. A regular flexfuel vehicle doesn't care how much e85 is put in.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I'm more interested in the use of race fuel and not have the worry of cheap grade E85

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I'm more interested in the use of race fuel and not have the worry of cheap grade E85
Same here I have a Speedway down the road with 115 and airport nearby with 100LL. I think they have 110 at IRP.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'm pretty sure they are doing this work in conjunction with Evolution Performance and will have the car at Cecil County Dragway this weekend.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes alcohol can be hard on fuel system components, but modern vehicles are designed to withstand some exposure to alcohol. Around here you can't always get fuel without ethanol in it, so the manufacturers of autos must compensate.

The ratios and mixes of E85 are not controlled precisely (at least they aren't around here), so there's a possibility you could get a tank with more or less ethanol and that would definitely cause a problem if the tune doesn't include a method to adjust for changes in the mixture. If E85 always had 85% ethanol it wouldn't be a problem, but my understanding is that the mix can change. People around here who use E85 in vehicles that don't sense the mixture and automatically adjust buy the E85 in drums and test it before use to make sure the mix is correct.

Also ethanol absorbs water, so it's best not to leave it in a vehicle that is not used for weeks at a time. Not a problem in a daily driver, but if you're going to park the car for the winter you should drain the fuel and make sure it is purged out of the system.

Ethanol does have some great cooling effects and it burns really cleanly. So those are positives.

Yes your fuel economy will drop by 25-30% or so with E85 as well.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
The modern Fords will adjust from E70-E100 content on the same tune as long as the first tank you use to tune is true 85% content. I ran my 2013 GT on E70, E75, E85, and E98 all on the same AED tune. Any good tuner like Lund or AED won't have an issue.

Good point about winter storage or long periods of no use. Just switch it back to a gasoline tune and run a couple of tanks through it before doing that.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
:thumbsup: You must know a little since you caught the discrepancy. It is one of those little pet peeves of mine. I guess I need to get a life since one of the problems I have is people scaling dyno numbers differently to falsely represent gains or numbers, real first world problems huh?:headbonk:
Lol, true that.

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Honestly the biggest down side to E85 is availability. You would need a tune and injectors.

Tell me again how switching to E85 would have any affect on the warranty on my drivers side widow? If the aftermarket part fails or causes another part to fail you couldn't honestly expect the warranty to cover it. Just because you reflash the PCM does not necessarily void your entire warranty. Educate yourself on the Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: