Low Pitched Grinding Sound When Turning

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
As far as I can recall I did not notice this last winter. If I start the car on a cold morning (here in the south the weather isn't that cold - yet - so I'm talking about below 50 degrees) and back out of a space turning, then drive off and turn, I hear it. It sounds like its coming from the rear. I can only describe it as a low pitched sound like a grinding, sort of like if you try to drive on an almost flat tire. In fact, the first time I heard it I actually thought I was getting a flat. All the tires have at least 31 though. It **only** happens if I make a turn in forward or reverse, AND, after maybe 2 or 3 turns and/or a couple minutes of driving it is gone. It does not need until the engine or trans fluid warms up to normal temp, just driving down the block and then its gone. I never hear it when the car is hot and I do not have the infamous driveline vibration.

Could it be the diff, or the axle joints, or ? Anybody else have this?

I'm assuming this will get worse the lower the temperature goes.
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Grinding noise on a turn usually is an indication of a bad wheel bearing.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
But are wheel bearings temperature-sensitive? Wouldn't a bad bearing grind on every turn at any temperature?

PhilJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT 50th Anniv
As far as I can recall I did not notice this last winter. If I start the car on a cold morning (here in the south the weather isn't that cold - yet - so I'm talking about below 50 degrees) and back out of a space turning, then drive off and turn, I hear it. It sounds like its coming from the rear. I can only describe it as a low pitched sound like a grinding, sort of like if you try to drive on an almost flat tire. In fact, the first time I heard it I actually thought I was getting a flat. All the tires have at least 31 though. It **only** happens if I make a turn in forward or reverse, AND, after maybe 2 or 3 turns and/or a couple minutes of driving it is gone. It does not need until the engine or trans fluid warms up to normal temp, just driving down the block and then its gone. I never hear it when the car is hot and I do not have the infamous driveline vibration.

Check your rear end lube. Had exact same symptoms with a Cadillac XLR. Changing the rear end lube solved the problem. Check with Ford service dept and see if they've made any changes to lube type.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I guess if it's just going bad, maybe cold only. But if rear only, might be something else. I would look into the limited slip making noise in a turn since back wheels turn at different rates. Fluid changes and posi additive wouldn't hurt.

Sponsored

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I don't think mine has the limited slip - not on the V6, right? Are you supposed to change the diff fluid on the standard axle?

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
I just noticed the same exact noise on my 16 GT. I noticed it when backed out of a parking spot, turning the wheel, and on a cold morning. I just changed my dif lube out with BG about 600 miles ago. I was hoping this was a normal sound among non PP car and not just mine.Also, my car has a 3:55 gear in case that matters.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I have also noticed with mine, but I would've sworn it was coming from the front (I'll pay more attention to it now). Same situation, colder morning, pulling out with turned steering and hear the noise, goes away quickly after that.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I took it into the shop and they said the tech heard the noise but that its normal gear noise. The only way to get rid of it would be to do the differential service, replace the fluid and he said they could add some friction modifier. When I said it did not make noise last winter he says the gear lube is starting to break down with age (30k miles).

Any thoughts on this? Do I really need friction modifier if I dont have a limited slip? I'm thinking of taking it to a quick lube place because its like $60 cheaper. Is the standard factory fluid synthetic, or should i change to synth?

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Going with synthetic lube would be best. If you don't have a posi traction or limited slip differential then you don't need friction modifier.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I took it into the shop and they said the tech heard the noise but that its normal gear noise. The only way to get rid of it would be to do the differential service, replace the fluid and he said they could add some friction modifier. When I said it did not make noise last winter he says the gear lube is starting to break down with age (30k miles).

Any thoughts on this? Do I really need friction modifier if I dont have a limited slip? I'm thinking of taking it to a quick lube place because its like $60 cheaper. Is the standard factory fluid synthetic, or should i change to synth?
I think the V6 also has clutch type limited slip?

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier

My car does it too... cold, after backing up out of the driveway to the right and then turning left to go down the street. Goes away after driven a bit. I'm betting the people who have this problem all have 20K+ miles. My car did not do it last winter. Does it every time now. I'm guessing it's the limited slip plates... I'll ask my tech friend at the Ford dealer if he knows anything about it.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I looked at my original window sticker and yes it does say limited slip differential. Most likely the clutch type since its not the performance pack or has the high performance torsen gear-type. So friction modifier is required. I wonder why they don't put this in the maintenance schedule?

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I think some of you guys would have a heart attack if you ever drove a '69 Mustang with a Detroit Locker rear. It feels like a bowling ball is rolling around in your trunk!
Must be some crappy fluid Ford is using if it is breaking down in a year. Might put a diff fluid change on my list now.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Right on with that. I was around back then. These new cars are a piece of cake. I drove a 70 Mustang with 428 built a little with tunnel ram and two four barrels. That thing would smoke this new Mustang. That's until we got to the first turn. This new one would be through the turn with barely a tire squeal while the 70 one would be 100 yards into the woods.
Sponsored