Sponsored

Looking for a sharp, raspy exhaust

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade my 'Stang's sound once it arrives (I have about a 12 month delivery period to look forward to, I ordered on May 13th and still haven't even received a confirmation or build date, that's Ford Europe for you).

I've decided to go axle-back only primarily for cost, shipping and noise reasons. I can't really afford to ship in a cat-back system from the US and for noise regulation reasons it's important not to delete the resonator, or I'll never pass safety inspection with my car.

I have a somewhat weird preference with sound in a v8 exhaust. It seems most of you like a 'deep', 'throaty' tone in the exhaust of a v8, and while I can appreciate that, especially in something like an AMG Mercedes, I am definitely not of this persuasion.

It might sound like blasphemy, but I prefer the roar of a muscle car to be sharp, metallic and raspy. More like the 'bees in a beercan' sound of a race car and less of the 'Barry White eating double cream' sound of a refined, civilized v8. Think, the diametric opposite of the Magnaflow Comp, sort of. I know, I know, sue me.

Of course with noise regulations being what they are, I need an exhaust which will give me as much of that as I can get, without at the same time making my car non-roadworthy.

I've been listening to some sound samples of axle-backs and the Roush definitely seems to be the most aggressive and high-frequency rich exhaust, with that machine-gun pulse on high revs and that blurby poppy idle like on an old Superbird.

Two questions:

Are the sound clips on the 'Net accurate, and would you say that the Roush axle-back has the most 'treble' out of the axle-backs out there?

Is it too loud? Not subjectively, since I love the sound of straight pipes, but would it pass a California noise test, for instance?

Sincerely,

#99999999999999999999999 on the waiting list, or so it would seem.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I have a Roush axle back. I have also added the Ford Racing resonator delete x-pipe.

With resonator and Roush AB:

X-pipe and Roush AB:

With the xpipe it is much louder and much raspier.

OP
OP
Gryphon

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have a Roush axle back. I have also added the Ford Racing resonator delete x-pipe.

With resonator and Roush AB:

X-pipe and Roush AB:

With the xpipe it is much louder and much raspier.
Wow, that is an incredibly dramatic difference. What a lovely exhaust note, and the resonator delete really made it. That pipe sounds loud enough to get the Ministry of Transport on my back, though (nanny state) - lovely as it is.

Thanks for sharing both sets of clips! With the X-pipe you have the sound I'm looking for, definitely. No deep understated throatiness there. :clap2:

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Corsa Xtreme Double X pipe =)

COLD START

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]YvPXM7Myr_k[/MEDIA]"]

COLD START Different angle

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Jtf0x3vLkEQ[/MEDIA]"]

IDLE

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]0kBZFKBahtg[/MEDIA]"]

2000 RPM Normal Driving

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]8oGC8tiGTGw[/MEDIA]"]

3000 RPM

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]5c9dLEraB2k[/MEDIA]"]

4th to 6th Gear 3500 rpm

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]mx1SNYfPIGI[/MEDIA]"]

350sexZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 50yr ww 6spd -2014 explorer sport
[ame]. Sharp not really raspy. Just some city cruising a little of everything

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Everyone is showing x-pipe, headers, etc, when he clearly asked for just axle backs... lol

The Ford Racing Sport may be up your alley. In the cat-back setup they are pretty raspy; I haven't heard the axle back yet (I will Sunday), but I imagine it will still have many of the qualities you are looking for.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
x pipe+roush axle back is your step to having a car that sounds just like nascar!

however while everyone has a different opinion on raspyness as much as they do on what is drone.... I'll always recommend FRPP Borla Sport for the simple fact of no drone and you only hear it under accerleration and only gets loud under hard acceleration.

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
FRPP sport cat back is extremely rasping under WOT. Not sure how the axle back compares but it's definitely worth looking into.

Andrew3210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401a, Redline-Recaro
I have the FRPP Sport Cat-Back. On the Autobahn I feel like driving a nascar. Never heard a better sounding V8 but it's also the loudest car on the street. An AMG is very quiet compared to this one.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
the car is so well insulated it dampens the frpp sport so much. then you hear it on the outside and your like

dammmnnnnn

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
like red head, blonde and brunette, youll get 100 different answers, raspy will be an x pipe for sure, and there are a lot of nice ones that fit the bill.

listen online and locally and see what sounds good to you.

let me know if we can help in any way

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Sharp sound I'd definitely go with Corsa. There is some rasp but its also a very clean sounding system. Lots of homework was done with this system:)

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are two you should be looking at... Corsa extreme and Borla ATAK.
Sponsored