Results are only viewable after voting.

webspoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Code Orange
I voted GT500 with my own money, traded in my '18 GT350. It was a great and capable car, but after just 2 seasons of track use and constantly cam timing throwing codes, growing oil consumption, I just did not have a good feeling about it. The 8k redline is intoxicating, but the added rpm and fpc stress really seems to add up.
My GT500 has not been issue free, but the long block and trans seem really soild, after 5k plus miles of heavy track use.
Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
By the way - forget GT350 vs. GT500 - I think we should all be looking at the fact that the Ford ESP is no longer covering any Ford vehicle used at an HPDE event...

There is a thread over on the GT350 forums (and no the motor didnt blow up lol) but they are claiming that the Ford ESP is actually a separate company - that they are not Ford- and that if they can find any evidence of your car being on a track - even HPDE - that they may choose to no longer cover your vehicle - even if Ford covered you previously under the factory warranty for the same issue....

I personally think this is a slippery slope that effects us all - first HPDE- what is to stop them from looking at our computers and claiming abuse based on how often we got a little spirited ....

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Something else, and to be fair, if the consideration is a long-term one between the two offerings I think transmission availability down the road is something to be on top of as well. The TR3160 and the DCT used in the GT500 are well designed units. And I don't think Tremec is going anywhere (but they are signing on to the whole electrification agenda).

Even ten years from now it'll be likely that you can't source either transmission from Ford. Maybe a factory authorized remanufactured unit but certainly not a new one. I'd much prefer trying to source the manual gearbox as it is far less expensive and much more available at the moment. There won't be a lot of GT500 DCT cores out there and that could definitely be a problem. Finding a local transmission company that has plenty of experience with rebuilding them might be a bit of a challenge as well.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I have driven tons of GT500s - without extended seat time back to back - its hard to understand.....

These are my "opinions"

I wouldnt say the GT350 is "better" - I would say it is "different"

Based on my seat time, I think the GT500 has a split personality - it can go from cruiser to holy crap in a second depending on how much throttle you give it.... and the straight line speed is no joke....but I can feel the difference in weight between the two cars in the corners... definitely the superior road trip car....

The GT350 - its always on - a reviewer once compared it to a little kid that wont shut up- constantly throwing way too much feedback at you all the time - between the personality of the VooDoo and the tramlining and the manual transmission-it almost feels constantly on edge

The GT350 is not a set the fastest time/ roll race car- it is an "experience" car
Its the complete opposite of a Tesla Plaid which is all about numbers but lacks all emotion

Many will not like the experience- many do as you can see by the poll results lol

Similar comparison - I have many friends into high end exotics- and most of the prefer the RWD Huracans to the AWD Huracans because while definitely slower- the RWD cars have a different feeling..its a different "experience"- and there are some that want the AWD cars as they are definitely faster on the street....

Same thing when you start talking Porsche GT2s, GT3s, and Turbo S - lots of people still want the manual transmission even thought the PDK is stupid fast/ good - so many choose the PDK
Earlier this week I was visiting a close friend/car buddy in the Carolina's and we spoke about this very topic.

Back in the day one of his first daily drivers was a brand new '66 GT350 and he then was able to purchase a rare '65 GT350 Competition model a number of years later.

He also has a 2020 GT350R HE and a 2022 GT500 CFTP HE in his garage therefore we had a good discussion about each of these outstanding Shelby models.

I have also been fortunate to own and/or have seat time in all 3 generations of the GT500 and the same goes for the 1st generation GT350 and the recent GT350/R models 3 of which I ordered as Canadian Base R models.

We both agreed that each of these Shelby models were quite different with respect to FPC/CPC engines, NA versus supercharged, one revving higher than the other, manual transmission versus DCT, resonators on one and not on the other, significant weight and price difference between the two and the list goes on.

With the CPC engine being launched some 5 years after the FPC engine there is no question that the GT500 has a more reliable engine but to suggest that the 24,211 FPC engines built at the Romeo Niche engine plant are ticking time bombs is pure nonsense.

Bottom line is that we both agreed that the GT500 and the GT350 models provided very different driving engagement, experiences and dynamics for us Mustang enthusiasts and whatever the choice we are all winners.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's some pure nonsense for your viewing pleasure...

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Something else, and to be fair, if the consideration is a long-term one between the two offerings I think transmission availability down the road is something to be on top of as well. The TR3160 and the DCT used in the GT500 are well designed units. And I don't think Tremec is going anywhere (but they are signing on to the whole electrification agenda).

Even ten years from now it'll be likely that you can't source either transmission from Ford. Maybe a factory authorized remanufactured unit but certainly not a new one. I'd much prefer trying to source the manual gearbox as it is far less expensive and much more available at the moment. There won't be a lot of GT500 DCT cores out there and that could definitely be a problem. Finding a local transmission company that has plenty of experience with rebuilding them might be a bit of a challenge as well.
I do think you stand a better chance with the manual Tremec as well. If I’m not mistaken, they’re using that in the Dark Horse currently? Not sure if it’s exactly the same as the GT350 but it should be close enough for government work (similar to the MT82 and MT82d4 used in the 15-17 & 18-23 GT’s, different but pretty close). So as long as the DH is being made (or some other variant that may also use the TR3160), you’ll at least be able to find new ones around.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good points.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
... tell me what the 350 does better then the 500 except in engine replacements. I do agree the 350 at peak rpm does sound glorious.
I think it does a lot better. I drive them both all the time... and back to back. The 350R is more engaging, more "fun", and not as heavy when it comes to zipping around town. It's actually more stimulating... but to be fair to you and everyone else here.... it's hard to measure "fun" & "stimulating". I'm not a track rat, so not chasing #'s. It just feels better a lot of ways but not all.

I say that "the GT500 drives you, but you drive the GT350", amongst other analogies.

These threads, are so subjective and often delve into division. Here's my ranking for which one I'd keep till it's old and picking up kids in 20yrs like the OP asked of us....

1: GT350R
2: GT500
3: GT350

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
...but to suggest that the 24,211 FPC engines built at the Romeo Niche engine plant are ticking time bombs is pure nonsense.
Not a ticking time bomb but there is a higher potential that something can go wrong.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Not a ticking time bomb but there is a higher potential that something can go wrong.
Agreed and a few reasons for that as you know was that these high strung 5.2L FPC engines came with a compression ratio of 12.5:1 and an 8,250 RPM redline which was very impressive for an American built V-8.

We also need to keep in mind that these exotic FPC engines were launched during the Spring of 2015 and were installed in the 2016 GT350/R pre-production models which is pretty much 9 years ago to the month.

PS: The attached picture is of chassis "PP001" which was a 2016 GT350R and was assembled in April 2015 with the Window Sticker indicating the exterior color as "Absolute Black".

PP001-1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I was going to stay out of this but I’ll comment on this. I went to two 350 Track Attacks. The first one I watched two people smoke a clutch, because they didn’t know how to drive a manual correctly. Watched several bounce the cars off the rev limiters repeatedly, see reference to the manual here as well. The whole heel/toe part was like a SNL skit. The second time, very much the same as the first. The big difference was one gentlemen, seemed like a decent guy, but his ability was no where near his reality. He put the car going in to the first chicane at about 130mph from 4th in to 1st, and stuffed the car in to the wall. Put the core support in to the motor and the damage was almost to the a-pillar. We all felt bad for him, he didn’t buy the insurance, and it was his birthday. Point to all this is those cars were beat, and not beat by people that knew how to drive. Its no wonder motors were replaced. That said, know what the actual wear item the school was concerned with? Wasn’t the motors, it was the clutch and tranny. I’ll leave alone all those that thought they’d been fast on the street and were losing there lunch after a few laps.

That's why I spoke to the topic of what the FPRS cars saw. Out of 25 VINs for GT350's, every one had at least one engine replaced. GT500's...zero.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There were plenty of TR3160's trashed along with (and oddly enough) cracked exhaust manifolds.

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I just have to say I knew starting the discussion there would be a lot of opinions on both sides but I never expected the poll to be split so perfectly 50/50! It really does go to show how they are different experiences but so special in their own way.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
GT350 owner attempting to explain what they hear inside their head -
👇

Screenshot_20240229_141556_Google.jpg

Instead of answering the actual question for the 2nd time...

"so, how much qwiker than the GT500?"