Sponsored

** long read; think Ford has an oil issue which they don't want to admit

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
YES, and THAT seems to be a lot of the problem, ZERO backpressure, makes it smoke MORE. (IMOHO).
Do the "high flow" catted DP's most aftermarket suppliers are selling any better than the simple catless.. I hope so I have one on order.
Sponsored

OP
OP

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Would a catless DP have any negative effect on this oiling issue?
I did not notice the oiling issue until AFTER I installed the catless DP; after the catless DP was installed the car smoked, way to resolve the smoking issue was to gut the PVC which I did which I feel led to my excessive oil getting by and into my combustion chamber.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
UPR JOE, what you're saying is the single side catch can I bought from you is worthless?
No, I am just making the point that a good catch can is vital on both the dirty side and clean side of the PCV system. The Dual Valve is always the best because it helps evacuate the crankcase and will give you better all around performance.

The Clean Side Catch Can is something that all EcoBoost owners are finding to be necessary on even the stock to heavily modified. The trucks have basically showed us all the things to be ready for and that is why we offer the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can to be used in series with the UPR Clean Side Catch Can.

The single valve can we offer is great. Except that it does not offer the WOT vacuum and it can be used in conjunction with the Clean Side Catch Can as well.

Thor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red EB
I have an August 2015 built Ecoboost with CAI and cat-back.

I was planning for IC, DP and tuning soon but this thread has me really concerned about future issues with my engine.

Tunes seem to be the biggest hurdle in warranty work, should I be holding off until more information is released?

Is there a way to verify that my car has all of the updated parts from Ford(PCV,IM, etc)?

Thanks for everyone's help/the info in this thread.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
The correct fix is the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can with the UPR Clean Side Catch Can. The only alternative is to run the UPR breather tank setup with a tune to stop any CEL. These are the best ways to ensure any Mustang Ecoboost will not have any oil ingestion issues and sooner is better than later. Because once you see smoke it's already gotten everywhere it shouldn't have.

I've watched our car closely and it's very obvious that we have NO oil ingestion issues and I had to tune the system and determine the best location and setup for the Clean Side Catch Can. Now we spend our time enjoying the performance while many other EcoBoost Mustangs are having tuning trouble and engine problems.

This is not a big beefy 5.0L engine and must be treated with more respect as everyone is trying to get these engines to make good power without adequate protection. Oil ingestion is not a forgiving factor on smaller engines with higher cylinder pressures that require more boost and timing to get the desired results.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
The correct fix is the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can with the UPR Clean Side Catch Can. The only alternative is to run the UPR breather tank setup with a tune to stop any CEL. These are the best ways to ensure any Mustang Ecoboost will not have any oil ingestion issues and sooner is better than later. Because once you see smoke it's already gotten everywhere it shouldn't have.

I've watched our car closely and it's very obvious that we have NO oil ingestion issues and I had to tune the system and determine the best location and setup for the Clean Side Catch Can. Now we spend our time enjoying the performance while many other EcoBoost Mustangs are having tuning trouble and engine problems.

This is not a big beefy 5.0L engine and must be treated with more respect as everyone is trying to get these engines to make good power without adequate protection. Oil ingestion is not a forgiving factor on smaller engines with higher cylinder pressures that require more boost and timing to get the desired results.

x2. As many times as I have had my intake off to mess with my Aux fuel I have looked for signs of oil. Since my "modified" DCVV and greatly modified PCV/plate I have seen zero signs of oil in the intake. I just swapped intercoolers and there is not even a residue in there.

Properly set up and maintained, a DVCC will work well. I have yet to see anything come through the VC side but that doesn't mean it can't. I may just be getting a good enough circulation that it has become a non-issue for now. Big turbo goes on Friday and I will be reevaluating the system while it's all torn down.

I didn't spend big money to run high octane pump gas (Keerrrrrrn) just to have it negated by oil contamination.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
thanks Joe for your insight, PM sent

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
This has me thinking either v6 or V8.

cthomas5714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
So I have a somewhat unique exhaust setup and I have never had any smoke at all and I also didn't have any oil in the intercooler when I changed it out. I have a catless downpipe to a y pipe with the stock gt mufflers. I realize that I need a catch can but considering that I've never had an issue with oil or smoking is there a chance that I just dodged a bullet? I even have the stock idle.

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I'm definitely going GT next time, not necessarily due to the EB reliability. I just like the badges better.

Lexman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
UPRJoe PM sent as well.

If there is a way to avoid this than I'm ok. Just need to know what parts to order and install.

I too, was thinking of options, but really if this can be avoided at a small cost. It is the best option for most. Trading in our car for a GT would be throwing about 10 grand (or more) at the issue to get close to the same payment.

If a fraction of that lets us enjoy our cars please let us know what to order. I too am not sure what the clean side CC is on your site.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting subject matter and combined tech.

What is different about the manifold - any comparison pics or better description of originals design vs revised?

I bought my 2016 in December 2015 - and it also has a 12/15 Build date on the window sticker and the B-pillar decal on driver's side.

So some questions:

1) Was there any known revisions to the 2.3 EB blocks after the initial rollout of the 2015's? Anyway to tell block build info from any casting numbers?

2) I would suspect my EB to have the revised PVC as well as manifold - would this be a correct assumption considering Build date?

Keep the thread going, excellent information to all EB owners.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
I have an August 2015 built Ecoboost with CAI and cat-back.

I was planning for IC, DP and tuning soon but this thread has me really concerned about future issues with my engine.

Tunes seem to be the biggest hurdle in warranty work, should I be holding off until more information is released?

Is there a way to verify that my car has all of the updated parts from Ford(PCV,IM, etc)?

Thanks for everyone's help/the info in this thread.
The tsb printout tells you how to identify which pcv you have.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1133474&postcount=46
Sponsored