Sponsored

** long read; think Ford has an oil issue which they don't want to admit

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Yes; take the coupler off the TB and see if you have oil on the bottom of it.

Little more work but the other way is to remove the coupler coming from the cold side (drivers side) of the FMIC and see if there is oil puddling there; since that is the lowest part of the system oil will pool there first before getting sucked up into the TB.
Thanks for all the info, you are doing us all a pretty good solid with all these details. Will for sure check the TB.
Sponsored

OP
OP

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Whew....interesting question...my advice would be to periodically remove the coupler going to the TB and check for oil, if oil is pooling there you have oil getting into the intake...how much I can't say but that is a problem that will not fix itself and I highly recommend not going WOT until the issue is resolved as oil will dilute the octane and higher boost/timing without the correct amount of octane will lead to ecoboom :(

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Whew....interesting question...my advice would be to periodically remove the coupler going to the TB and check for oil, if oil is pooling there you have oil getting into the intake...how much I can't say but that is a problem that will not fix itself and I highly recommend not going WOT until the issue is resolved as oil will dilute the octane and higher boost/timing without the correct amount of octane will lead to ecoboom :(
If oil is found to be in there, what would be the fix? The new PCV part?

OP
OP

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
I think so, that is what Ford says to do on the TSB. When I bought the Ford crate engine it had been built in 2014 so I spoke with Steve Powell from Tasca who informed me there were updated to both the PCV and intake manifold so I ordered both as it was cheap insurance-PCV was under $20 and the IM was $60.

Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think so, that is what Ford says to do on the TSB. When I bought the Ford crate engine it had been built in 2014 so I spoke with Steve Powell from Tasca who informed me there were updated to both the PCV and intake manifold so I ordered both as it was cheap insurance-PCV was under $20 and the IM was $60.
Hmmm, so the IM was updated to? BAH! Got the part # on handy? Might as well do that also with the new PCV together if they are that cheap....

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Ok so bare with me, what does tsb stand for? And your saying there are 3 parts? Intake manifold? PCV? And whatever the TSB is?

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ok so bare with me, what does tsb stand for? And your saying there are 3 parts? Intake manifold? PCV? And whatever the TSB is?
Technical Service Bulletin.

The TSB changes the PCV box and reflashes the ecm. They do not change the Intake Manifold.

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSB is the technical service bulletin, which documents how to address and fix the issue stated on the TSB. The current TSB is only for the PCV which does not include updating the IM.

Sponsored
OP
OP

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
Technical Service Bulletin; the way to get around a recall...they do that when they know there is an issue but don't want to issue a recall.

According to the TSB the only part that is replaced is the PCV. I updated my IM since it had oil and metal in it and it has been revised...what revisions were made I don't know....

OP
OP

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
It is, $57.20 plus the ride is what I paid...and you have to take it off to get to the PCV so why not?

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Thanks, atleast its cheap LOL.
Ok cool so if I call my dealership and ask them about the tsb for the PCV? Or do i call order that part and have someone do it? Thanks
Sponsored