Sponsored

Limp Mode on the Track

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
As another post said, I can only hear it with the exhaust valves closed. It hasn't gotten better in over 1600kms. I'm not 100% sure it's piston slap.
What is "pistol slap"

This might have been discussed already, but, it seems like Ford's response (and some GT350 Track Pack Owners) to the track limp mode has been, "Well, if you wanted to track your car you should have gotten a Track Pack." Now, with people going into limp mode on the freeway, or at locations off the track, I do not think that argument holds water ( My Cousin Vinny reference). I think Ford owes Base and Tech model owners free coolers or upgraded trannys.
On the freeway? Is this under heavy traffic or driving at regular speeds without heavily shifting into higher RPMs and the car goes into limp mode?
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
What is "pistol slap"

On the freeway? Is this under heavy traffic or driving at regular speeds without heavily shifting into higher RPMs and the car goes into limp mode?
Piston slap is the secondary movement of a piston against the side of the cylinder bore, according to Pistonslap.com. This perpendicular moving piston comes into contact with the vertical movement of the cylinder bore, causing the audible noise associated with this phenomenon.

Said Google.

Urban dictionary defines pistol whip/slap as something completely different. Lol!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
With these cars who knows because I did have a friend of mine who had the track pack go into limp mode. 2 things they found that contributed to the problem. Bad thermostat and early pcm programming. It was fixed and now he runs every other week on a track somewhere with no problems.

I also think every car is different as well as every driver which creates different and inconsistent results. Hopefully my next track runs will yield good results as well. I still feel coolers would be a nice addition for car longevity.

One thing I didn't mention after my track session is those tires must have gotten so hot that I have a billion of little rocks embedded into them and now they look like some are permanent. any suggestions?
I'm hoping my thermostat isn't opening all the way and my car is one of the earlier deliveries (mid-November last year), so maybe I have both of those conditions. The dealer is looking at it tomorrow. I hope they find something to fix.

The tires get sticky when warm! The rocks will come out when the car is driven normally or on a cooler day.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
What is "pistol slap"

The posts I have seen are of GT 350 owners who have had their car go into limp mode while NOT on a track.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Since I connected my temperature gauge for the transmission, I have been able to monitor the conditions that get it hot. Driving on the highway at 75 MPH with ambient at 95 degrees has been the worst case so far and produces transmission temperatures of 210 degrees. Normal driving around town rarely gets past 180.
I have only done 1 autocross event being able to monitor the transmission temperature. When the ambient temperature was 95 degrees and the transmission never went beyond 130 degrees, that situation will never be a problem.
Now I need to get it on the track and I will be able to monitor and correlate how aggressive I drive to get to a limp mode condition.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Since I connected my temperature gauge for the transmission, I have been able to monitor the conditions that get it hot. Driving on the highway at 75 MPH with ambient at 95 degrees has been the worst case so far and produces transmission temperatures of 210 degrees. Normal driving around town rarely gets past 180.
I have only done 1 autocross event being able to monitor the transmission temperature. When the ambient temperature was 95 degrees and the transmission never went beyond 130 degrees, that situation will never be a problem.
Now I need to get it on the track and I will be able to monitor and correlate how aggressive I drive to get to a limp mode condition.
If you get a chance monitor on a trip with passengers? I have found with a couple hundred extra pounds and a lead foot quickly leaves the 210s in the dust. I'm going to ask my dealer to flush the fluid it seems mine may be worse than others, or my foot is too heavy.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
The posts I have seen are of GT 350 owners who have had their car go into limp mode while NOT on a track.
Is that right ! :doh:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
This might have been discussed already, but, it seems like Ford's response (and some GT350 Track Pack Owners) to the track limp mode has been, "Well, if you wanted to track your car you should have gotten a Track Pack." Now, with people going into limp mode on the freeway, or at locations off the track, I do not think that argument holds water ( My Cousin Vinny reference). I think Ford owes Base and Tech model owners free coolers or upgraded trannys.
They wish or better yet wishful thinking

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
i think your gauge might be reading a little low.

I have seen as high as 219 on the street/highway. in fact today, airtemp of 88 degrees, about 70% humidity at absolute sea level i was at 212 after 20 mins in 6th gear doing 75-80 mph.

around town, once the car is warm, i never see less than 180. a cold car really doesn't count.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Quote from the GT350 "Track Tips" supplement:

There's not a chance in hell we're going to get free cooler upgrades. I wish. But it's obvious, from the many forum posts by owners, our tranny's overheating issues are totally unacceptable. And some of us feel a bit misled by Ford. Yes, they do state in one supplement that: "For track day use........... we recommend that you add aftermarket transmission and differential coolers. Your vehicle is equipped with controls that ...(basically throws it in to limp mode)". The operative word here is "recommend", instead of "required", IMHO. Also, in the "track tips" supplement, they clearly state: ".........The standard GT350 and GT350 Electronic Package (should be Tech. Pkg.) certainly can be used on race tracks, but longer runs at high rpm's should be avoided". The operative word here is "should", instead of "must", IMHO. With several drivers going "limp" in normal highway conditions, those statements in print appear to be completely false and misleading. Thousands of us Tech owners are very unhappy and hope FP comes through with an affordable solution to this problem sooner than later. :paddle:

Sponsored

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Any updates on the promised FP solution?
Guy had no date to give..and even told me there was going to be the option to buy a new transmission.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Thousands of us Tech owners are very unhappy and hope FP comes through with an affordable solution to this problem sooner than later. :paddle:
Please stop thinking that you are speaking for all of us Tech Package owners.

The weather here has been unusually and unbearable hot (95+) for more than two weeks, and I have had no issues with my Tech Package on long, high-speed highway runs.

shelbydave

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 shelby gt350
Please stop thinking that you are speaking for all of us Tech Package owners.

The weather here has been unusually and unbearable hot (95+) for more than two weeks, and I have had no issues with my Tech Package on long, high-speed highway runs.
Your lucky
Sponsored