Sponsored

Like father like son...or...like son like father?

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
On June 1st, I bought a black 2019 Bullitt.

The cooler part of the story is that for the ~3 months prior, my Dad (a 72 year old retired Vietnam Veteran) and I rented cars on turo.com, test drove all types of cars, and in general drove my wife and my mom crazy. As my Dad has gotten older, health problems have prevented us from doing some of the things we used to do together (hiking, mountain biking, etc). However, we could both still thoroughly enjoy cars.

He called this morning and said he'd like to come by and say hi to the grandkids. Of course. His actual plan was to surprise us.

Living on a fixed income, his budget was smaller but he has been saying all along that he just wanted a 2018+ base trim GT. He got a 2019 GT 6MT in the color he wanted. We're going to have some fun. 👍

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
bullittt

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
For those interested, the cars we drove were:
2023 Mustang GT
2017 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2021 Mustang Mach 1 with handling package (base interior)
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
2022 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
2022 Mustang GT Premium
2019 BMW M2
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2016 Corvette Z51 Stingray
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP (man, someone beat the hell out of this car!)
2017 BMW M240i
2019 Mustang Bullitt (not the one I bought)
2019 Mustang Bullitt (the one I bought pictured above)

I'd like to ugprade his base Sync 3 system with the small screen to the 8" screen Sync 3 setup that I have in my car. It'd be nice for him to have Waze to watch for cops since he and my Mom split their time between California and Utah.

Sonny

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Nice! Love the wheels on your builtt. They remind me of the set i had on my mazda3. I had wondered what it would look like on a black s550, and they do look good!

Ironically, i had a more generic version of this scenario not too long ago. I took delivery of my 22 gt in june 1st, 2022 and then almost a year to the date later i get a call from my dad saying he finally replaced his 390k 05 f150 v6 with a 18 king ranch with 75k. He bought the old one in 06 and needed an upgrade for his new trailer. I was completely jazzed as I love me some coyote! He wasn't even aware it was a 5.0 coyote, called it 5.8 when he told me.... lol He just told them give me a v8 with the extra tow packages and not a super duty. I had to look under the hood to verify myself when I saw him next, but insisted based on the VIN and my knowledge of these things. And to be a general pain in the butt know it all towards him, that's just how I roll.

So to circle back to the topic of your thread title, he copied me, so LSLF there, but i also wanted to point out that i get the benefit of him field testing the reliability of the engine for me at some capacity. That's just an unexpected bonus perk... Thanks dad!

black22gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trigger
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
2023 Mustang GT
2017 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
2022 Mustang GT Premium
2019 BMW M2
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2017 BMW M240i

I'd like to ugprade his base Sync 3 system with the small screen to the 8" screen Sync 3 setup that I have in my car. It'd be nice for him to have Waze to watch for cops since he and my Mom split their time between California and Utah.

Sonny
Nice! Lots to love here!

Haven't done it myself, but Forscan and the appropriate obd port adapter should get you what you need to make the software bit of the sync upgrade work. Plenty of topics here on it, just search for it.

Do it! 👍

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

The cooler part of the story is that for the ~3 months prior, my Dad (a 72 year old retired Vietnam Veteran) and I rented cars on turo.com, test drove all types of cars, and in general drove my wife and my mom crazy. As my Dad has gotten older, health problems have prevented us from doing some of the things we used to do together (hiking, mountain biking, etc). However, we could both still thoroughly enjoy cars.

He called this morning and said he'd like to come by and say hi to the grandkids. Of course. His actual plan was to surprise us.

Living on a fixed income, his budget was smaller but he has been saying all along that he just wanted a 2018+ base trim GT. He got a 2019 GT 6MT in the color he wanted. We're going to have some fun. 👍

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg
Fabulous 👏👏👏👍👍👍

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Race red is such a fun color for these, and it's surprisingly rare too for some reason.

Unfortunately, the sync 3 swap is pretty expensive, and in theory it can "break" fordpass from working in some cases. Of course, on a manual car, fordpass is almost useless anyway. The parts are pretty much a direct swap, you just need the APIM, the screen, and the bezel. They run from $700-1000 used all together. Some places offer a complete kit for more than that, but they typically include new instead of used parts.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
2023 Mustang GT
2017 Camaro 2SS 1LE
2019 Volkswagen Golf R
2022 Mustang GT Premium
2019 BMW M2
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2017 BMW M240i

Sonny
Hit up @HextallS550 for the 4” to 8” swap. He’ll get you squared away.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Our kits maintain Ford Pass and add drive modes plus the full functionality of Sync 3.4. Its’s as close as you can get to an official swap from Ford. Working in product development at Roush and Ford, we may know a thing or two 😉

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg
Awww man, GREAT story!

Hope you guys have a ball!

Sponsored

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2291.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_2294.jpeg
Being an old guy (I'm 74) and a U.S. Army veteran, I couldn't be happier for him.

Please pass along to him my very best.

Airborne!

RJ

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 8 screen is way overrated. I bought an upgrade kit and it's been sitting on the shelf for 3 years.

Get a good phone mount and your problem of Waze is more than addressed.

OP
OP
bullittt

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
The 8 screen is way overrated. I bought an upgrade kit and it's been sitting on the shelf for 3 years.

Get a good phone mount and your problem of Waze is more than addressed.
Solid point. I've been researching what's involved to do the upgrade. It looks pretty straightforward but it requires a lot of stuff to be taken apart and I don't think he'd want to do that. So, phone mount + Waze on phone could be an option.

Thanks,
Sonny

decableguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP, 2020 VB GT PP
I have a similar story. When I brought mine 16 home in 2018, my Pops said he was going to get him a new Mustang. At the time he had 2000k v6 convertible. Fast forward a few years. He drives by in his NEW Mustang a 22 GT PP1 A10 in Mischievous Purple. 79 year old Pops finally got his hot rod. I doubt he will ever put in sport or track mode, but that car makes him smile. Hung out with him yesterday at a local car show.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I have a similar story. When I brought mine 16 home in 2018, my Pops said he was going to get him a new Mustang. At the time he had 2000k v6 convertible. Fast forward a few years. He drives by in his NEW Mustang a 22 GT PP1 A10 in Mischievous Purple. 79 year old Pops finally got his hot rod. I doubt he will ever put in sport or track mode, but that car makes him smile. Hung out with him yesterday at a local car show.
You really wanna make him smile talk him into putting it in track mode for just a few miles.

You know what they say: “once you do track you’ll never go back!”.
Sponsored