Lights behaviour in euro-spec Mustang

Ferdelance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gianluca
Vehicle(s)
Peugeot
EU Mustangs will have the fog lights with the ugly old yellowish halogen bulb, with a second bulb for DLR. The US ones are LED (and no second bulb for DLR).
For the turning lights and parking lights, EU has a different configuration with turning light on the outer side and taking about 80% of the width. US has the turning lights on the inner part, taking about 50% of width.

But changing this will not be enough, since US has turning and parking lights always on as 'running lights' or sidelights, EU will have only the small parking lights always on.
I want to have both lit, and when turn the turning lights should blink.
I want to use Diode Dynamics switchback LED lights, so both lights will be white during normal use, and when turning the turning light change to amber, blinks, and the switching back to white.

Diode Dynamics switchback turn signal led kit: http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...switchback-turn-signal-led-kit/category/1444/

Probably I need help from user @caniggia that seems to be very competent on lighting electronics :)
If you switch from EU fog lights to US fog lights I don't get what you want to use as DRL. Of course I would like to get the US lights configuration for both front and rear, but I think it would be so hard to change just lights. I am afraid we have to re-wire everything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Sure I rely on the fact that we can get the led tribar installed and working :)
But on the worst case I will only disable the DRLs in fog ligths and drive without them.

Better nothing than these ugly things!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Can the second bulb/DLR in the fog unit and the sidelight bulb in the turn signal unit not be straight-swapped for LED bulbs?

I'm new to this modding malarkey so pardon my ignorance.

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
They can be swapper for sure with led bulbs. But DLR in fog lights will be ugly in any case :D

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Sure I rely on the fact that we can get the led tribar installed and working :)
But on the worst case I will only disable the DRLs in fog ligths and drive without them.

Better nothing than these ugly things!
Or just drive with the normal lights on, so the tribars are shined on and the rearlights are on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
I never drive with headlights on during daylight.

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Or just drive with the normal lights on, so the tribars are shined on and the rearlights are on.
During the day you will not see the reflection of the headlights on the tri bars so it would be pointless, the same as the rear lights get washed out in the sun as well :(....however at night it will definitely look really nice with the lights on, going by the video posted by Topnotch in this thread http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=691339&postcount=134 :)

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
To be quite honest I don't consider these tail light to be safe at daytime... on or off. Have a look at the video Stark posted, look at the pic starting at 5.53

Accidents will happen by confused drivers behind us!

OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
This is a photo I take during my US vacation:

Headlights off and drl on is a very cool effect!
And however no shine can equals the effect of the led tribar on...

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
To be quite honest I don't consider these tail light to be safe at daytime... on or off. Have a look at the video Stark posted, look at the pic starting at 5.53

Accidents will happen by confused drivers behind us!
Yep that's the nice washed out look during the day but don't forget this only with the lights on, which usually you would not have on anyways so wouldn't make a difference. When braking they will be much brighter, otherwise it wouldn't pass the EU standards.

This is why I am going down the tinting route and making the rear lights darker to blend them nicely in with the rear black panel. This will also help with the washed out look during the day.

Sponsored
OP
OP
papinist

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Sure, tint or vynil wrap will be a priority mod :D

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Sound like a good idea, just not sure if it's legal in Belgium, we can't even tint our windows.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
During the day you will not see the reflection of the headlights on the tri bars so it would be pointless, the same as the rear lights get washed out in the sun as well :(....however at night it will definitely look really nice with the lights on, going by the video posted by Topnotch in this thread http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=691339&postcount=134 :)
You can clearly See a difference between Light on and off in the tribars, even in the sunlight. This is a comparison I took at my dealer:

aZCEmAy.jpg

It's of course not like real LEDs, but good enough to me

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
You can clearly See a difference between Light on and off in the tribars, even in the sunlight. This is a comparison I took at my dealer:

It's of course not like real LEDs, but good enough to me
That really only stands out because you have a comprison but when you are driving is it really going to be that noticeable especially when people will look at the car and first thing they will notice about lights is the fact you have your headlights on and then bam your gone......at night fair enough but daytime the reflection is not good enough
Sponsored