Lighter wheel equates to what in performance

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have google searched, forum searched, I'm either not typing in the right wording or there's paaaaaagesssssss of info and I'm over looking the answer.
I love my 50th AAP wheels but based on other 19" stock wheels, I'm guessing these are probably somewhere in the 30lb range. And the Pirelli's weigh 29lbs. Question. How much of a gain is there in performance with a lighter wheel and tire? I know there's a formula for every pound lighter equates to something like 10lbs difference in unsprung weight. But how does that translate to 0-60 time, for example?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Generally it is said that 10lbs off the tire is equated to 100lbs off of the car. If you lose 10lbs a corner, that will equate to a nice gain in acceleration as it's easier for the engine to turn the wheels.

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
I have google searched, forum searched, I'm either not typing in the right wording or there's paaaaaagesssssss of info and I'm over looking the answer.
I love my 50th AAP wheels but based on other 19" stock wheels, I'm guessing these are probably somewhere in the 30lb range. And the Pirelli's weigh 29lbs. Question. How much of a gain is there in performance with a lighter wheel and tire? I know there's a formula for every pound lighter equates to something like 10lbs difference in unsprung weight. But how does that translate to 0-60 time, for example?
Thanks in advance for the help.
I booked marked these two some time ago that might help.

Taken off another forum:

Here's a good formula I found.

1) Calculate vehicle's current weight(x).

2) Subtract the amount of weight you’re removing.

3) Take this new number(a) and divide it by the horse power of the vehicle (y). The number you come up with (z) will be the amount of lbs. per horse power after the reduction. (Step 1)

4) Then divide 1 by the number of pounds (z) and multiply it by the weight before the reduction(x). This new number (b) will be the new simulated horsepower of the vehicle. (Step 2)

5) Take this number (b) and subtract the horsepower before weight reduction(y) from it. This will be the simulated gain(s/hp (g)). (Step 3)

Step 1: a/y=z
Step 2: (1/z)*x=b
Step 3: b-y=g

An article I found at: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/03/power-to-weight-ratio/

Hope this helps:cheers:

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Unsprung reduction is far more effective per lbs than sprung weight.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
^This...

not to mention the Rotational effects that kinetic energy exhibits. the heavier and larger diameter an objects rotation is, the greater the effort it requires to get that object to change it's rotational plain.

Sponsored

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Well, the PP wheels are 32 lbs front and 33 lbs rear, the TSW Bathurst I replaced them with are 21 lbs front and 22 lbs rear. I honestly can't feel much if any difference. But, they look better and are 10x easier to clean so it was worth it to me.

pat5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Normaly, 100lbs of weight saving = 0.1 on the 1/4 but unsprung reduction is more.

When I change the stock front OEM 20'' (64 lbs with tire) for TSW (42 lbs with tire), so a save of 44lbs, I gain 0.1 on the 1/4

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Well, the PP wheels are 32 lbs front and 33 lbs rear, the TSW Bathurst I replaced them with are 21 lbs front and 22 lbs rear. I honestly can't feel much if any difference. But, they look better and are 10x easier to clean so it was worth it to me.

The PP wheels are such a pain to clean lol.

You may not get a seat of pants feeling, but I'd be more than willing to bet you'll see improvements from instrument testing on both accel and deccel.

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
you will notice an increase in acceleration, but mostly you will notice a difference in the handling through the corners and braking.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Acceleration and even fuel economy might get better! The GTPP wheels are heavy as hell 34lbs rears and 33 lbs fronts! Dropping 40 lbs of rotational weight is a given if you go aftermarket wheels. Couple that with a Borla or similar catback exhaust and there goes 70 + lbs!

Sponsored

ridenfish39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
I did notice an improvement in fuel economy. I'm seeing 27 to 28 mpg at 65mph cruise and I have the 373 gears

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I doing flow formed wheels and about 100lbs of weight reduction at the same time. Should make for a nice difference.

Obsessed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
I read saving 20lbs from driveshaft will get ~0.2 in 1/4 mile. When switched shafts on my 2011 GT I noticed a difference. Also read 60' times should improve more. So guess that translates to 0.1 for every 10lbs of unsprung weight removed. Probably a point of diminishing returns though.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I read saving 20lbs from driveshaft will get ~0.2 in 1/4 mile. When switched shafts on my 2011 GT I noticed a difference. Also read 60' times should improve more. So guess that translates to 0.1 for every 10lbs of unsprung weight removed. Probably a point of diminishing returns though.

I'll do before and after runs with the new wheels.

The time may be affected from being able to launch harder too.

OP
OP
murphy

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the comments and info.
I like the Konig Oversteer, I was considering them for my ST and then traded in the ST instead. But at 21lbs for a 19" wheel, I'm considering taking off the 50th AAP wheels for the Oversteers. And I was wondering if the weight difference would truly be worth it as my Stang is a DD and will never be tracked or 1/4 sprints but I do enjoy the occassional twistys and green light races.
Sponsored