Lets see those subs/amps

mike86xj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Don't usually have anything in the trunk but it will end up getting a grill
i'd be scared of something sliding in the trunk and hitting that

I have so much time into the box it wouldn't be cost effective not to mention the materials to make it lol
How much you want for a box with shipping? :D
Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Here is my test fit for my intended configuration. My shallow mount sub in its enclosure with a Polk Audio amp. Both to be placed in the spare tire well. Right now its low enough I can still fit the cargo cover on top, but I don't know 100% what the sound quality will be doing this. May fool around with the final design, maybe build a custom cargo cover with some venting or something, but not sure yet.

Will likely be doing the install June 18th.
20160609_185453.jpg

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
wonder if the amp will run too hot if it is covered up? Looks nice though

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
wonder if the amp will run too hot if it is covered up? Looks nice though
I had my 5 channel amp in my last car in the cargo tray, granted with a cutout for the wires which acted as a form of ventilation, but I never had heat issues, in fact the amp never really got hot at all.

I figure worst case scenario, I'll built a custom cargo cover with vents for cooling/sound dispersion. This amp is rated at 500w RMS x 1 @ 4ohm, and the sub is only rated to 300RMS @ 4ohm, so I won't be pushing the amp too hard anyway.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
Any reason you used plywood vs MDF?
Should've used MDF. I feel it has less flex.
It's a birch ply as I'm not a fan of mdf, it's quite rigid. This was my 1st box build, used a good amount of wood glue and some large thread screws to hold it together and the box won't see the same pressure as a sealed unit with the passive radiator taking most of the abuse.

Sponsored

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
It's a birch ply as I'm not a fan of mdf, it's quite rigid. This was my 1st box build, used a good amount of wood glue and some large thread screws to hold it together and the box won't see the same pressure as a sealed unit with the passive radiator taking most of the abuse.

I agree with you about the pressures of a ported box being less but that isn't what makes a box last. The vibration is what tears at a box, not the pressures. Well, not at least till you get to the comp trucks. The problem with ply is that its tonal qualities are far inferior to that of MDF. If you made two boxes at the exact same dimensions and used the same sub with the same amp, you can hear the difference.

Either way, enjoy it, each as own.

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
I agree with you about the pressures of a ported box being less but that isn't what makes a box last. The vibration is what tears at a box, not the pressures. Well, not at least till you get to the comp trucks. The problem with ply is that its tonal qualities are far inferior to that of MDF. If you made two boxes at the exact same dimensions and used the same sub with the same amp, you can hear the difference.

Either way, enjoy it, each as own.
With only about 120 watts going through the sub I'm not worried, it's a lower power but higher quality sound setup(I'd use a solid baltic birch were I running more power for a super clean sound). Considering the sub is made for a sealed enclosure it works extremely well across a nice range and sounds really clean which is a benefit of both the aluminum cone and the radiator doing its thing.

Also keep in mind this entire thing was done on a very small budget. Sub - $25, Radiator - $99, Amp - $90, Box - $20, wiring etc - $100.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Wondering whats directly under the back seat if there would be anyway of shallowmounting something there. one of my friends told me to replace the 6.5" speakers in the doors with little subs which isnt terrible but not what id be looking for. he said his mini was set up this way.
No room. Your fuel tank/pumps are directly under the rear seats.

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Agreed, that looks very nice!

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
How did u build this?!

Torrentman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Red GT Premium w/PP
Thanks guys. I actually can't take any credit for it at all. A local shop put it together for me. I casually mentioned that it would be "cool to see the amps when the trunk is open". Lol thats what they gave me. Charged me 700 bucks in total labor/installation (speakers/subs/amps)... so guess I payed extra for the 'cool factor'. Oh well ha.

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback
Thanks guys. I actually can't take any credit for it at all. A local shop put it together for me. I casually mentioned that it would be "cool to see the amps when the trunk is open". Lol thats what they gave me. Charged me 700 bucks in total labor/installation (speakers/subs/amps)... so guess I payed extra for the 'cool factor'. Oh well ha.
I'm assuming the subs and amps are not included in that price.
Sponsored