Sponsored

Let dealership top off with Motorcraft or Amsoil ?

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I'll probably have the recall done soon but since i did my O/C with Amsoil before storing my car last Fall , i'm wondering if i should provide the dealership with 1 quart of Amsoil instead of having them use Motorcraft !
Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
I'll probably have the recall done soon but since i did my O/C with Amsoil before storing my car last Fall , i'm wondering if i should provide the dealership with 1 quart of Amsoil instead of having them use Motorcraft !
I also use amsoil in mine.I wasnt too concerned about the 1 quart of motorcraft being mixed in when I had the dealer do the lines. The dealer said there had been a small spill during the line change which they had cleaned up. When I left the dealership I could smell oil burning.Lifted the hood to see oil splattered all the way up top of the passenger side valve cover. Called the dealer up to ask how a small spill managed to end up on top of the valve cover.Was told one of the lines had come off during the test drive as they had forgot to put an "o" ring on it. A considerable amount of oil had come out. They had topped it up properly when I checked the dipstick.Sent a sample of the resulting mix off to blackstone labs for analysis. The sample exceeded the oil test and engine wear categories with flying colors.Perhaps a hybrid mix is a good thing? The dealer has agreed to pay for an engine cleaning. As far that goes I understand dealers are humans..and shit happens..but please please be up front about stuff like that!!

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I also use amsoil in mine.I wasnt too concerned about the 1 quart of motorcraft being mixed in when I had the dealer do the lines. The dealer said there had been a small spill during the line change which they had cleaned up. When I left the dealership I could smell oil burning.Lifted the hood to see oil splattered all the way up top of the passenger side valve cover. Called the dealer up to ask how a small spill managed to end up on top of the valve cover.Was told one of the lines had come off during the test drive as they had forgot to put an "o" ring on it. A considerable amount of oil had come out. They had topped it up properly when I checked the dipstick.Sent a sample of the resulting mix off to blackstone labs for analysis. The sample exceeded the oil test and engine wear categories with flying colors.Perhaps a hybrid mix is a good thing? The dealer has agreed to pay for an engine cleaning. As far that goes I understand dealers are humans..and shit happens..but please please be up front about stuff like that!!

Geezuz i'm dreading this service - I dread any service at the Ford dealer - even an oil change is very risky - probably the one major downside to owning this car.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Did you change the oil after you took it out of storage too? If not then you should.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geezuz i'm dreading this service - I dread any service at the Ford dealer - even an oil change is very risky - probably the one major downside to owning this car.
Im with you man! The first ford dealer I took it to for an oil sevice left the oil cap on top of the fuse box, slammed the hood on it and put a big outward/upward dent in my hood! Of course they denied doing it until I walked in with the 100 photos I took of the car sitting in their service depot minutes beforehand clearly showing no dent.PDR fixed

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Called the dealer up to ask how a small spill managed to end up on top of the valve cover.Was told one of the lines had come off during the test drive as they had forgot to put an "o" ring on it. A considerable amount of oil had come out.
WHAT? DURING THE TEST DRIVE!!!! Wouldn't this drain the whole system???
Sorry that happened to you [MENTION=22444]smsgt350[/MENTION].

Dan, just to play it safe, I'd bring the quart of Amsoil. Why chance anything with these GT350s if you can avoid it.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im with you man! The first ford dealer I took it to for an oil sevice left the oil cap on top of the fuse box, slammed the hood on it and put a big outward/upward dent in my hood! Of course they denied doing it until I walked in with the 100 photos I took of the car sitting in their service depot minutes beforehand clearly showing no dent.PDR fixed
Disgusting

OP
OP
montreal ponies

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Did you change the oil after you took it out of storage too? If not then you should.
No i did not and don't see the point of doing so since i have not even started the car once since it's been in storage !

OP
OP
montreal ponies

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
WHAT? DURING THE TEST DRIVE!!!! Wouldn't this drain the whole system???
Sorry that happened to you [MENTION=22444]smsgt350[/MENTION].

Dan, just to play it safe, I'd bring the quart of Amsoil. Why chance anything with these GT350s if you can avoid it.
Yeah, i think i'll do that, i'm just concerned that they might point out that i'm not running the Ford stuff and that it might get me in trouble later on down the road if i ever have to have engine warranty work performed.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Yeah, i think i'll do that, i'm just concerned that they might point out that i'm not running the Ford stuff and that it might get me in trouble later on down the road if i ever have to have engine warranty work performed.
If thats the concern, quote/bring the Supplemental Manual and point out standard WSS-M2C931-C is written on the Amsoil bottle :D

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would not be too concerned with mixing a quart of Motorcraft with 9 of Amsoil...

Oils are ok to be mixed, especially if same weight is used... I would not mix a non synth with a synthetic though....

OP
OP
montreal ponies

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
If thats the concern, quote/bring the Supplemental Manual and point out standard WSS-M2C931-C is written on the Amsoil bottle :D

Only reason i used Amsoil is because it met Ford specs as you're pointing out.

I think i'll try to speak to the technician and ask him to not put any comment to that effect in the Ford system and to just put the extra quart of oil in the trunk.

Anyone interested in getting a quart of Motorcraft 5W50 for half price ? :headbonk:

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disgusting
Yep I am terrified to take it to any dealership now.Forgot to mention a quarter inch deep gouge in the splitter where they must have driven it into a thin metal edge...leading edge of their lift I imagine? Once again I spotted it and they had no idea how it got there. Ordered me a new one as they knew i had pictures! I do my own oil oil changes now.Kind of a pain in the ass but my car doesn't manage to get mysterious damage anymore. I cant stress the importance of a clean car with tons of photos of it in their shop if you have to take it in.I have never done this with any car before and I am sure the service people thought i was a dick..however I dont care anymore!I dont walk entire parking lots to park it away from doors and carts just to have a dealer beat it up!!

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep I am terrified to take it to any dealership now.Forgot to mention a quarter inch deep gouge in the splitter where they must have driven it into a thin metal edge...leading edge of their lift I imagine? Once again I spotted it and they had no idea how it got there. Ordered me a new one as they knew i had pictures! I do my own oil oil changes now.Kind of a pain in the ass but my car doesn't manage to get mysterious damage anymore. I cant stress the importance of a clean car with tons of photos of it in their shop if you have to take it in.I have never done this with any car before and I am sure the service people thought i was a dick..however I dont care anymore!I dont walk entire parking lots to park it away from doors and carts just to have a dealer beat it up!!
My local "Fast Lube" oil change shop has far superior service than the Ford dealer - only problem is they don't have a good digital torque wrench for the GT350...
Sponsored