Sponsored

Leaking Diff/Half-Shafts?

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
So last week, my 2015 Mustang GT hit the 25,000 mile mark. I took it to my buddy's shop (he also owns a 2015 GT and is on this forum) to get an oil change, transmission fluid change, and diff fluid change.

While the car was up on the lift and they were doing the oil change, I was walking around the rear of the car and noticed this "wet" spot/area on the bottom of the diff housing. This obviously had me a bit concerned. My mechanic didn't think it was too big of a deal and said his GT which has 5,000 miles, also has it though not as bad. Still, it's been bugging me a bit and I figured I'd post about it here to see what people think. Is this normal? Should I take it in under warranty?

I believe the actual culprit for the leak is the halfshafts. There is definitely nothing "pouring" or dripping out. It must just be seeping out gradually over time.

The car has a completely stock drivetrain. This wet spot was noticed prior to the diff fluid being changed and it's obvious that it's old.
Axle-2.JPG
Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Of no consequence, every differential looks like that, and your description as "wet" is way off.

OP
OP
MSMStannyl

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of no consequence, every differential looks like that, and your description as "wet" is way off.
Wet, moist, damp...take your pick. There's definitely a difference between the spot and the dry portions of the diff. That being said, I'm no expert but when I see fluid, or traces of fluid, outside of where it's supposed to be, it makes me nervous.

rakin.it.in

Stallion Kings
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Whippled 2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
I had a very similar situation. I took the vehicle in twice to get it inspected and the Dealer explained that it is possibly an excess of differential fluid. They inspected the area and checked the levels and all looks good. I'd be interested to know if you found anything out.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Mine certainly doesn't look like this - just a nice even coat of that rust color...

Sponsored

OP
OP
MSMStannyl

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not taken it into the dealer. Still trying to figure out if it's really an issue. I just don't want it to be a sign of a start of a problem that actually manifests itself when I'm out of warranty.

OP
OP
MSMStannyl

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been a while since I originally posted this so I figured I would send an update. I just had an oil change done late last week. While the car was up on the lift, I took another look at the diff. The "damp spot" was much larger than before. Still wasn't enough to actually be dripping. As a matter of fact, I checked my garage floor and there was nothing there. However, it was clear that there was a leak from the passenger side axle seal.

Took it to the dealership on Tuesday of this week. They covered it under the powertrain warranty and replaced the axle seal. Unfortunately, they only replaced the one side. I was hoping they would do both since they obviously would've had the same wear and tear on them but for warranty work, they will only fix what is "broken". Oh well. Should be good to go now.

I would definitely recommend people check this. I know a lot of people drag race or track their cars, or even drive them hard. I really don't. I've never drag raced the car, tracked it, I've never even tried the line lock! Hopefully this was just a fluke but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the other side now.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
Thanks for the update, mine has "seepage" from both sides, just less than yours. 2016 with 10K miles, 3.31 diff.