Sponsored

Leaked GT500 Pics and specs from dealer meeting today!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
why wouldn't the extra power be useful on a drag strip? this car sounds like it's going to be multi purpose. more power and drag settings will be more useful than less power.
I agree with you 100%. People will find ways to use the extra power at the drag strip and the road course.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you 100%. People will find ways to use the extra power at the drag strip and the road course.
Yeah, just a matter of tires and supporting driveline durability mods.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Unless a total about-face has been done in the last few months, it's not the 10 speed auto. There are people who've driven a DCT prototype. Doing a change of that magnitude this late in the game would cause major delays. All that said, it could be that the DCT didn't hack it for durability and at near required power levels and a quick reverse course to go to the 10R80 was made. If that's true, the calibration and certification engineers are BUSY.
I wholeheartedly agree. Tremec made a significant investment in their new Wixom facility for DCT production but have yet to produce anything as far as I know. I was told the heat issues seen during durability testing were taken care of and this was a year or so ago.

I still don't see Ford offering two transmission choices given the past history in this regard with their top dog Mustang and typical low production volumes.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Unless a total about-face has been done in the last few months, it's not the 10 speed auto. There are people who've driven a DCT prototype. Doing a change of that magnitude this late in the game would cause major delays. All that said, it could be that the DCT didn't hack it for durability and at near required power levels and a quick reverse course to go to the 10R80 was made. If that's true, the calibration and certification engineers are BUSY.

That makes sense though. I think the redeye blindsided ford, and more importantly power numbers for the price. The dodge cars now second in the pony car race and gaining.

That was I see as an outside observer.

The 10sp, If it’s true did it have to be beefed up further to handle the 650tq (estimate)?

And weight now might be falling in line, I can see it. Up the power because 720 with 4100-4200 wouldn’t cut it. Busy times is right!!

Sponsored

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Man Ford is on a slide...

This car that will likely be $70k or more — and it's now confirmed we get something with an updated GT350 front end from 2015, and a 2011-2014 SRT Charger look-a-like grill... 2 model years into the refreshed S550.

It looks like it is straight out of 2015. Disappointing to say the least.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I wholeheartedly agree. Tremec made a significant investment in their new Wixom facility for DCT production but have yet to produce anything as far as I know. I was told the heat issues seen during durability testing were taken care of and this was a year or so ago.

I still don't see Ford offering two transmission choices given the past history in this regard with their top dog Mustang and typical low production volumes.
I'm curious what manual transmission is to be coupled the GT500's engine...

TR-6060? TR-6070?
The TR-3160 isn't strong enough, even in GT350 spec.
The MT-82::crackup:
Another Getrag?

As far as the 10-speed auto, I can see that... It is the cheaper option and it is capable. About the DCT, it seems like Ford was playing with that idea, in the very least. It is possible that the direction was changed due to financials and the new CEO not really caring about performance cars or cars in general.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe, say, like a year and a half delay?

The '18 Saleen S302 White/Red Label is still my favourite S550 front end, followed by the '18 Shelby Super Snake....
2018 Saleen Red 9.jpg
2018 Super Snake OF 2.jpg
Still wish ford would've went the 2018 route for the GT500... it's not just me being a "2018 fanboy", it would've helped consumer attraction to both the GT500 AND the standard GTs, along with giving the GT guys more options for upgrades. I mean, now it's going to be a mixed mindset of "The top dog mustang looks dated because it uses the old front" and "Why would I buy a 2018 GT when the top dog uses the 15-17 bumper? It's obviously better" among the general uneducated public. It won't help GT500 sales, nor will it help 2018+ sales

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Man Ford is on a slide...

This car that will likely be $70k or more — and it's now confirmed we get something with an updated GT350 front end from 2015, and a 2011-2014 SRT Charger look-a-like grill... 2 model years into the refreshed S550.

It looks like it is straight out of 2015. Disappointing to say the least.
I guess $70k is possible. That would put it in a similar price point to the Dodge Challenger Redeye that has a style basically dating from 2010. I realize we all want what we want, but the changes to the GT500 shown in the photo are pretty significant IMO.

I disagree that it looks identical to anything offered in 2015. Whereas some competitors have much less significant styling changes.

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof
Disappointed in the exterior. Other than the hideous front end it looks as a standard GT with brakes and wing. I hope their weight estimates are wrong as at that point your close to the Hellcat redeye which at least looks decent.

Sponsored

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
The best looking is still the original 2015/17. The GT500 is better than the GT350 which was better than the 18. Something coherent about a fresh design that just gets ruined by updates and refreshes.

The hood vent will be significantly bigger than the GT350 so it doesn't need the side vents which weren't effective enough.

I hope the DCT isn't dead I might have bought one with the DCT not with either the auto or manual.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
I guess $70k is possible. That would put it in a similar price point to the Dodge Challenger Redeye that has a style basically dating from 2010. I realize we all want what we want, but the changes to the GT500 shown in the photo are pretty significant IMO.

I disagree that it looks identical to anything offered in 2015. Whereas some competitors have much less significant styling changes.

I agree, it doesn't look identical — it looks like a more aggressive GT350, with a design dating back to 2014/2015. Regardless, we are 2 model years into a refreshed car. I understand the fact they are using the prior front styling is welcome for some, but by itself, is definitely disappointing to me and a lot of others… It is kind of like they just “threw in the towel” instead of actually trying. Then to hear the car may be over 4000lbs., have less power than we originally thought/believed, and possibly no DTC, yeah.

After 3 years of talking about it, and 2 years of spy shots, it is just not exciting. I guess to me it is indicative at everything big picture going on at Ford right now, which I don't feel anyone thinks is "good".

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Maybe, say, like a year and a half delay?......
Tracks perfectly with some things that I have heard in the supplier community. Add to that the fact that the similar(?) 10AT in the ZL1 shifts faster than a lot of DCTs and that Ford would have control of their own supply and volume. Moving from DCT to 10AT makes a lot of sense.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Im not sure I’d agree. The older crowd loves big horse power numbers. The younger crowd will just watch the videos and read the review and then rave or complain!! I’m very disappointed no DCT. I thought that was a big opportunity to gain market share and separate it from the others
I hear you, I'm in construction and the guys here and at the laborers school just constantly say hellcat 707hp, now its 717hp. They don't understand power to weight ratio. That's why I say they look at the bigger hp numbers.