Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
This is my first ever bag setup but wanted to give this tip.

Sooo long story short I had my bags on for about 6 months now...which has not been the most painless mod ever. I swear it's always something especially with leaks and them shitty connections no matter how perfect the lines are cut. anyways...

After not driving the car for about a week I came home to find my tank was empty... hmm.. I was like that's strange...I checked everything, no leaks at the tank. So I filled it back up.

Next day the chain of problems began. I was popping 30amp fuses all of the sudden. In which the arcing destroyed the fuse box the air ride came with so I replaced the fuse box holder. I was still popping fuses after a couple of days.

So I started noticing during this time that the tank was leaking oddly again...Every time the tank leaked and compressor would try to kick on, pop goes the fuse. So after my uncle and I chasing this problem down for over a month. We discovered that the compressor was kicking and drawing 34 amps at random times. We were like, is the wire to small that came with the kit? There is no way! Every car has this same gauge in just about every kit and people run two compressors!

Anyways what it apparently ended up being was the check valve from the compressor on the tank. The air was going back to the compressor causing it to draw more power.

So I replaced the check valve with this one. https://www.bagriders.com/smc-compressor-check-valve.html

After I got the factory check valve off, sure enough you could blow through each end and it was extremely hard to blow through inlet side. With the new SMC check valve, air freely flows through the inlet side and it's been A LOT LESS stress on the compressor and I notice it fills faster.

No more fuses blown so far and it's been about 3 weeks! No tank leaks... What a relief. Nothing like not being able to drive your car because it fallen and it can't get up like an old man.

now back to chasing this front left leak :frusty::frusty::frusty:
Sponsored

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Thanks for this invaluable information. These are the types of problems that will drive a person insane trying to resolve.

I have been lucky so far. The bags have been on the car for a year and a half and I have not had any issues.

notstok5.0

IG: notstok5.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustang6g.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very good info!

FYI my front leak was caused by the connection at the bag itself - when the wheel turned it moved the fitting ever so slightly that it caused a leak but when straight I couldn't find the leak. I ended up giving the SS line a little more slack and tightening the fitting an extra 1/4 turn with a little Loctite 545 to keep it from moving.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Very good info!

FYI my front leak was caused by the connection at the bag itself - when the wheel turned it moved the fitting ever so slightly that it caused a leak but when straight I couldn't find the leak. I ended up giving the SS line a little more slack and tightening the fitting an extra 1/4 turn with a little Loctite 545 to keep it from moving.
Another great bit of information for anyone tracking down an elusive leak problem. :headbang:

There should be a sticky with all of the great information people have learned installing air ride.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
Definately thanks for this information. I installed my kit around July 2016 and NEVER had a blown fuse issue until recently. I replaced the 30 amp fuse at the battery and all was good for about 3 days and then it popped again. I noticed the tank was drained every morning and had to build pressure before the car would raise at all. I replaced the fuse again about a month ago and all has been good but now that you mention this check valve, I will order one and use it for this reason.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
no problem yall!

Definately thanks for this information. I installed my kit around July 2016 and NEVER had a blown fuse issue until recently. I replaced the 30 amp fuse at the battery and all was good for about 3 days and then it popped again. I noticed the tank was drained every morning and had to build pressure before the car would raise at all. I replaced the fuse again about a month ago and all has been good but now that you mention this check valve, I will order one and use it for this reason.
definitely sounds identical.

after googling the issue with blowing 30amp fuse I found some thread on some random forum back in 2008 with someone on some truck saying it was the check valve and everyone responding to him giving him hell about it claiming no way a check valve would blow fuses.

Once we found out it was pulling 34amps and that was why it was blowing fuses, we were like well it's the last thing to try is to replace the check valve and solve a leak. So far so good.

hopefully will fix your issue as well. Tons of complaints about the viair check valve that comes with the compressor and how that smc check valve, while it ain't cheap, fixes alot of problems.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good stuff, Landon. Glad you got it figured out. I've had a few issues, too, but mine have been all mechanical in nature like wheel offset. Also had phone pairing issues lol.

I agree we should have a sub-section for air ride.

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
it would be hard owning a car like this without it now that I've had it. I can go anywhere without stressing out. just air up and go.
Sponsored