Sponsored

Is the S550 a disappointment?

fordsvtparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang parts!
My '15 PP lemoned out, but I still replaced it with a '16 rather than going elsewhere. .
First year always has the issues that need to be worked out. I took care of the warranty parts here for 7 years, and saw it all the time when a new model came out. The '16 should be better :D
Sponsored

fordsvtparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang parts!
I do wish they would do a hopped up 2.3 EB with the new aluminator shortblock and lots of boost.
When Ford Performance was in town over the summer, they mentioned a 2.3 EB tune and Aluminator are in the works :thumbsup:

dcasandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS Premium 2016
First post here and I appreciate this thread. Flame suit is on. I've been a Camaro fan since I was little. Dad had a 68 SS/rs 396. As an outsider looking at both cars I've never looked at a mustang and was going to wait on 6G Camaro, but I love the looks of the 15+ Stang. It had me in the showroom. I've driven 3 different cars and dealers are coming hard with crazy good deals right now. My thoughts the car is plenty fast enough, interior fit and finish is very nice, exterior looks IMO best looking mustang in 50 years. I think the stance is a little soft looking, but a tiny drop would fix it for me.

As a recreational track goer I couldn't get 4/10s out of the Mustang or the Camaros performance. I just want it to sound, look, and drive good. I'm in the minority here but I love the look of both equal(Different but equal). If the dealers really cut it to the skinny right now like they promise I could never see the mustang as a disappointment. I'm sure I'd love the Camaro too. I really think it's which you like the looks of most and which company you want to buy from. I can't believe it, but at the price I may a mustang owner.

Sk0t24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
While the car isn't perfect by any means, I wouldn't think it a disappointment. There are things I don't like about it. The biggest complaint seems to be the weight. Great news it doesn't feel like a big pig of a car while you're driving it.

Is the Camaro6 faster? It would seem so, but not by a blinding margin. As many in this thread have said, If you're only interest is being the fastest you're in for a very long and ironically disappointing ride.

This platform represents a tremendous value in this market. This Mustang gives you a great total package. Best in any one category? Maybe not, but a very solid car across the board.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I just want to know what the hell is wrong with some of you guys? So, you expect Ford to pin GM down on every turn, every year? This has been going on since the 60's and it's good for business and good for the buying public. Granted, I'm not crazy about hearing this new Camaro is supposedly going to or does outperform my '15 Mustang in stock trim, but I like my car and it's not like my '15 was the final word in so called performance.

I say, ''way to go GM, but I won't be buying one.'' I grew up with Chevy and still had a love for the 60's stangs and ended up a Ford guy. Enjoy your damn car and let the progress move forward. GM engineers are just like Ford engineers and the companies have slightly different objectives which sometimes shine and sometimes do not. The S550 is a great car...enjoy it!

Sponsored

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I'm not reading any more of these threads...this car a disappointment? Just a ridiculous question/topic. I was all set to type a big response but...pointless.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Sales-wise we all know it hasn't disappointed, but performance-wise the reactions have been mixed at best. The first and foremost disappointment was the weight increase. The second, lots of fans were expecting at least 450hp and more torque (the Camaro has 455 ft-lbs). Then, it was motor trend that gave the title to the gen-5 Camaro vs the S550 GTPP in a duo comparison. Now, the Camaro 6 has hit the streets and according to Automobile magazine, "brings the ponywars to a new frontier"
The truth is of all the reviews I've read, the Cam6 surprised almost everyone and the Stang6 disappointed quite a few fans and critics.
I was going to save $$ for the GT350 in 2017, but now that they say it's almost impossible to get (I'm not paying a dollar over sticker) I'll probably have to settle for the S550 GT, but after the comparison to the Cam6, I'm starting to think twice (no, I will never own a Camaro) of owning one soon. Will Ford counterattack sooner than expected? If so, how?
Let down? It keeps selling because it is a well rounded car.
What I bought was a platform to build upon, the S550 does everything well. Stock numbers mean nothing in my book.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
5k for 15hp and 50tq?
i was wrong about the 5k, because it would actually be only 3k in my case. i forgot that im using the number i paid for my car, not MSRP, which brought it closer to 5k, not 3k.

now, lets see, my base GTPP with all weather mats stickered at 35,515 (paid 32,700 before taxes and fees, 1k below invoice) vs 1SS with dual mode exhaust stickers at 38,190, and invoice at 36,657

assuming that i can get the same deal, which was 1,000 below invoice (500 below invoice truecar price when i ordered, plus incentives at time of delivery, black friday, 500 cash back), then the camaro would be 35,657

sticker 38,190 vs 35,515 = 2675 more
sale price 32,700 vs 35,657 = 2957 more, due to the ridiculous $995 destination fee

so yeah, for 3k more, you get a better performing car in every way.

oh wait, there's more.... i forgot that for the mustang to sound right, you need to spend about 1100 for a catback (borla, corsa, or whatever)

so that knocks it down to a 1900 difference....

and in the video, it seems that the 1SS comes with a big screen standard, as well as climate control, and one of the most common mods here, hood struts, LOL. oh and another one that ive seen a lot complain about that they dont have, a digital speedo.

i dont really care for any of those, im care more about performance, but i'll take the freebies.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
First year always has the issues that need to be worked out. I took care of the warranty parts here for 7 years, and saw it all the time when a new model came out. The '16 should be better :D
You got Ford service online to sort issues with ford vehicle, thats taking care of customer right there.:ford:

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
As far as weight and size, I am disappointed with the S550. But I am disappointed with Chevy and Dodge for that with their cars too.

In regards to comparisons -- it is completely silly for anyone to say the S550 is a disappointment compared to the new Camaro that is coming out over a year later than the S550. What did you expect? They have had over a year to benchmark and make a faster car, so it should be no surprise that they actually succeeded.

It may be faster, but faster doesn't make it better. Compared to the Chevy, Ford has the best car IMO. And obviously 10,000 other people per month think that too, otherwise they would be waiting.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
5k for 15hp and 50tq?
WooHOO! When you look at it like that. Those performance numbers are huge for the paltry money spent!:lol::doh:Or just buy a $400 dollar tune for the Mustang and call it a day.:thumbsup:

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Fair enough. I am not a sports fan and don't have a team..... To me, my C7 and my Mustang are just cars and will be replaced at some point. For me, variety is the spice of life rather than one team or one car or one brand. Let me try them all! :D
Oh I'm all about variety. I've owned all kinds of cars including Mercedes and a DeLorean. But the Mustang has always captured my imagination and especially in the case of this current car, well I'm just loving it!

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Sales-wise we all know it hasn't disappointed, but performance-wise the reactions have been mixed at best. The first and foremost disappointment was the weight increase. The second, lots of fans were expecting at least 450hp and more torque (the Camaro has 455 ft-lbs). Then, it was motor trend that gave the title to the gen-5 Camaro vs the S550 GTPP in a duo comparison. Now, the Camaro 6 has hit the streets and according to Automobile magazine, "brings the ponywars to a new frontier"
The truth is of all the reviews I've read, the Cam6 surprised almost everyone and the Stang6 disappointed quite a few fans and critics.
I was going to save $$ for the GT350 in 2017, but now that they say it's almost impossible to get (I'm not paying a dollar over sticker) I'll probably have to settle for the S550 GT, but after the comparison to the Cam6, I'm starting to think twice (no, I will never own a Camaro) of owning one soon. Will Ford counterattack sooner than expected? If so, how?
Consider the fact that you can get a Mustang GT for the low $30K range and then ask yourself what in that price range even comes close to competing with it. The GT is one of the best bang for the buck cars made period.

Sure they could have done a lot more to it... But then the cost goes up and fast.

jcasti07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red GT Premium
I must say that coming from a 370Z, I was never crazy about american muscle. I respected the beauty, but i teased my mustang friends that all they cared about was numbers. They were constantly on the fence of trading in for a Zl1 or something faster. Anybody can throw a bigger block onto a bigger car to make more power, but where's the loyalty? Did you pick the mustang because you thought youd have the best 1/4 mile times? Or did you choose it because you truly appreciated the lineage of the car. I fall into the latter category, how about you guys?

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I must say that coming from a 370Z, I was never crazy about american muscle. I respected the beauty, but i teased my mustang friends that all they cared about was numbers. They were constantly on the fence of trading in for a Zl1 or something faster. Anybody can throw a bigger block onto a bigger car to make more power, but where's the loyalty? Did you pick the mustang because you thought youd have the best 1/4 mile times? Or did you choose it because you truly appreciated the lineage of the car. I fall into the latter category, how about you guys?
This is my first American car in 20+ years and I have owned around 20 Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus since.

I have always been a big fan of classic Mustangs and nothing much until the new gen model came out in 2005 which I liked but not enough with the solid rear axle.

I have owned 3 Honda S2000's and I was really wanting a 4th. This new Mustang came out (Convert) and not only is it absolutely beautiful but when I drove it, it made me feel like the S2000's used to make me feel (as Honda has gone downhill over the past ~8 years). This car is well designed and the quality is as good as the 2015 Acura TLX that I traded it in for.

And damn.. it is fun to drive, even in the corners.

This is the first car since my S2000's that I'm constantly getting "nice car" from people around here (they are not nearly as common here as in the south).

Well done Ford!
Sponsored