Sponsored

Is it difficult to install downpipe and intercooler?

Falcon01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost Premium PP Manual
I'm planning on getting a CP-E QKSPL DOWNPIPE with a high flow cat and some sort of intercooler along with a tune. Between my work schedule and limited time and space to do it, I was going to have a shop install it. Well, the shop quoted me 7 hours of work between the two things to be on the safe side, and with the $130/hour labor rate, that would be close to a grand. I've decided to tough it out and give it a try if it'll cost me a grand.

Anyway, does anyone have any videos or guides to recommend? I am also planning on getting a tune for the car, but it might be a couple days after I install the DP and intercooler. If anyone has any advice, I'm all open. If someone wants to help me out or recommend a shop, I'm located in North Jersey, but am open to driving an hour or so.
Sponsored

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
7 hours seems like a long time for a professional shop to install those parts. It took me about 4 hours on a Saturday to install my Levels IC and I have very little mechanic experience (this is the first car I've ever worked on). Haven't done the downpipe yet but from what I've seen it's fairly easy to do. There's plenty of install vids on Youtube for different ICs and downpipes. Installation process will be about the same no matter which company you go with. CJPP has some good install videos I would check out.

menaecoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost mustang black PP pack
It should NOT take 7 hours to install a down pipe and an inter cooler for a professional shop with a lift and power tools.. But then again it's only a quote, there just giving themselves a cushion incase it takes them longer. If they're honest is should take half that, with smoke breaks :)

Lynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang
plenty Mexicans here in LA do things for MUCH less.jk not really jk
I installed my own intercooler, bought parts off ebay.Took me a day and a half but with a bolt on like yours it shouldnt take long at all. Mine took long because paying ebay price gives you an ebay experience. I would recommend going to a muffler shop for the downpipe.Throw them a 20$ bill and tell them make it happen.

menaecoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost mustang black PP pack
And it would only take them Juan hour.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Any exhaust shop can do the downpipe for pennies and about 45 minutes.

The intercooler is easy (and kind of fun) to do youself. In my opinion, getting the front bumper off yourself if good practice. Chances are, if you're modding the car at all you'll end up removing it more than once. It will help in the long run. Watch any and all videos of intercooler installations you can. The process if really the same and you will start to see what common things overlap with all of them during the course of the install.

As an aside, that shop either didn't want to do the work because they weren't confident to work on your car (not surprising) or just counted on you being a total sucker. Probably both. I would black list those assholes if I were you.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Both parts are easy to do yourself. I've never installed parts on a car before, until I bought this one. I simply had a couple of friends whom are certified tech's guide me through while I did the installs on my exhaust, intake and IC. I enjoyed doing them installs and learning about the car as I went along.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
I'm planning on getting a CP-E QKSPL DOWNPIPE with a high flow cat and some sort of intercooler along with a tune. Between my work schedule and limited time and space to do it, I was going to have a shop install it. Well, the shop quoted me 7 hours of work between the two things to be on the safe side, and with the $130/hour labor rate, that would be close to a grand. I've decided to tough it out and give it a try if it'll cost me a grand.

Anyway, does anyone have any videos or guides to recommend? I am also planning on getting a tune for the car, but it might be a couple days after I install the DP and intercooler. If anyone has any advice, I'm all open. If someone wants to help me out or recommend a shop, I'm located in North Jersey, but am open to driving an hour or so.

make the trip to our shop in Maryland.....
I'll set you up with a great install price:cheers:

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
im mexican with no experience on installing intercooler until i installed the mishi.. I can confirm, it only took juan hour.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I did both at the same time in my driveway with ramps,,, pretty easy, can be a little time consuming the first time,,,allow 7 hours. Many YouTube install videos on both pieces helped me a lot.

Sponsored

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
Took me 6 hours to install the CPE fmic - including 2 hours to get those 2 screws attaching the fenders to the bumper out then back in again lol. Other than that it was pretty straightforward, even doing it solo with hand tools.

A good exhaust shop can do the DP in an hour, easy.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
With a lift and air tools, I could have the downpipe on in less than 30 minutes and the intercooler on in less than a hour. A 7 hour install is ludicrous, at best. I did my intercooler install on a car port in 30° weather and it only took 2 hours my first time doing it. Everything was cold and frozen, including me. It's not that hard or complicated though.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
With a lift and air tools, I could have the downpipe on in less than 30 minutes and the intercooler on in less than a hour. A 7 hour install is ludicrous, at best. I did my intercooler install on a car port in 30° weather and it only took 2 hours my first time doing it. Everything was cold and frozen, including me. It's not that hard or complicated though.
agreed. did both on my turbo car in my driveway and doing each of them on separate occasions with seriously basic hand tools took me a combined time of two hours and i was taking my time.
Sponsored