Sponsored

Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is the actual article which speaks about the built engines Ford Performance had at the PRI booth. None of the 2 engines use the flat plane crank.

http://www.enginelabs.com/features/...rd-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/

PRI 2015: Inside Ford Racing’s New 5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

There was one engine sitting in the Ford Performance PRI booth that almost went overlooked. You wouldn’t know it from a standard Aluminator XS, that is, until you read the spec sheet in front of the engine. The A52XS engine is derived from the M-6007-A52XS part number. Partially GT350 and 2015 GT parts, the A52XS boasts power capabilities of over 570 horsepower through its 317 cubic inches.

Short-Block
We are working on some other ideas. Maybe we can get some more displacement out of this engine with more stroke – Mike Delahanty, Ford Performance

The basis of the engine is the GT350 5.2-liter, 94 mm (3.700) bore block, which is a special high-performance casting containing the plasma transferred wire arc spray weld liner coating.

Improvements over the traditional 5.0 block include thicker water jackets, 12 mm head bolts, and provisions for oil squirters. The intake side of the bore at the deck surface includes a cast-in brace to improve strength of the cylinder wall and head gasket sealing

“The flat plane crank is exclusive to the GT350, so we went with a conventional GT crank in this engine,” said Mike Delahanty of Ford Performance. Connected to the crank are Manley‘s tried and true 5.933-inch forged H-beam rods and Mahle forged pistons. Ford Performance’s naturally aspirated Cobra Jet program is the first time we saw the 3.700 bore Mahle pistons and is similar to the slugs found in the A52XS; compression ratio has been reduced from 12.5:1 to 12:1 for better street manners.

Looking at the GT versus GT350 cylinder head, you can see the valvetrain geometry change by looking at the placement of the valve stems in relation to the cam caps.

The Top End

On the top end, Ford Performance selected the GT350 fully CNC-ported cylinder heads. The casting on the GT350 heads are unique with a slightly spread valve spacing to accommodate for the larger valves and higher RPM stability — 38.3mm (1 mm larger than the GT) on the intake and 32.5 mm (.7 mm larger than the GT) exhaust. The heads are filled with lightweight hollow-stem intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves, requiring the 5.2-liter’s rockers and lash adjusters to complete combustion.

The revised valvetrain geometry on the GT350 head requires a camshaft with a larger base circle. Since the GT350’s flat plane crank changes the firing order, Ford Performance ground revised GT camshafts to work with the standard GT firing order and crankshaft in the A52XS. They feature the same profiles as the GT350 cams, including the 14mm of lift.

All the rest of the usual parts are found in the A52XS – billet oil pump gears, Cobra Jet intake manifold, and 12-quart pan.

2015-Plus GT and GT350 Cylinder Head Packages
We took a 5.0-liter Coyote short-block, put the GT350 heads, cams, and intake on it and picked up 100 horsepower – Mike Delahanty, Ford Performance

For those with 2011-14 Coyote engines, Ford Performance will be offering two different cylinder head upgrades. The more affordable of the two will be the standard GT cylinder cylinder head with its revised intake and exhaust ports that outflow the outgoing BOSS 302 CNC heads.

If you’re looking for the maximum level of performance, Ford Performance will be offering a GT350 top-end package that will consist of the GT350 cylinder heads, GT-specific GT350 profile camshafts, rockers, and intake manifold.

This photo best illustrates exactly how well the GT350 cylinder heads paired with the Cobra Jet intake manifold work on a standard 5.0-liter Coyote engine. The additional 15 cubic inches and half a point of compression is what makes the additional 41 horsepower on the 5.2-liter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
yeah those "rumor" stories floating around also say the aleged GT500 will have a 5.2 but without the the fpc.

- via Tapatalk App

OP
OP

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Whippled 5.2 without the FPC is going to be insane.. I'll be first in line!

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
These make me want to see what the Voodoo will do with catless LTs, CJ and SCJ TB, and race gas or E85. Something tells me that stock TB is flowing less than 1,100CFM, and the long runner intake manifold is choking power at 6,000RPM+.

OP
OP

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
These make me want to see what the Voodoo will do with catless LTs, CJ and SCJ TB, and race gas or E85. Something tells me that stock TB is flowing less than 1,100CFM, and the long runner intake manifold is choking power at 6,000RPM+.

Yea the voodoo will def pick up with the LTs, CJ and TB. The coyote engine at gt350 power level will walk away from the gt350.

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Yea the voodoo will def pick up with the LTs, CJ and TB. The coyote engine at gt350 power level will walk away from the gt350.

The Voodoo will lose in the low end, but I'm not so sure the Coyote will pull as hard up top all things being equal between the two. I'm definitely eager to see some results either way though.

OP
OP

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The Voodoo will lose in the low end, but I'm not so sure the Coyote will pull as hard up top all things being equal between the two. I'm definitely eager to see some results either way though.

All things equal between the two, then voodoo all day.

The coyote does really well up top with the boss and cj manifolds. Power holds through 8k+ rpm.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
All things equal between the two, then voodoo all day.

The coyote does really well up top with the boss and cj manifolds. Power holds through 8k+ rpm.

Right, but if my guess is right, the CJ is really going to open up the top end of the Voodoo. The stock IM and TB are only slightly better than the GT with an Accufab from what I can tell, and that's a low-midrange tuned setup. Even so, we've already seen it crack 500whp@7,500RPM with nothing more than off road pipes, a JLT, and an E85 tune. The Coyote with that IM setup wouldn't touch that kind of power and RPM.

We'll see what happens soon hopefully.

green67

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cad
I'll take big low end power any day of the week. That is where a car operates 99.99% of the time. 7,000 rpm is plenty. A Whippled 5.2L with good heads, look out!

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I'll take big low end power any day of the week. That is where a car operates 99.99% of the time. 7,000 rpm is plenty. A Whippled 5.2L with good heads, look out!

There's nothing wrong with that, but you and I are on two different wavelengths. I don't want FI, and a small displacement NA motor makes up for its lack of size by revving. The NA Coyote will have the advantage up to 3,500ish, but then, the Voodoo will make as much or more torque after 3,500RPM as an equivalent Coyote. It should have an increased advantage the higher it climbs in RPM too. The Coyote is more your style, the Voodoo is more my style. They're both great engines.

OP
OP

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Right, but if my guess is right, the CJ is really going to open up the top end of the Voodoo. The stock IM and TB are only slightly better than the GT with an Accufab from what I can tell, and that's a low-midrange tuned setup. Even so, we've already seen it crack 500whp@7,500RPM with nothing more than off road pipes, a JLT, and an E85 tune. The Coyote with that IM setup wouldn't touch that kind of power and RPM.

We'll see what happens soon hopefully.

Shoot the voodoo cracked 500 with less. Lund made 38whp with e85 tune only. That's 500whp on a Dynojet. And all the JLT tunes are over 30+whp.

But the coyote is picking up 100hp with the 5.2 heads and they keep the torque.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Shoot the voodoo cracked 500 with less. Lund made 38whp with e85 tune only. That's 500whp on a Dynojet. And all the JLT tunes are over 30+whp.

I'm not entirely sure about the JLT claims. I want to believe them, but that seems a little too fantastic. Lund's claims I tend to believe, but they were the ones that tuned Lethal's car too. I don't know what to think about that. I'm ready to see some individual tests. We've seen some full tilt Coyote/Roadrunner builds over the last few years, and I'm interested to see how the Voodoo can stack up to those.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

No such thing as a free lunch, slapp on the 5.2 heads and the cobrajet intake and im guessing the coyote loses some of its low end grunt.

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
Im highly interested in the GT350 top end kit, GT350 cylinder heads on a 15+ GT shortblock is going to be a healthy combo. Im gonna buy that heads/cams/cj intake package down the road for sure
Sponsored