Sponsored

Incorrect TPMS reading - all tires

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I searched this thoroughly but could not find any useful information. All 4 of my tires are showing 3 psi higher.

I believe the car is wrong because I used 3 different gauges (2 of them very high end and accurate) and all 3 of them show consistently 32 psi. Car says 35 psi.

I use the same 3 gauges in my BMW and what the car says and the gauges match in that car.

I use the same 3 gauges in my friend's carrera and again the numbers match.

I understand that Ford sells this "relearn" tool. Is that what I need with this car? I am guessing its a matter of calibration due to atmospheric pressure/altitude? If it were faulty tpms sensors, I dont think all 4 would read that high.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I searched this thoroughly but could not find any useful information. All 4 of my tires are showing 3 psi higher.

I believe the car is wrong because I used 3 different gauges (2 of them very high end and accurate) and all 3 of them show consistently 32 psi. Car says 35 psi.

I use the same 3 gauges in my BMW and what the car says and the gauges match in that car.

I use the same 3 gauges in my friend's carrera and again the numbers match.

I understand that Ford sells this "relearn" tool. Is that what I need with this car? I am guessing its a matter of calibration due to atmospheric pressure/altitude? If it were faulty tpms sensors, I dont think all 4 would read that high.
From research I did in the past the TPMS sensors are very accurate +/-1. Are you sure you had very high accuracy gauges? Most I have seen are +/- 3psi. The more accurate within +/-1 gauges are expensive. Also the cal tool that ford sells essentially sync the TPMS sensor to the car and that's it.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ETWXEWA/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used OEM BMW one which was selling for $50 when my advisor gifted it to me (this one is analog, similar metal mesh wire)

I also used a $10 one which I had bought from amazon.

All 3 of them read the same reading and also all 3 readings from other cars match to what those cars report respectively.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
They read about 1 psi higher.
To me the TPMS is nothing but a warning for a potential leak. I check with a gauge anyway.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
To me the TPMS is nothing but a warning for a potential leak. I check with a gauge anyway.
Im not sure about that. As we all know 1-2psi off could be the difference between a spectacular rolling burnout leaving cars and coffee or disaster in the form of taking out a crowd or jumping a huge curb.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You should see if your bmw dealer will give you a set of BMW TPMS so you can try to install them on the GT350.
I guess no matter what post, regardless of what the content is someone will find a way to post this nonsense. Seriously....

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It cannot be off 1-2 psi. No way. Thats too much. And the fact that all 4 read that high is a problem itself.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I guess no matter what post, regardless of what the content is someone will find a way to post this nonsense. Seriously....
Wether you will admit it or not, a decent amount of your posts are CLEARLY trolling efforts. As the saying goes, "you've made your bed now lie in it".

It cannot be off 1-2 psi. No way. Thats too much. And the fact that all 4 read that high is a problem itself.
Personally I think 1-2psi to be acceptable for a TPMS sensor. My '06 tacoma only has a dash light that lights up when it's 4-6psi off the set point. Although, the fact that 3 of your gauges read the same is troubling. It might be worth your time to talk to a local service tech and see if there's a way to reset or calibrate the system/sensors. If there happens to be no solution, at least the car is consistent from corner to corner and just remember it's 3psi off.:cheers:

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wether you will admit it or not, a decent amount of your posts are CLEARLY trolling efforts. As the saying goes, "you've made your bed now lie in it".

Personally I think 1-2psi to be acceptable for a TPMS sensor. My '06 tacoma only has a dash light that lights up when it's 4-6psi off the set point. Although, the fact that 3 of your gauges read the same is troubling. It might be worth your time to talk to a local service tech and see if there's a way to reset or calibrate the system/sensors. If there happens to be no solution, at least the car is consistent from corner to corner and just remember it's 3psi off.:cheers:
I would like to understand your (and other people who call me a troll here) definition of a troll. I have been hanging around here for a year now. Initially the agreement was that I was trolling these forums and had no genuine interest in buying the car. Right. Now I bought the car (and have 3000 miles on it), how am I trolling?

As a person, I'm cynical. It's my personality. I like weighing in on negatives of pretty much anything rather than positives, because in my mind in the most primitive way, a person must account for negatives, pitfalls, weakpoints, etc in order to survive/succeed/etc. That's how I am. So I come here and I point out problems about this car, and I'm automatically a troll.

My definition of a troll is someone purposefully stirring shit up for his own amusement. What I am doing isn't that. I truly believe in what I say and I stand behind it. Because I'm an outlier/minority/don't drink the kool aid, I'm treated as a troll. I disagree and I honestly am sick of it.

You can see me in BMW forums after owning several BMW M cars critiquing BMW. You can see me do the same in apple forums after owning several apple products. I always focus on negatives, weak points. I'm an engineer and as part of my job I have to design for weaknesses, that's how my brain is wired up.

Stop calling me a troll because I am not. Seriously. If anyone reads my post history and put some serious thinking into it, you'll see I'm genuine.

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to understand your (and other people who call me a troll here) definition of a troll. I have been hanging around here for a year now. Initially the agreement was that I was trolling these forums and had no genuine interest in buying the car. Right. Now I bought the car (and have 3000 miles on it), how am I trolling?

As a person, I'm cynical. It's my personality. I like weighing in on negatives of pretty much anything rather than positives, because in my mind in the most primitive way, a person must account for negatives, pitfalls, weakpoints, etc in order to survive/succeed/etc. That's how I am. So I come here and I point out problems about this car, and I'm automatically a troll.

My definition of a troll is someone purposefully stirring shit up for his own amusement. What I am doing isn't that. I truly believe in what I say and I stand behind it. Because I'm an outlier/minority/don't drink the kool aid, I'm treated as a troll. I disagree and I honestly am sick of it.

You can see me in BMW forums after owning several BMW M cars critiquing BMW. You can see me do the same in apple forums after owning several apple products. I always focus on negatives, weak points. I'm an engineer and as part of my job I have to design for weaknesses, that's how my brain is wired up.

Stop calling me a troll because I am not. Seriously. If anyone reads my post history and put some serious thinking into it, you'll see I'm genuine.
My definition of a troll is exactly like yours. I just believe sometimes you create asinine posts/threads because you're bored and looking for amusement. Not all the time, just sometimes. Since you asked me to stop calling you a troll; I will stop.

Hope you find out what's wrong with your sensors I'm interested to find out what the resolution is.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I think he bought a GT350 just so we wouldn't call him a troll who has no interest in buying the car. Now hes just a troll who bought the car.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I would take it to the dealer, along with your gauges, and express your concern.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think he bought a GT350 just so we wouldn't call him a troll who has no interest in buying the car. Now hes just a troll who bought the car.
The ultimate trollol.
Sponsored