Sponsored

Incorrect TPMS reading after flat repair kit

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I recently had a nail in my tire and had to use the inflation kit. After the repair all tires read 33 psi. In the next 20 miles the pressure slowly started to drop and went to 22 psi in the patched tire. I manually checked all pressures and all tires including the one with the low pressure reading were at 33 psi. I tried retraining the sensors by pressing the start button and then the hazard button 6 times and letting out air until the car honked at me. Now the tires read 29psi in all except the patched one, which reads 20 psi (but is actually at 29 psi). Any other suggestions besides replacing the TPMS sensor?
Sponsored

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
I recently had a nail in my tire and had to use the inflation kit. After the repair all tires read 33 psi. In the next 20 miles the pressure slowly started to drop and went to 22 psi in the patched tire. I manually checked all pressures and all tires including the one with the low pressure reading were at 33 psi. I tried retraining the sensors by pressing the start button and then the hazard button 6 times and letting out air until the car honked at me. Now the tires read 29psi in all except the patched one, which reads 20 psi (but is actually at 29 psi). Any other suggestions besides replacing the TPMS sensor?
I know the tire repair goo destroys the TPMS sensor and it must be replaced. It's the main reason I'll only use it in an absolute emergency. Ford can pay to tow me to a tire repair and then I don't have to buy a new TPMS.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
awmustang is correct, the fix-a-flat type stuff gums up the sensor and ruins it.