Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
So, one of the companies I do some consulting work for throws these Inconel engine mount bearings away when they rebuild the mounts for the airlines. (They are engine mounts for 737's). When I looked at them, I thought, wow what a great shift knob. Maybe put an aluminum insert in the middle and thread it and you have a shift knob that has probably flown all over the world. Shift pattern could pretty easily be etched into the aluminum. They are quite heavy... Can anyone give me some measurements off the stock shift knob (my car is an automatic). The threads are 12mm/1.25 I think and there is a recess in the bottom of the knob for the reverse lock-out? I appreciate any help!
WP_20160202_003.jpg
Sponsored

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback PP Manual
Like the idea and continues the plane / aircraft theme too.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
this actually gets me thinking
anyone ever do a hollow type knob like that where it has rim like spokes to connect to the centerhub where the shaft connects

Sponsored

Beef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 S550 GT
Looks like a 2 inch ball.........

Reverse collar depth is 1/2 inch

Thread starts about 1/4 from bottom

Hope this helps....

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The OD of these is 2 1/8 so they will be perfect. Beef, can you get me one more dimension? I need the diameter of the reverse collar cut-out.

this actually gets me thinking
anyone ever do a hollow type knob like that where it has rim like spokes to connect to the centerhub where the shaft connects
I'm sure you could put any insert in that you can get machined. Just needs to be a press fit with a center post big enough to thread.

ohmy350

Threads
Reaction score
If you have any machining to do to the Inconel, it's a mother f'er to machine. Not difficult in terms of hardness, but very abrasive on carbide cutting tools. Even ceramic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
speedfrk

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
If you have any machining to do to the Inconel, it's a mother f'er to machine. Not difficult in terms of hardness, but very abrasive on carbide cutting tools. Even ceramic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's hard to work with in general- welding, dent removal, etc. Hopefully, no machining, just a press fit aluminum insert which will be easy to machine and thread.
Sponsored