Sponsored

In 30 Years, When Our FOBs Are Dead, How Do We Get In?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I wish these were the problems I could sit around thinking about... lmao
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
In 30 years I'll be dead. Won't care then. I do not want to live to be 84. I watched/watching my parents. It doesn't look like fun.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Our FOBs will work just as good in 30 years as they do now........as long as they're not worn-out.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Are the electrical systems in these cars EMP proof? I doubt we'll be able to use any modern car after our impending nuclear war.
Don't worry, you're in Florida. No need to nuke Florida........it's hit already.

:lol::lol:

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Well I see lots of funny posts and only one serious answer so I thought I'd be a Debbie Downer and reiterate these cars do have a key inside the fob that allows physical access through a physical lock on the door.

Sponsored

sunburned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 WK2
I had my Jeep keyfob die on me a few times. I used the mechanical key to get in and the alarm went nuts. Apparently to start the push-button-only ignition, you use the butt end of the key fob and push the start button. There is an RFID chip in the fob that the jeep can read through the start button and it started right up. Pretty good way to do it IMO.

Although if your car battery is dead, you are still SOL. I guess that's where those newfangled cigarette lighter/power plug battery jumpers come into play. Pretty crazy if those actually work, small enough to keep in the glove box.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
New battery in the FOB? Rewire the car for a key ignition? Get in our self driving hybrid because driving is illegal?

I would like to keep my car forever, but I don't know if modern cars will last that long, they aren't built that well.
They're objectively built better than ever... but they may be more difficult to maintain if/when certain things break given their increasing complexity.

In any case, as you said, in 30 years, it's probably gonna start to become pretty hard to drive yourself anywhere, anyways, heh. Give it another 20 years, and you won't even legally be allowed to.

EDIT: I see someone beat me to the punch. Glad to see it... Feel like a lot of the time I'm in the minority on that side of the debate on car forums.

Last edited:

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I'd be 95 in 30 years, doubt I'll make it that long and if I did I likely wouldn't be capable of doing more than shuffling a walker around. The joy. Trying to do the burn out rather than rust out thing, making progress on that.

My car did come with a key as well as the clicker.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
Well I see lots of funny posts and only one serious answer so I thought I'd be a Debbie Downer and reiterate these cars do have a key inside the fob that allows physical access through a physical lock on the door.
And then once youre in, how you going to start it without a working fob? I know the original question was how would we get in, but it doesnt do much good getting in if you cant start it :)

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Millions of cars have fobs today.....i'm sure someone will jump on the replacement fob opportunity. Not something to lose sleep over.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passive NFC reader in the cupholder...

seriously? does anyone read the manual? :shrug:
No, I think we all know about the passive reader in the cup holder and actually do RTFM... the subject line says "WHEN THE FOBS ARE DEAD". Meaning no fob to put in the holder. As in dead. History. Gone. Kaput.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
No, I think we all know about the passive reader in the cup holder and actually do RTFM... the subject line says "WHEN THE FOBS ARE DEAD". Meaning no fob to put in the holder. As in dead. History. Gone. Kaput.
That's just it... passive NFC doesn't really die like that. The only power required is on the reader side.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's just it... passive NFC doesn't really die like that. The only power required is on the reader side.
no no.. OP said "If the fob is dead". Dead means doesn't work. throw it away. Doesn't exist. Pretend it is a brick. Or that it got run over and crushed. Flushed down the toilet. See what Im saying? BROKEN.

Now what.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
no no.. OP said "If the fob is dead". Dead means doesn't work. throw it away. Doesn't exist. Pretend it is a brick. Or that it got run over and crushed. Flushed down the toilet. See what Im saying? BROKEN.

Now what.
Same thing if you totally lose your keys.. you visit the electronic equivalent service (locksmith) that will marry a fob to your car.

Why is this an issue? :confused:
Sponsored