Sponsored

I'm probably nuts but, anyone move from the S550 to a Golf R or Audi S3?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Hi all,

I've had my Mustang for about 1.75 years now. I have a bad habit of only keeping cars for about 3 years before moving on. Though with the Mustang, I was certain I'd keep it for much longer than that - as we all know, it really is a great car.

But alas, every now and then I feel the new car 'itch' starting to settle in (I wouldn't make any move until spring at the earliest). I've always liked the R and the S3 even more so. For sure they are a bit of a different beast than the mustang, but that is part of the appeal.

Wondering if anyone here has made the move to/or own the R or S3 and what they think of them.

I know I would miss the coyote engine. I live at about 3500 feet with a DA ranging from 2500 to 5900. Am thinking that while there is an obvious power gap between the cars (even after factoring in Mustangs heftier weight), the turbo engine is not going to take as much a hit at altitude as the NA coyote - so that hp gap will not be as big for me as it would be for someone at sea level. Still I appreciate I will be taking a power hit with such a move.

I do find the thought of moving into something smaller/lighter and awd appealing and I do like the idea that with a tune or piggy back these cars become a veritable rocket to 100mph - which is more than adequate for the street (no track near me)

One of the reasons I hesitate to leave the mustang is that the engine and the rest of the car are proving to be really quite reliable (and of course the ridiculous power you can make with them). Yes, like any vehicle you will find people who have problems, but as a whole the s550 is shaping up to be a very reliable car - something that is not necessarily equated with a performance oriented car.

Does anyone know if there are any 'known' issues with these (R/S3) cars? Items like the water pump on the n54 bmws - where they may last 100,000 miles or you may go through 3 before you warranty expires.

It seems I go for months at a time thinking 'mustang forever'. And then every now and then the 'itch' for something different takes hold - when it does the R and S3 are always what come to mind.

Anyways, am hoping things can stay civil, just looking for feedback from people who have had experience with both the s550 and R/S3
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
No your not nuts, i had few vw's back in the day a corrado and a gti..

Phines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I was looking at the exact same 2 cars. There seems to be a lot of complaints about the manual transmission in the Golf R, so the DSG seems to be the better bet there. With a tune, they are extremely quick off the line. I was interested in the Golf R since it seems to be a better value for what is essentially the same car as the S3. It seems to be very hard to find a golf R and one that is not a manual. They are very limited production. Still cant talk myself out of selling the GT though, especially after modding it. Maybe one day I will pick one up used once I have kids

JasonS1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP M6
My wife has got a S3 back in February. Great commuting car, but it really is a bit boring compared to the Mustang.

It's plenty quick and the build quality, especially the interior, is very attractive. But it just doesn't put a smile on my face like my Mustang does.

My wife's car is stock, so I imagine that if you mod it (tune, lowering springs, exhaust, etc.) that may wake the senses up a bit more.

Mike A.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
The GTI/Golf R is a blast. Two cars ago I had a 2011 GT, then I had a MK6 GTI with an APR tune for a couple of years. Now I have a 2015 GT. :cheers: Before I bought the GT I was going back and forth between the Golf R and the GT. The little hatch back is a blast, especially if you live somewhere with some tight windy roads. Throw an APR stage 1 tune and some Pilot Super Sports on it and you have a little rocket.

I imagine in about 2 years I'll get the itch for the small, fun hatch again....You aren't crazy! :headbonk:

Sponsored

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Those cars will have a refinement, especially the S3, that the Mustang can't touch. They're also WAY smaller and that has its virtues. However, neither one of them is badass like the 'Stang and so you'll miss that for sure. Both probably handle much better and ride much better, though, so net/net you may be more fulfilled.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Direct injected turbo engines are reason enough not to buy. (Former mazdaspeed6 owner of 10 years.)

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Golf R interests me but only if leased. VW is a quality nightmare after 3 to 5 years old. Brothers Passat had constant O2 fouling that could never be fixed, wife's jetta window tracks would crack during the winter and drop the window in the door and her trans started slipping with 40k, guy at work with a 3 year old GTI with DCT started slipping, brothers Jetta glove box door broke 3 times and he had the same window track problem, etc etc.

OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The GTI/Golf R is a blast. Two cars ago I had a 2011 GT, then I had a MK6 GTI with an APR tune for a couple of years. Now I have a 2015 GT. :cheers: Before I bought the GT I was going back and forth between the Golf R and the GT. The little hatch back is a blast, especially if you live somewhere with some tight windy roads. Throw an APR stage 1 tune and some Pilot Super Sports on it and you have a little rocket.

I imagine in about 2 years I'll get the itch for the small, fun hatch again....You aren't crazy! :headbonk:
The idea of a 'grown-up' pocket rocket is definitely appealing.

Direct injected turbo engines are reason enough not to buy. (Former mazdaspeed6 owner of 10 years.)
I had a speed 3 as well, but only for a couple of years. Also had direct injection in my 135i. Is it because the valves getting fouled and needing cleaning that turns you off?

Golf R interests me but only if leased. VW is a quality nightmare after 3 to 5 years old. Brothers Passat had constant O2 fouling that could never be fixed, wife's jetta window tracks would crack during the winter and drop the window in the door and her trans started slipping with 40k, guy at work with a 3 year old GTI with DCT started slipping, brothers Jetta glove box door broke 3 times and he had the same window track problem, etc etc.
This is a big part of my concern. And not so much that things will start to fail, but the cost to fix as well. My 135i was 6 years old when I sold it. I only had it for 2 years or so and it did treat me fairly well, but I was always worried the water pump would go and leave me stranded. It had developed a leaky evaporator that would have cost a days labor (at about $150cdn) just to get at it.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I'm think of going to a BMW 4 series. The 428i has potential with some tuning and the 435 is pretty good as-is. There is a 2014 428i with 24K miles for sale local that has the M sport suspension package. It's about the same price as a used GT. I need to go drive it but I think the refinement level will be several notches above a Mustang. That matters to me since I've been fighting Ford over the driveline vibration problem since the day I got my car and I'm pretty tired of it.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
Not sure about the s3, but just yesterday I was on my way to pick up my daughter at school (Freshman at BSU) what an S4 tried picking on me. I left the light normally and he guns it. I just rolled on the power and grabbed second and just walked past him. I definitely heard his supercharger wailing away as I drove by him. Don't know if he was tuned or cold air or what, but the look on his face said it all.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I'm think of going to a BMW 4 series. The 428i has potential with some tuning and the 435 is pretty good as-is. There is a 2014 428i with 24K miles for sale local that has the M sport suspension package. It's about the same price as a used GT. I need to go drive it but I think the refinement level will be several notches above a Mustang. That matters to me since I've been fighting Ford over the driveline vibration problem since the day I got my car and I'm pretty tired of it.
"Refinement" comes at a cost. European maintenance costs are excessive to say the least. And they are famous for not covering warranties when they don't do the maintenance.

My S6 was $1200.00 every 10K miles. If you get the Service plan then good, as I did, but as soon as that stuff was up I sold it quick.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Hi all,

I've had my Mustang for about 1.75 years now. I have a bad habit of only keeping cars for about 3 years before moving on. Though with the Mustang, I was certain I'd keep it for much longer than that - as we all know, it really is a great car.

But alas, every now and then I feel the new car 'itch' starting to settle in (I wouldn't make any move until spring at the earliest). I've always liked the R and the S3 even more so. For sure they are a bit of a different beast than the mustang, but that is part of the appeal.

Wondering if anyone here has made the move to/or own the R or S3 and what they think of them.

I know I would miss the coyote engine. I live at about 3500 feet with a DA ranging from 2500 to 5900. Am thinking that while there is an obvious power gap between the cars (even after factoring in Mustangs heftier weight), the turbo engine is not going to take as much a hit at altitude as the NA coyote - so that hp gap will not be as big for me as it would be for someone at sea level. Still I appreciate I will be taking a power hit with such a move.

I do find the thought of moving into something smaller/lighter and awd appealing and I do like the idea that with a tune or piggy back these cars become a veritable rocket to 100mph - which is more than adequate for the street (no track near me)

One of the reasons I hesitate to leave the mustang is that the engine and the rest of the car are proving to be really quite reliable (and of course the ridiculous power you can make with them). Yes, like any vehicle you will find people who have problems, but as a whole the s550 is shaping up to be a very reliable car - something that is not necessarily equated with a performance oriented car.

Does anyone know if there are any 'known' issues with these (R/S3) cars? Items like the water pump on the n54 bmws - where they may last 100,000 miles or you may go through 3 before you warranty expires.

It seems I go for months at a time thinking 'mustang forever'. And then every now and then the 'itch' for something different takes hold - when it does the R and S3 are always what come to mind.

Anyways, am hoping things can stay civil, just looking for feedback from people who have had experience with both the s550 and R/S3
Spend that money on forced induction. Problem solved.

OP
OP

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Spend that money on forced induction. Problem solved.
Honestly. This might be the long and short of it and has certainly crossed my mind.

As has moving into a 2018 if they get the 10 speed auto and a nice power bump.
Sponsored