I have NEVER had good gas mpg in my v6

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
City driving is not good for mileage, but sitting at idle for 20 minutes is killing it. To illustrate what the car with V6 is capable of doing, I have a 2017 V6 auto with a bit less than 5k miles, and my trip2 meter, zeroed at delivery, shows an overall average of 31.7 last time I looked at it. This is a road car, with almost zero stop and go driving. Most miles are 2 lane rural roads at between 55 and 65 mph,or interstate driving at 70mph. I do not hypemile it, but I also don't blast away from stops. I see it as a true traditional GT (Grand Touring) car in the European tradition, not the GT that suggests racing. The car is amazing, and provides exactly what I was looking for when I bought it.
Sponsored

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
The wheels don't help either. I threw 20s on mine and the MPGs dipped hard. My highway driving on 20s sits right about 22.5mpg. When I was on 18s, I would get 29mpg. Right now I'm averaging 18.4mpg with my 20s. mixed driving, as well, stop and go, pushing the skinny pedal down hard, and anything in between. I am tuned tho, and I have a cat back exhaust, so the engine breaths a little better.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
My thoughts are that the idling is killing the MPGs. Even with the ecoboot if I've filled up within the past 20-30 miles I can see the MPG dropping just waiting for the gate to open for a minute or so. I couldn't imaging idling it for 20 minutes daily.

markbento

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 V6 Drop top
I got about 7K on mine. I drive about 80% highway. I took delivery of the car June 26 2016. so i did that in 3 months. I use 87. I don't put it in to sport mode unless I want to beat on it. And my trip 2 is solid at 24.8mpg and that is from day 1, I've never reset it.

I drive alot of highway. I range from 28-32mpg if I reset it at 75mph and drive 150 miles. if i reset it from my driveway to highway to destination I get 26-27MPG. I don't sit idle in the car to much. only mod is K&N drop in, xpipe and GT mufflers.

One think i have noticed with the auto is it'll dog, if your doing say 45mph(in 6th) and want to speed up to 55mph slowly you get absolute shit MPG, down shift and excel faster, better. it doesn't produce shit for HP around 1600-1800 rpm and causes the MPG to be horrible, it wants to be in the 2000-2400rpm range so it's got enough power to actually move the car.

But either way i'm getting just around 380 miles per tank vs... my 14-18mpg jeep.
Check out MPT tune they wake the car up more than you can believe its worth it and you will not think you are in the same car you drove off the lot if you do nothing for mods than there tune you will be very happy

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Im mostly city..about 90-95% and i get about 16-17 mpg. When im driving aggressively thats when ill get 14 mpg.

Try filling up and resetting...then for the whole tank just drive as tame as possible, see what you get.

Sponsored

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
I've had three Cyclone powered vehicles that have gotten great gas mileage and longevity.
One vehicle is a Ford 150, one is a Mazda6, and one is my CyclonePony. Here's what I've found for great mileage with this engine...K&N drop in, 93 octane fuel, and Royal Purple oil. On my 2015 Mustang vert I averaged 30.2 on a 1,800 mile trip out west this summer. But most times 28+mpg driving normally. Once a month I really "blow the carbon" out of my Pony.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
It's hard to compare mileage with others. City driving varies so much. Some city drivers only stop occasionally at red lights, whereas others might be stuck in bumper to bumper. The tire size would affect you as it takes more force to get a bigger/heavier tire into motion. And as others have said, idling will also affect it. You can test the idle pretty easily. Reset trip 1, drive a few miles, then sit at idle for 20 minutes and see what happens.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Any ideas how to diagnose what the hell is going on with my car?

2015 V6, no performance mods, oil changed regularly with what the car calls for, 87 gas, 14k miles on it.

I do have 20's with 255/35/20 in the front and 275/35/20 in the rear. The rear wheels also have 1" American Muscle spacers on them. Ive heard them sticking out a little can cause drag, therefore affecting MPG somewhat, BUT.............my car is ALWAYS in the 12mpg range when I look at the average fuel economy on the dash. I do not drive in sport mode, I do not use the paddle shifters. I drive the car to and from work daily in city, with an occasional hwy cruise somwhere on the weekend. I do sit in it with it running on idle while on my lunch break for about 20 min daily. Could that be the culprit? Seems weird to me, as I did this exact same route to and from work everyday, sat in the car with it on idle the same every day, etc with my Hemi charger on 24" rims and got 13-14mpg

Sitting with it in idle is probably the culprit.

I get about 28mpg pure freeway.

about 19 mpg around the city when there's no traffic

And about 13 mpg on my current commute which is at 5mph on the freeway (Nightmare L.A).

It really depends on driving conditions with this car. If you are hitting the accelerator and brakes a lot it really eats in to the mileage.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
On my V6 with Regular gas I get about 19 around town, and about 28-30 on the highway. Its been pretty consistent but I have seen occasional MPG as low as 14-16 around town and 24-26 on the highway, with no reason why..
Sponsored