Sponsored

I drove a 911 992 S yesterday and I genuinely think my 22 mustang gt is better!

Jazzman0718

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback. 2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this quote in Car& Driver's recent comparo between and M2 and a Darkhorse: "The Mustang is more work but sometimes work is more fun."
Pushing a slow car to go fast and a chunky car to corner can be more fun. It's why people love their clunking Foresters and 4Runners. Character means more to some people. Respect.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Ruby Red - 1st Mustang
The fun part about Porsche’s is that you have to thrash them to get everything out of it on a track but that doesn’t make them more fun to drive on the road it just makes them feel comfortable on normal roads.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
Kind of a hard question because the Mustang is a track car only and i have been racing or tracking for the past 30 years + and for me it’s an addiction and the only way to really push a car. Driving on the street, even aggressive canyon driving can’t even come close to compare
All those vehicles are toys since i have a couple of dd vehicles
Anyhow, in this particular situation, i would keep the track car, namely the Mustang
If i was not a track addict, it would be the Viper because it’s really a unique (very rare to see another one, not like the porsche or mustang) raw, unrefined, and sometimes very scary
Monster of a car. I would also add that i love the design and esthetics of the snake
Awesome thank you very much for the insight. I track my mustang at local road courses too, it's quite fun there. I hope to at some point get a lot more seat time, but for now i only get a couple a year. Thanks again for your insight 🙏

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
The fun part about Porsche’s is that you have to thrash them to get everything out of it on a track but that doesn’t make them more fun to drive on the road it just makes them feel comfortable on normal roads.
I can only really reply based on my experiences with a supercharged 2017 GT PP, and a 17 GT350R on the street vs a 914, 991.2 turbo s and a 718 GT4.

I have much more confidence in the handling of the Porsche products than I do with the mustangs.

The exhaust of the GT350R is ridiculously awesome but I kinda like the flat six in the gt4 winding up to 8000 rpm’s a bit more. The Turbo S is so subdued it’s surreal that it does what it does without much fanfare. All the while my regular GT with a Roush exhaust was a bit too much hooliganism for me to daily anymore.

This is a conversation that could last forever. Lol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can only really reply based on my experiences with a supercharged 2017 GT PP, and a 17 GT350R on the street vs a 914, 991.2 turbo s and a 718 GT4.

I have much more confidence in the handling of the Porsche products than I do with the mustangs.

The exhaust of the GT350R is ridiculously awesome but I kinda like the flat six in the gt4 winding up to 8000 rpm’s a bit more. The Turbo S is so subdued it’s surreal that it does what it does without much fanfare. All the while my regular GT with a Roush exhaust was a bit too much hooliganism for me to daily anymore.

This is a conversation that could last forever. Lol
I think the composure makes them just a little less fun to drive. The mustang is more about fun driving no matter where you are.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Germany makes nice cars. Used to have a Mercedes and now have an Audi SQ5. It really does feel like Germany has less diversity hires building their cars.
We can agree on "vehicle" but calling an abomination like an SUV a "car"...
And the concepts of "sport" and "SUV" are the complete opposite.

By the way, it's not the diversity hire thing (but I can relate to that, where you live it is probably becoming quite tiring, it is becoming here...) but the German way of thinking. They do a thing properly or they don't. There is no middle ground. It has its plus and drawbacks.
In Italy, well, you know, everything is a middle ground and will do.... one way or another. Similarly, it has its plus and drawbacks.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The level of delusion I aspire to, truly.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I think the composure makes them just a little less fun to drive. The mustang is more about fun driving no matter where you are.
I felt that way when I was younger. Now I look for a car that definitely exceeds my driving skills. My Mustang had handling quirks that "surprised" me and always felt heavy. The Porsche and BMW models I have owned have had no surprises and great balance. But, I'm over 80 and hearing impaired so I'll take all the help I can get. Obviously, V8 sound isn't a factor for me.

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

By the way, it's not the diversity hire thing (but I can relate to that, where you live it is probably becoming quite tiring, it is becoming here...) but the German way of thinking. They do a thing properly or they don't. There is no middle ground. It has its plus and drawbacks.
In Italy, well, you know, everything is a middle ground and will do.... one way or another. Similarly, it has its plus and drawbacks.
Being that the SUV has a turbo v6 that puts out 350hp and is on air suspension, it's a fun car to drive. A simple chip that my wife, (may or may not know) is going to happen takes it up over 400hp. Some would call it 'sporty'.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The sport in SUV is not the same kind of sport in sports car.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
They do a thing properly or they don't.
apparently "properly" in German Webster's is defined as, design a part with 5x more complexity and cost when a $10 one will never break and if it does, takes 5 minutes to replace.

And put timing and cam chains on the backside of a motor so it's a complete engine+trans-out to do "routine" maintenance. And also not bother to notice that DI-only fueling causes massive carbon build-up and have the owner need to walnut the heads every 40,000 miles.

I swear German engineers are rewarded on how convoluted and pointlessly complicated they can make parts and service procedures.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I suspect the OP meant he enjoys the Mustang more. To say it's "better" has an objectiveness to it that we all know is wrong. "Better" can mean many things but quality and how it performs are 2 that come to mind and the Porsche has better quality and performs better, based on objective #'s.

Going back to a subjective feeling between the 2, I'd likely agree with him/her although I'll admit to never having driven a Porsche (besides something years ago I can't recall).

All I know is that, for me, sound plays a HUGE role in my enjoyment of my Bullitt and my motorcycles and I can't see any flat six matching the sound I get in Sport+ in my car. As long as it continues to do so, it'll stay with me until I die.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I swear German engineers are rewarded on how convoluted and pointlessly complicated they can make parts and service procedures.
You know that I just finished researching in Mercedes WIS all the service procedures to change the spark plugs in my A Class?
It takes 7 service procedures to disassemble the same number of subassemblies to reach to the point where you have the plugs in your hands.
And it's mandatory every three years.... sound like I'm going to have a fun weekend.

So yes, I can understand that. And thankfully the M260 engine has the timing chain on the correct side... :party:.

But just lets be serious for a second: they do this for a reason and it's emissions compliance / fuel economy. Over here the game for car makers is to just stay alive, they don't care anymore if the car is serviceable, it's designed for longer life or what else.
It just needs to pass the emissions test, then, what happens 4 years down the line when the hybrid powertrain is boiled and needs replacing it's not their business anymore (family experience here, and well, basic li-ion chemistry just being what it is).
Now they care about being able to breath and stay in business for the next few years.

Europe is a dystopian place in which to make cars.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I suspect the OP meant he enjoys the Mustang more. To say it's "better" has an objectiveness to it that we all know is wrong. "Better" can mean many things but quality and how it performs are 2 that come to mind and the Porsche has better quality and performs better, based on objective #'s.

Going back to a subjective feeling between the 2, I'd likely agree with him/her although I'll admit to never having driven a Porsche (besides something years ago I can't recall).

All I know is that, for me, sound plays a HUGE role in my enjoyment of my Bullitt and my motorcycles and I can't see any flat six matching the sound I get in Sport+ in my car. As long as it continues to do so, it'll stay with me until I die.
Which motorcycles do you ride ?
Sponsored