Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
The body panels are sometimes painted as a friendly reminder they should be repainted at some point. But FPCV8YO's car is going to come out as if it had a "Show Car" sign taped to it, I'm sure!
Sponsored

OP
OP
FPCV8YO

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
OP
OP
FPCV8YO

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
The body panels are sometimes painted as a friendly reminder they should be repainted at some point. But FPCV8YO's car is going to come out as if it had a "Show Car" sign taped to it, I'm sure!
Nice of you to say. I can only hope.

OP
OP
FPCV8YO

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
I haven't seen too many '17 buyers complaining. Maybe Ford tightened things up a little for 2017.
Can I hire :cheers: you to come to the dealership for the initial inspection upon arrival? I can't think of anyone I'd rather have there. You've been thru it (twice).

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would bring him along for no other reason than to check the front splitter

OP
OP
FPCV8YO

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
I would bring him along for no other reason than to check the front splitter
I already sent them the video too.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I told the tech that I was going to install the splitter and he smiled and thanked me.

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Can I hire :cheers: you to come to the dealership for the initial inspection upon arrival? I can't think of anyone I'd rather have there. You've been thru it (twice).
I'd do it for free (or lunch maybe.) It's actually on my to-do list to write a nice long thread about common problems to look for when shopping and/or taking delivery of a new Mustang, with GT350 specific issues as well.

Here's the short list...

DO THIS EARLY: Insist that they don't install the front license plate bracket! Most dealers don't, but better safe than sorry.
Ask them what they found during the delivery inspection.
If you know a good detailer (or even if you don't, find one), tell them not to PDI it, meaning don't let them wash it. (I can't stress this enough, I think this is what ruined the stripes on my first car.) Wash it yourself or let your detailer do it. If they need to wash it because it's filthy from transport, let them wash (touchless, with a hose for instance) the surface grime off but don't let them rub all over it with anything except a good microfibre towel, and even then only enough to dry it for inspection.
Make sure they remove the spacers from the R dampers.
Check the stripes for good adhesion and centering on the car. I've seen a lot of cars that still have the wax pencil marks put on by the stripes installers. Best if you wash these off yourself, or have your detailer do it.
Check the wheels for damage.
Make sure they take it out of transport mode.
Bring a bright LED flashlight and inspect the paint and stripes for spider-web scratches. Probably best to do this in direct sunlight if possible.
Use the LED flashlight to check for touchup paint on the exterior. It's most often found where body panels meet. I've seen it where the front/rear bumper covers meet the fenders mostly.
Thoroughly inspect the splitter if it's installed (install it yourself if you have any wrenching abilities.) If the dealer does it, insist that they watch the video first. Make sure all the fasteners are installed. Stick your finger up in the "45 degree" holes and feel for the bolt heads.
Ask them to put the car on a lift so you can inspect the underside of the car. Probably best to do this prior to splitter install so you can inspect the fascia tabs that are often damaged during loading/unloading.
Check all the panel gaps. Maybe even take the tolerances document with you. I can provide it if you need it. (Maybe a bit overkill, but your car, your choice.) I've seen quite a few cars (including mine) that have a significant hood-to-fender alignment issue where the hood sticks up above the fender, i.e. it is not flush with the fender on the driver's side at the front of the car near the headlights.
If they put a rear license plate marketing frame on the car have them remove it to make sure they didn't accidentally use the European dimples to mount it first (I learned this the hard way)
Check for paint boogers especially on the leading edge of the hood.
Thoroughly inspect every inch of the paint for contaminants, scratches and chips.
Thoroughly inspect the rear spoiler for scratches, scuffs and chips.
Thoroughly inspect the interior for scratches, scuffs, cuts, including seat backs.
If you bought the car cover with the car make sure it's in the trunk or you retrieve it from the parts department.
Check the rear window glass for proper alignment.
Make sure any issues to be repaired are reflected on the due-bill.

I'm sure there's more. That's just off the top of my head. :)
IMG_2002.jpg
GT350TouchUp.jpg
GT350G0RearBumperHoles.jpg
IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2230.jpg
IMG_2251.jpg
IMG_2254.jpg

Last edited:

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Having said all that, I think you'll be fine as you'll be getting your car straight off the truck. I think many of the things you see above happen to the cars that sit on the dealer's lot/showroom for any significant amount of time, as my second car did.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FPCV8YO

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Having said all that, I think you'll be fine as you'll be getting your car straight off the truck. I think many of the things you see above happen to the cars that sit on the dealer's lot/showroom for any significant amount of time, as my second car did.
I still might take you up on your generous offer if the timing works out. It'd be nice to have a calm knowledgable presence as I'll probably be all :love:.

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure you will. :) Please don't let my bad experiences with Ford (I must be the unluckiest Mustang lover on the planet) dampen your excitement for the R. Let's think positively. Yours is going to be a fine instance and specimen of Ford quality. I'm excited for you.

OP
OP
FPCV8YO

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
I'm sure you will. :) Please don't let my bad experiences with Ford (I must be the unluckiest Mustang lover on the planet) dampen your excitement for the R. Let's think positively. Yours is going to be a fine instance and specimen of Ford quality. I'm excited for you.
If it was only you...
Sponsored