Sponsored

Hump on rear Quarter panel.

CSfastlane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt
Went to look at a 2015 Mustang this weekend. It has a clean history with no accidents reported. But one thing I noticed is there is a section of the driver side quarter panel above the factory crease that is pushed out. Almost like a bulge or hump. It is noticeable when comparing to passenger side. There is no paint damage or scratches there almost looks like it may of bottomed out and the wheel hit inside and pushed it out. Is this even possible where it it at? What other things could cause this. Maybe unreported damage that just wasn’t fixed properly? It has all factory welds and quarter panels so hasn’t been replaced. I have attached a photo of my previous mustang with the location of the bulge circled for reference. I’m thinking just bad body work? Or has anyone had this happen from something else? Any help would be appreciated. Looking to get back into a mustang and this one ticks all the boxes besides possible hidden damage.

IMG_4142.jpeg
Sponsored

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
If I was looking for a new car no matter a Mustang or any one else and discover that kind of " defect" I would pass without hesitation. This is too suspect to cover previous accident or any other damages to the car. There is so many other cars available on the market. A Mustang this is not a one of a kind car so forget it and pass to another!

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
Check to make sure it didn't get tapped in the back. That kind of damage says it got pushed in. Any previous body damage on any car you're interested in should be be a hard pass. There's a nice clean unmolested car out there in you're price range. Just got to keep looking. Good luck with your quest.

OP
OP

CSfastlane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt
Check to make sure it didn't get tapped in the back. That kind of damage says it got pushed in. Any previous body damage on any car you're interested in should be be a hard pass. There's a nice clean unmolested car out there in you're price range. Just got to keep looking. Good luck with your quest.
I checked the trunk pan under the carpet and everything and nothing looked crinkled all factory welds. It is a 2015 competition orange gt premium, performance pack with a procharger. It only has 35k miles and I can buy it for 27k. Seemed like a stupid deal to pass up. But that what I was thinking it was tapped in the back. But don’t figure there would be other damage somewhere.

Johnny maverick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt fx4 4k lux 89 cougar xr7 5spd 84
I checked the trunk pan under the carpet and everything and nothing looked crinkled all factory welds. It is a 2015 competition orange gt premium, performance pack with a procharger. It only has 35k miles and I can buy it for 27k. Seemed like a stupid deal to pass up. But that what I was thinking it was tapped in the back. But don’t figure there would be other damage somewhere.
Not much to the body's. It wouldn't take much to make it move around. You can kick a car and car and cause thousands. If you're unsure lots of places will do a pre buy inspection. They'll look for body damage and repairs and let you know even if it passes inspection. Most places just look to see if it passes inspection not to see if it ever been wrecked or messed with. I'm not really afraid of buying repaired cars as long as it's better than new. I would want it absolutely perfect

OP
OP

CSfastlane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 mustang gt
Not much to the body's. It wouldn't take much to make it move around. You can kick a car and car and cause thousands. If you're unsure lots of places will do a pre buy inspection. They'll look for body damage and repairs and let you know even if it passes inspection. Most places just look to see if it passes inspection not to see if it ever been wrecked or messed with. I'm not really afraid of buying repaired cars as long as it's better than new. I would want it absolutely perfect
Yea I don’t think it is something that was repaired or current owner new about, you have to really look and I’m ocd about stuff. It still have all original panels. The kind of deal it is I think I could live with it don’t know about fixing it though or what caused it. The car is in the middle of nowhere on a farm 1 1/2 hours from civilization and the pictures he took look like they was taken with a potato. One reason I think he hasn’t had any luck selling. I drove 9 hours both ways to look it. It would be hard to get it inspected and all that it being so far away from anything. For a supercharged low mileage car I can’t find anything close to 27k, I may roll the dice
Sponsored