Sponsored

How to stop scraping

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I just moved into a new apartment and the driveway to get into my garage is so steep that I scrape my exhaust very badly going in and out. I have been parking on the street instead (which makes me very nervous).

I have Steeda progressive springs on the car and am considering switching back to the factory pp springs, this isnt ideal but it might be worth it to park in the garage.

I am also thinking of trying to get some sort of plastic skid plat under there so I am scraping that instead of my exhaust (corsa). Not sure if this would help :shrug:

Has anybody had scraping issues and do you have any suggestions on how I might fix this issue, I could also go bags and then I would be able to go up and down or coilovers I guess but that wouldnt be as easy to raise and lower but either of those would probably be pretty bad for my warranty lol
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Raise the car.
Agreed. One reason I'm against lowering cars, life has a way of throwing curve balls and there isn't much you can do sometimes.

The site says it only dropped an inch in the back. Is that about what it did? If so, your apartment is an extreme case of steep ramps or your exhaust is hanging low or far out (depends on what is hitting).

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I just moved into a new apartment and the driveway to get into my garage is so steep that I scrape my exhaust very badly going in and out. I have been parking on the street instead (which makes me very nervous).

I have Steeda progressive springs on the car and am considering switching back to the factory pp springs, this isnt ideal but it might be worth it to park in the garage.

I am also thinking of trying to get some sort of plastic skid plat under there so I am scraping that instead of my exhaust (corsa). Not sure if this would help :shrug:

Has anybody had scraping issues and do you have any suggestions on how I might fix this issue, I could also go bags and then I would be able to go up and down or coilovers I guess but that wouldnt be as easy to raise and lower but either of those would probably be pretty bad for my warranty lol
Make sure the exhaust is installed where it is tucked up as much as possible. Also, make sure that the exhaust fasteners are not hanging to low, in some cases you just turn them to get additional clearance.

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Agreed. One reason I'm against lowering cars, life has a way of throwing curve balls and there isn't much you can do sometimes.

The site says it only dropped an inch in the back. Is that about what it did? If so, your apartment is an extreme case of steep ramps or your exhaust is hanging low or far out (depends on what is hitting).
The exhaust isn't hanging low but the driveway is the perfect configuration for scraping it goes up from the street and then drop down steeply which leaves a big hump that i have to drive over, I honestly don't even know if switching back to stock would give me enough clearance, it would be a huge bummer to make the switch back and realize it didn't help all that much.

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
The exhaust isn't hanging low but the driveway is the perfect configuration for scraping it goes up from the street and then drop down steeply which leaves a big hump that i have to drive over, I honestly don't even know if switching back to stock would give me enough clearance, it would be a huge bummer to make the switch back and realize it didn't help all that much.
Yeah, I have had those before. It pisses the owners off but I filled in some of the gap with dirt to help my transition as I was tired of scraping and them doing nothing to fix the issue ("None of the lifted trucks in the area complain :paddle: )

I'd try and see what you can do with the ramp before swapping out the suspension if this is your only problem area. If it doesn't cost them any money and isn't permanent, the staff may likely not care what you do. Keep it simple, no sense in throwing money at it.

P.S. Post pics. That may help tremendously. Take a pic of just the ramp and then your car right before it scrapes.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
can you cross it at an angle? My old cobra was pretty low (soda can wouldn't fit under it) so I had to traverse speed bumps and ramps at an angle in order to avoid scraping my long tube collectors. Have you tried to get two wheels contacting the bump at the same time at an angle, front left and rear right or front left and rear right, while going slowly over the bump? Could give you the clearance you need as it should allow the bottom to be at it's highest point going over the bump without suspension movement.

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I appreciate all of the suggestions guys!!

I have tried it at an angle and simply can't get it angled enough not to scrape. I think I need to post some pics to clarify the type of driveway I am talking about.

I would definitely add some dirt or something else to make the angle less intense but unfortunately the driveway is for the entire building and the property management definitely wouldn't let me do that :(

I'll post some pics of the angles we are talking about here when I get back home.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Steeda spring spacers? They're fairly inexpensive...

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Pics of the drive way?

16_DIB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Make some wooden ramps out of 2x8s

OP
OP
AttiS550

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry for the delays in the pics, had kind of a crazy week. Unfortunately I cannot modify the driveway in any way because it is a community driveway for my entire apt building.

I will post pics of the driveway as soon as I get a second to snap some.

16_DIB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hector
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Sorry for the delays in the pics, had kind of a crazy week. Unfortunately I cannot modify the driveway in any way because it is a community driveway for my entire apt building.

I will post pics of the driveway as soon as I get a second to snap some.

you can make them short enough to fit and keep in your trunk and put them down when you drive through and then pick them up. not much else you can do.
Sponsored