Sponsored

How Functional is a Functional Rear Wing?

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I’ll be selling a Steeda Functional race wing in the coming weeks.. BLACK painted.

230FBB56-D912-4280-BC6A-C43CD6EB0395.jpeg

It’s been on the car ever since I’ve been going on track. It is paired with a APR front PP splitter, which has given the car a nice balance over the last few seasons.
Now it’s time to go up a notch, having purchased the APR GT250 wing during Black Friday week. $1600 delivered. It’s going on this weekend.

Such a shame I can’t drive over 70 mph until March at next event.. 😜
Looking forward to a fun season learning and setting up the car all over again with additional aero.
Keep an eye out in the classifieds.. I won’t be asking for much.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
If you aren't shitting yourself in 2, then I don't know what it takes...
2 is completely at another level, it's basically leap of faith. commit to it and never ever lift. Poo-comes-out moments have happened for sure. 😄

About the same in 4. Some guy from advanced group rolled over pretty badly there in one of the HPDE events this year. Came from US and I think it was his first time on this track. they had to call firefighters to cut him out and a chopper to transport to hospital. Roll cage saved him and instructor. The car was pretty much totalled.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Not the first...

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
...or last.

Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot feel any difference in mine with regard to downforce.

DSC_2796.JPG
DSC_2795.JPG

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I think the broader question should be:
At what speed does a rear spoiler/wing (and front splitter) truly become functional and aid in aerodynamics/downforce?

Getting either part upgraded to "X" won't do diddly on US highways at the posted average 65mph, or in some States where it's 75mph (if safely obtainable due to traffic congestion/patterns).

I think some of the more experienced M6Gers responding in this thread have more on-track time and experience than a lot of the members on this site combined. "Feeling" downforce just because someone bought XYZ wing or splitter isn't like changing tires and feeling variances in road imperfections to the guy/gal who doesn't have any track time under their belts. The guys/gals on this site who truly are dedicated trackers can definitely determine and "feel" the change when swapping out spoilers/wings/splitters, because they are not only experienced with XYZ track and their driving skills - BUT they're not putzing around at 50mph-80mph in stop-n-go traffic while turning off to hit up a burger joint or the local grocery store....

The only time a wing/spoiler/splitter is effective is when the car is being pushed to its limits for duration and/or is also maintained at consistent high speed/rpm runs. Those who also consistently visit the same track and know it with their eyes closed are the ones that can "feel" such change.

If the car isn't going to a track, isn't being used as mentioned right above and is just a driver - doesn't matter which spoiler/wing/splitter is slapped on, as others have said before me - functionality means zilch and is looks only.

----
This Company, Verus Engineering, is very well known and they too have a ton of great tech on their site demonstrating aerodynamics and the effects of air flow around vehicles. This link has a great amount of airflow tech for the S550:
https://www.verus-engineering.com/w...c81d688ddcccf96ac8dbb57848f0759&download=true

---

The slightest change made to the front of any vehicle (ie: splitters, valances, nose cone openings, hood design or hood openings, mirrors, front fender design or windshield cowling) affects airflow through and around the vehicle. Even a change in the rear spoiler/wing or rear valance impacts downforce the vehicle experiences - and that could be a negative or positive impact.

Sure, most performance car owners don't even take their cars on a track and to which this aerodynamic air flow discussion is moot.

It's moot because that group of owners may add body kits, body parts or modify existing body panels that are for their aesthetic enjoyment and they're not logging or experiencing any positive OR negative aspects of such parts or those modifications.

Last edited:

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I cannot feel any difference in mine with regard to downforce.

DSC_2796.JPG
DSC_2795.JPG
I can tell a difference in my MPG after installing the FP Swing and gurney flap on my car! It dropped 1 or 2 MPGs. I can also feel more drag on the interstate at high speeds. It is the best looking spoiler on a Mustang though!

Schnder95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Roush S/N 22-0001 TP
Best way to see how the wing works with said car is to take it to wind tunnel and get reading at certain wind speeds and see how the downforce changes. i did it with my Roush and its interesting info as i have the active carbon fiber wing.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Best way to see how the wing works with said car is to take it to wind tunnel and get reading at certain wind speeds and see how the downforce changes. i did it with my Roush and its interesting info as i have the active carbon fiber wing.
The Victor Racing one?

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Schnder95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Roush S/N 22-0001 TP
Last edited:

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
No just the Roush carbon fiber factory wing.
🤔 I'm puzzled here....
I'm 99.999% certain Roush does not sell a wing (spoiler yes, but not a wing) nor do they sell an active one at that. I could be wrong though; I don't follow Roush offerings closely.
Could you share a picture of your Roush active wing?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
No just the Roush carbon fiber factory wing.
interesting...I think i remember reading about it when it was released but forgot about it. Wonder how it will perform around the track

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra