Sponsored

How do you stop people from test driving your S550?

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
i just tell people where the closest ford dealer is
Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Instead of saying its at the dealer for repair say you're waiting to get it back from dealer for the seatbelt tensioner recall. This way you don't need to get into a lengthy fake conversation with gear heads on repairs that don't exist that may bring up holes in your story.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
It depends on the person, but I am generally open to people driving my car (with me in it, of course). Not sure why people here are so harsh, not the end of the world if someone else drives the car. Plus, it's a nice perspective to be in the passenger's side of your own car.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I was about to reply "just say no".

Then I remembered my niece half joking asked me to drive my car... in the rain no less.

I did not even think about, I gave her the keys and said "be careful, the car will get away from you." I then went back to talking to my mom and did not think about it until she returned.

She is over 30 and never been in a major accident... so I was not too worried. She is not the type to go ape sht and gun it either.

So my answer is "it depends". Had it been another cousin of mine, I'd said "hell no".

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Okay since you are this worried about it Just tell them that you dropped your insurance coverage down for storage this winter. Problem solved. They can sit in it and start it but no driving. Then you don't have to jack it up or lie about it breaking down.

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Relatives...

If you aren't comfortable letting your relatives drive your Mustang...how will you feel if they skid it into a ditch or rear end a more cautious driver?
You have to decide which would be the lesser pain in the a$$.

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Comp Orange. 65 Fastback ,T5, 302
Why not take them for a drive instead of them taking it from you for a drive?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... Given that, I do trust them but no one can predict an accident. They're not stand up people, they have great jobs and earn decent but if anything was scratched, they'd say oh damn and move on. Why? Cuz their mentality is- it's just a piece of material that money can replace or repair.
sounds like you are at best ambivalent, and given the statement above, I'd just say no. Either aggressively, or indirectly with an excuse.

If you felt like they were the type of people that would at least throw some cash your way to cover a deductible, or a repair, then that's another matter. But pushy + any car problem + :shrug: is a bad combo. This is a recipe for anger and resentment and best to nip that in the bud, particularly with family members.

since you have a manual transmission, its not just risk of body damage, but potential transmission problems. I am not sure what all can go wrong with the manuals, but I could imagine a scenerio where they goof a sync, and then you have a subtle gear grind as a daily reminder of your last family visit. When it comes time to hand the keys over to someone else, auto > manual.

Yeah, I never ask anyone to lend me their car and hate it when they ask to drive mine. It's difficult to say no and make things awkward because they'll be staying with us for a week.
this is already plenty generous. Guests getting pushy about borrowing the host's sports car is insensitive if not outright tacky. It's a slippery slope. Next is can I borrow your laptop? Then the wife :lol:

now its a very different story if you are doing a show & tell, and you eagerly throw your relative the keys and say "let's go for a spin! "

Sponsored

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
They're not stand up people, they have great jobs and earn decent but if anything was scratched, they'd say oh damn and move on. Why? Cuz their mentality is- it's just a piece of material that money can replace or repair.
This kind of disrespectful clown is definitely not allowed to drive MY Mustang.

Yeah, I never ask anyone to lend me their car and hate it when they ask to drive mine. It's difficult to say no and make things awkward because they'll be staying with us for a week.
They've already made the situation awkward for YOU by putting you in this situation. Turn the tables on them - "I'm offended that you would even ask me!"

I've never understood why people have such an issue with saying no. Then again, I've been called abrasive and a dick more times than I can count...
I hear those nicknames quite often as well...maybe it's a Robert thing. :cheers:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. My family unfortunately takes the whole mi casa su casa thing literally.
Family or not, you are a guest in my house. The minute you overstep those boundaries or overstay your welcome, you can leave.

Instead of saying its at the dealer for repair say you're waiting to get it back from dealer for the seatbelt tensioner recall. This way you don't need to get into a lengthy fake conversation with gear heads on repairs that don't exist that may bring up holes in your story.
This is why you shouldn't tell a lie about it. There's nothing wrong with, "I'm not comfortable with you driving the car."

It depends on the person, but I am generally open to people driving my car (with me in it, of course). Not sure why people here are so harsh, not the end of the world if someone else drives the car. Plus, it's a nice perspective to be in the passenger's side of your own car.
I've been in the passenger seat of the Mustang twice. I let my dad, a Mustang lover and previous owner of a 65 fastback, drive the car. I also let a very close friend/car mechanic/Mopar guy drive it as payment for helping me install the exhaust. I was still nervous with both of them behind the wheel, even though I wholeheartedly trust their driving skills and integrity. (Full disclosure: I'm not a good passenger in any car with any driver.)

I was about to reply "just say no".

Then I remembered my niece half joking asked me to drive my car... in the rain no less.

I did not even think about, I gave her the keys and said "be careful, the car will get away from you." I then went back to talking to my mom and did not think about it until she returned.

She is over 30 and never been in a major accident... so I was not too worried. She is not the type to go ape sht and gun it either.

So my answer is "it depends". Had it been another cousin of mine, I'd said "hell no".
I think the major difference between your example and the OP is that you trusted her. It's obvious [MENTION=18241]Sammzway[/MENTION] does NOT trust the family members in question.

In addition to my dad and my mechanic friend, I've allowed two other friends to drive the car, both without me in the car at all. One is an avid car guy who autocrosses his car regularly. He knows how to drive defensively and how to properly counteract unintended motion. He also knows how to respect other peoples' property. The other is a coworker who previously had an S197 and was strongly considering the S550. After the drive, he bought a 2015 Magnetic GTPP.

All that to say I don't have a problem with people driving my car, as long as they are trustworthy people.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Lol. I have a hard time saying "no" as well, but I usually just laugh it off and people eventually get where I'm going with that. It's worked 100% of the time and it never feels awkward.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Just say NO. Take it from me because I let my mom drive mine and she curbed both of my driver side PP wheels and damaged the sidewall of both tires.

Now I have to have the wheels repaired and just ordered two new tires on Tire Rack for $531.94 on clearance. I also have to get the wheels re coated with CQuartz.

This is the second time in 1 month that she used my car and it came back damaged. The first incident I can't fault her for because she did me a favor and ran to the store for me while I was cooking. It was parked and got hit with one of the big metal orange carts from Home Depot, took the paint completely off the bumper and was $536 to have the bumper re-sprayed, it also has to have CQuartz re applied. I paid for the bumper because I asked her to go to the store for me and it probably would have happened if I was the one that ran to the store that night.

She's paying for the tires and wheel repairs. The part that kills me is the car is not even two months old and you guessed it, she's not driving my car or any car again! She can't afford repairs so she can't afford to drive.

I flipped out when she came home with my wheels damaged and I was so mad at her that I couldn't be in the same room with her. That's not easy when she lives with me.

The moral of the story is NO ONE is driving my car but me EVER!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
I've only let my dad and brother drive mine because I trust them both, anyone else can just get a ride.
Sponsored