How do high beams work on Mustang?

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
It has a single HID bulb, right? How do the high beams work? And do they work well? My Acura has HID low beam and halogen highs. The lows turn with the steering wheel which is really cool. Gonna miss some of the features. Does the Mustang even have heated mirrors for winter?
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Yes, mirrors are heated. Not sure if it's standard on all or 400A option mine has. I've never needed them around here in Columbia though.
I will add, I have piss poor night vision. So bad I could barely see at night in my old SN95. The S550 lights up the night perfectly for me.

LOL!! I posted this yesterday not thinking that I always park up against my house. The front end of my car is never covered with dew, nor the outside mirrors. Last night I had to park out in the driveway away from the house, and sure enough I got to use my heated mirrors this morning!

Last edited:

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's a shutter thats controlled by a motor inside the housing.
On low beam, it blocks top part of the light. When you turn on high beam the shutter moves up and you get everything.
On my premium the fog light are led I believe.

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, that makes sense. Looks like I'll have to wipe my mirrors by hand on mornings when they are wet. If you part outside, heated mirrors are nice. I searched about the headlights but could not find the information. Thanks for that.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
cool, i always wondered how the high beams worked as well. german cars had to do "bi-xenon" which actually changes the angle of the projector housing. not really sure how the "bi-xenon" worked if you just "flash" the high beams though.

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
That's another thing with HID's. With halogens, you don't hesitate to use your flashing feature during the day. Now that I have a car with HID's. I don't do it unless it's really necessary, cause these bulbs don't like that, you WILL reduce the life of the bulbs. Striking a hot bulb is really bad for it. I'm also into home theater where our projectors use similar bulbs and if we shut the projector down, we wait at least 30 minutes before turning it back on. It's no fun taking apart a projector from an imploded bulb to remove all the glass, then spending $200 on a new bulb not even knowing if it will work from damage from the implosion. I've done that before. Last time my projector blew a bulb a couple hundred hours premature, when it really should have gone a few hundred over with no problem. The explosion broke the UV filter on the housing, so I had to spend $225 on a new housing with bulb installed, instead of just a bulb for $80. Love HID's, but I love that my wife's CR-V has plain halogen bulbs.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i dont think you have to worry about that on HIDs. i've gone through 4 cars with HIDs and it was never an issue. one car was 10 years old and it still had its original HIDs in it.

im aware that it's bad to rapidly turn off/on HIDs, but the worst thing that can happen is that the bulb will start emitting a pink light instead of white/blue. at that point, just replace the bulb.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP